This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

VDT: Lucy's fears on Dark Island

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

VDT: Lucy's fears on Dark Island

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 02, 2010 3:04 pm

I was skimming VDT the other day when I noticed something strange in the chapter on Dark Island. I don't have the book with me at this moment [I can quote it tomorrow]. It basically said [my memory] that after hearing this island was the place where dreams come true, Lucy wanted to be with the others in the darkness but was afraid Edmund and Caspian would turn into something ugly. What does she mean?! :-\
220chrisTian

Re: VDT: Lucy's fears on Dark Island

Postby daughter of the King » Aug 02, 2010 3:36 pm

I think the quote itself answers that question.....I think. *looks it up*

In an instant that one of her own dreams which she had tried hardest to forget came back to her as vividly as if she had only just woken from it....For a second she wanted to go down to the deck and be with Edmund and Caspian. But what was the use? If dreams began coming true, Edmund and Caspian themselves might turn into something horrible just as she reached them. The Dark Island VDT

Lucy wants to be with Caspian and Edmund because she is afraid of her own dreams which she is beginning to remember. But, she is afraid that one of their own dreams might turn them into "something horrible." I guess she assumed that either Caspian and/or Edmund had had a nightmare about being turned into something horrible.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Well, Lucy had seen Edmund turn into something horrible once before, back when he was a snivelly little worm. She'd seen him as a servant to the White Witch herself. Lucy also saw Caspian and Edmund fall prey to the sin of jealousy/greed while on Deathwater island.

I think that one could definitely make the argument that she'd had nightmares about this, in that her demeanor concerning Edmund betraying her was certainly dramatic enough for Peter and Susan to go to the Professor concerned for her mental health.

Perhaps this is the thing to which Lucy was refering?
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Ithilwen » Aug 03, 2010 11:16 pm

They could really play that up in the movie if they wanted to -- about Lucy having nightmares that her two favorite people in the world -- Edmund and Caspian -- are really evil, or will be evil someday. It could add another dimension to her character.

I've always thought it was funny about what Eustace is afraid of -- a giant pair of scissors opening and closing, lol. I wonder what he could be afraid of? Haircuts? :-\ =))
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Eustace+Jill wrote:I've always thought it was funny about what Eustace is afraid of -- a giant pair of scissors opening and closing, lol. I wonder what he could be afraid of?

I figured that they were likely cutting the sail into two pieces. This would have (in Eustace's mind) prevented/hindered his getting back home (or to a British consul ;)) )
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Shastafan » Aug 11, 2010 11:34 am

Yes, I've always loved that Eustace was afraid of the scissors! =))

I think I'd be afraid to find my buddies if I were in Lucy's situation. It'd be scary to not know if your was really there, or a dream. Now that would sure be a nightmare, not being sure if there was anyone around to comfort you... :-s
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Aug 19, 2010 1:01 pm

I think it means that she was faraid that Edmundand Caspian would turn into whatever nightmares she was seeing.....
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » Aug 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Good question. I think maybe she feels frightened and wants her protectors (Ed and, to a lesser extent, Caspian) to comfort her. But, then, she thinks that just as she reaches them, they'll turn into monsters or something like that because she had a nightmare about that, and they won't comfort her very much. She quails and becomes afraid of something that never happened, which I think is about the time the albatross appears and whispers, "Courage, dear heart." Then, being Lucy the Valiant, she recovers. :) That's my two bits.
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pepper Darcy » Sep 01, 2010 9:48 am

Eustace+Jill wrote:They could really play that up in the movie if they wanted to -- about Lucy having nightmares that her two favorite people in the world -- Edmund and Caspian -- are really evil, or will be evil someday. It could add another dimension to her character.

I've always thought it was funny about what Eustace is afraid of -- a giant pair of scissors opening and closing, lol. I wonder what he could be afraid of? Haircuts? :-\ =))

Wow, that would be really neat if they did play that up about Lucy. I had never really thought of it in the light of DigoryKirke put it. That was really inlightening and I would *so* love it if they played it out that way for Lucy in the movie. Or it'd be interesting to see *if* Lucy had nightmares just in general about what Edmund had done to her and to them in Narnia, how Edmund would react if he knew about it. That adds a lot of depth to Lucy. You never think of her as being haunted by that memory, but she probably was.

RotfL! I always thought Eustace's fear was hilarious! It cracks me up.

:music: risk it all cuz I'll catch you if you fall... if my heart was a house you'd be home :music:
Pepper Darcy
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Josh » Sep 05, 2010 2:57 pm

I always thought Lucy had a dream where Caspian and Edmund turned into some kind of monster or nightmarish beings. Some people, like my sister, have had dreams where family members turn into monsters and its not that out of the question that Lucy would have a dream like that.

As for the scissors...I never found that funny. He probably had a nightmare where he was getting cut by scissors(by accident or by someone evil).
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Pyxis » Sep 11, 2010 3:10 pm

I'd never thought that Lucy's bad dream was actually about Edmund or Caspian. I thought that she was just scared that they'd be replaced by something from her nightmares. But, after reading some of the posts, I'm sort of starting to think that Lucy had some dream involving either one or both of them. She certainly could've had nightmares about traitor!Edmund.
http://sixlittlecurlyfries.blogspot.com A collaborative blog written by me and my five friends.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Pyxis
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 12, 2010 12:31 am

She had plenty of memories about Edmund to haunt her dreams...

What about Caspian? Can anyone remember him doing something that could give her a nightmare? :-\

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 12, 2010 2:52 pm

My first thought about Lucy's nightmares, about Ed and Caspian turning into something horrible, was just what Dig and Eustace mentioned -- nightmares about their behavior, something horrible in their past. I honestly did think of Ed's treachery in LWW. Caspian, I'm not so sure. But what about his strange behavior on Deathwater Island?
220chrisTian

Postby Pepper Darcy » Sep 13, 2010 4:10 am

hmm, what if her worst nightmare had been Aslan's death? I mean, that would really haunt me if I saw *that* =/ Man, that would really haunt me... though, what Edmund had done would haunt me too. Though I have to confess I had nightmares about myself being Edmund and I was scared of him resorting back to what he had done once (like the way you guys are talking here :/ It's bad when I start having Lucy's nightmares for her...

Anyhow, it would have been neat if Lewis would have elaborated on what her nightmare had been specifically. :-\

:music: risk it all cuz I'll catch you if you fall... if my heart was a house you'd be home :music:
Pepper Darcy
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby hogglestock » Oct 08, 2010 10:12 pm

I guess familiar things/people turning into monsters is common among nightmares. I never thought of its being any specific nightmares about Caspian or Edmund...

In Eustace's defense, he does say it's a noise like scissors, not that it's scissors themselves. :)

I did always think it was a little odd that one of the sailors talks about about "the gongs beginning."
~Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen.~
hogglestock
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Pepper Darcy wrote:hmm, what if her worst nightmare had been Aslan's death? I mean, that would really haunt me if I saw *that*

Ugh, can you imagine if the filmmakers used that as her nightmare coming true on Dark Island? It's like, "So that's why the fate of Narnia depends on the Pevensies instead of Aslan! Because the filmmakers killed Aslan using a Dark island nightmare!"

Wow, that would be bad. I almost expect something like that to happen, considering some of the other stuff we've heard about the movie...

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Next