This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Acting and Live Theatre.

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Acting and Live Theatre.

Postby nip050 » Sep 29, 2009 7:09 am

What kinds of things are all of you Narnia Fans (who LOVE acting and are following their dreams) doing involving acting, and theatre, like classes, different plays, skits, short films, maybe even movies..?, Do you want to maybe do acting as a full time career? Do you think it is your calling? :)
nip050
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Acting and Live Theatre.

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 30, 2009 9:41 am

Well, I'm not taking acting classes, but I've been in a lot of plays and student directed one. So far I've only done plays at a Christian theatre, but I want to go further then that now. I'm going to be in a play this Christmas that a couple of my younger friends are putting on. We're doing A Christmas Carol. I'm hoping that this one will bring in enough money that we can start doing a lot of plays a year, and have just close friends in them. We don't audition, the director just knows what he wants and, fortunately, a lot of his friends are so talented so he can just cast them in the part he sees fit! So far I've been in these plays:

Songs in the Night - A Fanny Crosby documentary, basically. I played a blind child in the boarding school.

The Villian Wore A Dirty Shirt - A comedy about a villian who comes into town with his saloon girl and mommy. It really is a funny play! My homeschool teen group put it on. I was casted as a young waif who the villian had taken in.

In Search of a King - A locally written play for kids. Actually, if he doesn't mind me mentioning it, suchwascharn was also in this play with me! That was years ago, though. :p I played Starry Knight, a singing warrior who got on everyone's nerves :ymblushing:

The Family Nobody Wanted - About a pastor and his wife who wasn't able to have children, so they adopted all of the 'unwanteds'. Biracial children, in the '50s. It's definately the best play I was in. I love the story line! The role I played was one of the children, Laura, who was the most dramatic of the bunch. Probably my favorite part to play!

Charlotte's Web - I think everyone knows that story. :D I played Mrs. Arable. Enough said :p

Papa Was A Preacher - Similair to the Family Nobody Wanted, it was based on a pastor and his wife who had 5 children, and well, things obviously are going to go awry when you have 5 kids! :p I played a bride who sent a bad check to the pastor who married me and my husband, and cop who arrested someone

The Family Nobody Wanted - I was in this one again, but I played Diane, Laura's older sister. Diane was a more quiet kid, being the second oldest.

Charlotte's Web - I student directed...Best experience of my life!

A Christmas Carol - This one is still in 'pre production' :p I'm playing The Ghost of Christmas Present
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Oct 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Theater is my major in college. My youth group has done a couple skits, but never a full-blown play. I'm auditioning for A Christmas Carol this weekend at the community theater.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby nip050 » Oct 01, 2009 7:22 pm

What college do you go to? I want to do acting in college, but I don't want to major in it, but I will have to or I can't do acting at all.

I am going to audition for Antigone in January.
nip050
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby daughter of the King » Oct 02, 2009 12:02 pm

Midland College. They have a good program, and the community theater is one of the best in the country, but you do not want to come here. Midland is literally in the middle of nowhere.
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Dekkie » Oct 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Three cheers for theater! Sadly, I've not been able take any acting classes (I tried to do a youth drama camp, but it turn out to be a lot of stuff I already knew - stage right, stage left, upstage, downstage, etc...) but I am involved in some of our community theaters, and I'm going to minor in theater in college next year! Following will be a "brief" (yeah, that's so a lie) history of my drama experiences... WARNING extensive rambling to follow :) .

So, in my elementary/middle school years I was heavily involved in our church dramas. Big church = big dramas! That was definitely where I got bitten by the acting bug.

Then I went from a big church with lots of drama opportunities to the bush of Africa... with surprisingly MORE drama opportunities! We got to write/direct/perform Bible skits for the kids there. Also, nearly every other Sunday we did "home church" and us kids would get to pick and perform a Bible story for our parents for "Sunday School." Oh the things we'd come up with... several times we'd have to prove to our parents that yes, that really was in the Bible! :) I also adapted a version of A Christmas Carol to perform for our family and friends. Now that was fun!

Then, finally, when we moved back to the states, about two and a half years ago, I was introduced to community theater! Ashamedly I must admit that I've only been involved in three :(( ...

Papa's Angels: The story of a family's struggles when their mother dies and their father gets consumed with his grief. I played the oldest child, Becca, who was mute. By far my favorite roll ever!

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe: Um... I should hope we all know this story! ;) What was a bit unusual about it was the fact that I played "Mrs. Christmas." Yes, they changed Father Christmas to a woman. :-o I can only guess this was because they had a shortage of males? I also got to play one of the White Witch's ghouls, which was my favorite of the two parts by far! I love being evil! :ymdevil:

Dracula in Dixie: The production I'm currently involved in. It's a horror spoof comedy thing. Super different from plays I'm used to being in! Not sure how it'll turn out, but at least it's been a lot of fun to work on! I'm playing a southern belle, Lucy, who becomes one of Dracula's victims.

