This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Funny Moments in Narnia

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Funny Moments in Narnia

Postby Tarkheena » Aug 16, 2010 7:24 am

I didn't look through all the topics, so if there's another topic like this ... sorry and could someone let me know?

However, if there isn't, well then ... :ymsmug:

Basically, if you think of a moment in any of the Narnia books that made you laugh, quote it here! There's no limit to how many you can post, but please don't post a moment if somebody else already did. Also, for the sake of those who may not have read all the books, please use the spoiler= button if you're posting a spoiler.

Here's some of mine.

The Magician's Nephew, p. 143:

"'Smelling isn't everything,' said the Elephant.

'Why,' said the Bulldog, 'if a fellow can't trust his nose, what is he to trust?'

'Well, his brains, perhaps,' she replied mildly.

'I object to that remark very strongly,' said the Bulldog."

The Last Battle, p. 189-90

"' ... And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me Beloved, who am but as a dog - "

'Eh? What's that?' said one of the Dogs.

'Sir,' said Emeth. 'It is but a fashion of speech which we have in Calormen.'

'Well, I can't say it's one I like very much,' said the Dog.

'He doesn't mean any harm,' said an older Dog. 'After all, we call our puppies Boys when they don't behave properly.'

'So we do,' said the first Dog. 'Or girls.'

'S-s-sh!' said the Old Dog. 'That's not a nice word to use. Remember where you are.'"

=)) Let the funniness begin!
avvie & sig by me

Team Hoodie!!!
Hoot Owl Of NarniaWeb
Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Funny Moments in Narnia

Postby Boy Scout » Aug 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Oh man, I was just going to start a topic like this! I always found the part with Trumpink in SC very funny!
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Aug 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Boy Scout would you like to quote one or more of your favourite Trumpkin bits please? He is in quite a lot of Prince Caspian after all.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Boy Scout » Aug 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Sorry, but wait I said Silver Chair right?
Oh well....

""The boy's Eustace, my lord," hooted the Owl as loud as it could. "Useless?" said the Dwarf irritably. "I dare say he is. Is that avy reason for bringing him to court? Hey?" " =))
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby GlimGlum » Aug 22, 2010 1:54 pm

One of my favorite funny moments is when Lasaraleen "warns" her servants about Aravis in HHB.

From chapter 7 (Aravis in Tashbaan) of the The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis:
Larsaraleen Tarkheena wrote: Here. All of you. And you, doorkeeper. No one is to be let out of the house today. And anyone I catch talking about this young lady will be first beaten to death and then burned alive and after that be kept on bread and water for six weeks. There.

:-o 8-| ;)

If they ever make the movie version, this needs to be word for word from the book. :|
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Tarkheena » Aug 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Boy Scout wrote:Sorry, but wait I said Silver Chair right?
Oh well....

""The boy's Eustace, my lord," hooted the Owl as loud as it could. "Useless?" said the Dwarf irritably. "I dare say he is. Is that avy reason for bringing him to court? Hey?" " =))

I've been reading that book to my 11 year-old sister, and when I got to that part she cracked up. Gotta love that cranky, half-deaf DLF. :D

And GlimGlum, I totally agree with you about Las. =)) Her whole character is just too funny, but that line is one of her best. ;) That and the part when \she first sees Aravis ...

The Horse and His Boy, p. 96-97

" 'I musn't be seen,' she said. 'My father doesn't know I'm here. I'm running away.'

'My dear, how perfectly thrilling,' said Lasaraleen. 'I'm dying to hear all about it. Darling, you're sitting on my dress. Do you mind? That's better. It is a new one. Do you like it? I got it at --' "

Oh, yes, Lasaraleen is obviously "dying to hear all about it." 8-| =))
avvie & sig by me

Team Hoodie!!!
Hoot Owl Of NarniaWeb
Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnian_at_heart » Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm

I can't quote it exactly,

but there's a spot in LWW right after Aslan has breathed on all the statues in the witches house and revives them

and a lion is bouncing around saying "Did you hear that? He said, 'US LIONS,'. US LIONS, that means him and me. US LIONS, we're lions." But then Aslan loaded him up with three hedgehogs and a squirrel and that steadied him a bit.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » Aug 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Oh, man, I don't know where to start!

This is one of my favorites, though, from The Silver Chair.

"We've got to start by finding the ruined city of giants," said Jill. "Aslan said so."
"Got to start by finding it, have we?" said Puddleglum. "Not allowed to start by looking for it, I suppose?" =)) =)) =))
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Alyosha » Aug 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Don't worry about spoilers--it's pretty much assumed that if you're posting in this section, you've read the books ;)

My favourite humorous parts can be summed up as follows: anything Lasaraleen, anything Puddleglum, anything Uncle Andrew. :P

Also the ending of SC:

For, with the strength of Aslan in them, Jill plied her crop on the girls and Caspian and Eustace plied the flats of their swords on the boys so well that in two minutes all the bullies were running like mad, crying out, "Murder! Fascists! Lions! It isn't fair."
...When the police arrived and found no lion, no broken wall, and no convicts, and the Head behaving like a lunatic, there was an inquiry into the whole thing. And in the inquiry all sorts of things about Experiment House came out, and about ten people got expelled. After that, the Head's friends saw that the Head was no use as a Head, so they got her made an Inspector to interfere with other Heads. And when they found she wasn't much good even at that, they got her into Parliament where she lived happily ever after.
signature by Starsy
Alyosha
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Princess Anna » Aug 24, 2010 8:17 am

I agree with all of the above funny quotes! And there are a million funny little bits, so I don't know if I can think of them all at a moment's notice. But here is the first that came to my head:

PC, Ch. 10 "The Lion Roars" wrote: "Oh, come on," growled Edmund. "We've got to go. There'll be no peace till we do." He fully intended to back Lucy up, but he was annoyed at losing his night's sleep and was making up for it by doing everything as sulkily as possible.

I don't know why I find that part so funny, but every time I read it I just have to laugh. ;))

I'll try and come back later, if I can think of any more...
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby Aslans Country » Aug 28, 2010 12:43 am

There are so many funny parts, but I forget them all when I'm not reading the books. :ymblushing: I remember this one though, because I was listening to the VDT audio drama today:

Caspian: "There are things no man can face"
Reepicheep: "It is then, my good fortune not to be a man"

I can't remember it exactly, but Reepicheep is so funny in this scene, despite the fact that it's the scariest part of the book. :p

And later on:

Reepicheep: "Your Majesty promised to be good lord to the Talking Beasts of Narnia."
Caspian: "Talking beasts, yes, I said nothing about beasts that never stop talking."

;)) I'll come back with more later. Puddleglum has too many hilarious parts in SC, I know that for a fact.
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby -centaur- » Sep 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Elaborating on AslansCountry's post, I think the funniest part in the books is Puddleglum's speech when he meets Eustace and Jill.

"I'm trying to catch a few eels to make an eel stew for our dinner," said Puddleglum, "though I shouldn't wonder if I didn't get any and you won't like them much if I do." "Why not?" said Scrubb. "Why, it's not in reason that you should like our sort of victuals, though I've no doubt you'll put a bold face on it. All the same, while I am a catching of them, you to could try to light a fire--no harm trying--! The wood's behind the wigwam. It may be wet. You could light it inside the wigwam and we'd all get smoke in our eyes; or you could light it outside and the rain would come and put it out. Her's my tinder-box. You won't now how to use it, I expect."

And then, to quote SC "The wood...was perfectly dry...Eustace and Jill managed to light a fire with rather less than the usual difficulty...Puddleglum caught many eels...Eustace and Jill had two large helpings each."

Fan-tastic!
-centaur-
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shastafan » Sep 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Those are all so funny! :D

Here's one from VDT, Chapter Six:

"With your Majesty's leave-" began Reepicheep. "No, Reepicheep," said the king very firmly, " you are not to attempt a single combat with it. And unless you promise to obey me in this matter I'll have you tied up." :) =))
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fireheart209 » Sep 17, 2010 1:41 am

From LWW:
"This is bad grammer but that is just how beavers talk when they are excited (I mean in Narnia--in our world they usually don't talk at all)."

I also love the part about "us lions" that was quoted above.

The part in PC about the Bulgy Bear sucking his paws has always made me laugh.

From VDT:

"You mean you come from a round world and you never told me? Have you ever been to the part where people walk around upside down?"

Just about anything the dufflepuds say.

Anything in SC that ends with the phrase "I shouldn't wonder"

The "respectobiggle"

Deaf Trumpkin is awesome.

Two lines from Edmund in PC:

"It's a bit uncomfortable to know we can just be whistled for like that."

"Little coming from you is a bit much."

I also like the part where Lucy almost attacks Trumpkin. Its so subtle you almost miss it. The thought of this sweet little girl getting mad enough to attack someone is hilarious. And says alot about Lucy and what she must have been like as a queen.

That's all I can think of right now.
fireheart209
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ChristProclamer » Sep 21, 2010 3:50 am

There are two parts that never fail to crack me up.

First, the scene in HHB between the Tisroc, Ahoshta, and Rabadash. Some have claimed that this scene was supposed to be serious and express malice, but I always laugh at the ongoing comedy of Rabadash's plight, Ahoshta with his face in the carpet and his behind getting kicked, and all the poetry getting thrown around. "Call back the pardon for the second cook. I feel within me the manifest prognostics of indigestion."

And also in VoDT, when Caspian says to RD (indirect quote):

"...There is a story where a prince could not break the enchantment until he had kissed the princess."

I love that line, and RD's response. You almost expect Caspian to add, 'hint, hint'. It's like the Narnian equivalent of a pickup line. =))
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 01, 2010 6:16 am

I really like all of Puddlglum's dialogue. I hope they don't change him in the movie
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next