Can't wait to hear some of the shows you guys are/have been involved in!
"Oh telescope, keep an eye on my only hope,
Lest I blink and be swept off the narrow road.
Hercules, you've got nothing to say to me,
'Cause you're not the blinding light that I need.
For He is the saving grace of the Galaxies."
Dekkie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Danger_O'Riley » Oct 02, 2009 10:18 pm

I've never done any acting classes, sadly. I might try out for a Shakespeare play this summer, but I'm still thinking about it...

Mostly I'm interested in musical theatre. Right now my sisters and I are in a musical called Li'l Abner. Auditions are over, and the cast list comes out on Tuesday. I'm a little nervous, but even if I don't get a lead role, the ensemble is so much fun! We all get to be Hillbillies! :p

This is only my second play. The last play I was in (same group as current play) was The Music Man. I was one of the pick-a-little ladies. It was great!
Sam in the NW Hobbit Clan!

NW sibs=Juliana, AWH, Shur'tugal, Unicorn, hungarianarnia, Todd

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - HBP
Danger_O'Riley
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Dekkie » Oct 03, 2009 11:23 am

Question for you guys:

Is there any particular role you have dreamed of playing?

I've always thought it'd be such fun to play one of the March sisters in an adaptation of Little Women. I'd also love to be able to play a character who is blind. I think that would be such a fun challenge!
"Oh telescope, keep an eye on my only hope,
Lest I blink and be swept off the narrow road.
Hercules, you've got nothing to say to me,
'Cause you're not the blinding light that I need.
For He is the saving grace of the Galaxies."
Dekkie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby daughter of the King » Oct 04, 2009 2:30 pm

I always wanted to be Lucy when I was little. Now I would like to be Liesl from Sound of Music, Christmas Past in Christmas Carol, Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady, Beth in Little Women, and the list goes on and on and on.........oh, Eponine in Les Miz, I better stop typing. :)
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby aslansothername » Oct 04, 2009 4:46 pm

There was a lady at my church who was a professional actress on stage, and she taught me and some other people from my church stage acting. So the only acting I have done is in church, but I have been able to write a play, and hopefully get to direct it this Christmas. Lord willing. I would like to do some drama when i get to collage, but it wont be my main focus, just a hobby.
Want to become an informed American teen?
http://www.t4at.webs.com/
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby nip050 » Oct 05, 2009 7:29 am

My dream role to play would be Mary in The Secret Garden, and Jill Pole in The Silver Chair.

daughter of the King: well, for my first couple of yaers in college, I am going to Cleveland State, then I am hopefully going to Lee University for 2 of 4 more years, But Lee is so expensive. Keep going for those roles you like, have you suggested the plays to any theatre, they might consider them , and depending on what state you live in is if they are open or closed auditions. The role of Eliza would be really hard and fun to be, really any of those roles would be fun!

aslansothername : directing sounds like fun, I hope you do well, what is your play about, if you don't want to say, that is fine, I bet it is a great play, anyhow.I don't want my main focus to be Acting, but If I don't major in It, I can't do acting at all.

Dekkie: yeah, I guess no one would get anything out of a class they already know everything in. So, you are taking drama in college next year, sounds exciting, I hope you do wonderfully! Wow, you have done lots of plays, some interesting ones, too. The March Sisters, that would be a great role to be one of them, I think I would want to be in a Little Women play, when I am older.

Danger_O'Riley: Musicals, I have never considered them before, I bet you are great in them! What is Lil' Abner about? I hope you get lead! What is so bad about Shakespeare?, well I guess it has weird words, but I can't think about anything else, and I think that you should do whatever role you can get because it will help you in the future.
nip050
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 05, 2009 1:51 pm

I've been in just a few play...

One about Joseph: I played 2-3 of his (Joseph's) brothers. /:) There were only 4-5 people, and... yeah. Not a whole lot of boys. :p That was a pretty dumb skit. Sorry. ;))

One about Lady Jane Grey: I was one of Lady Jane's maids. I just stood there.

An Esther play: I was an interviewer. I asked everyone questions. So I had kind of a major role...

And I think that's about it. At least, it's all I can think of...
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby nip050 » Dec 13, 2009 4:51 pm

I wish that guys would do more plays, at our church, one of the youth directors talked a boy in my chirch to do our play called " A child shall Lead Them".
nip050
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 16, 2010 2:18 am

Now here is my favorite topic in Spare Oom!!

Acting, wow. Where do I begin.
I've always had great love and passion for it since birth.

When I was three I started off in a commercial.
I took professional acting classes for four summers at a Visual Arts school when I was about 7-10 years of age.
And some more classes elsewhere from 2001-2005
I've done a few school stuff but I've mostly done community theatre and one professional theatre credit.
I've got more then 10 theatre credits and
I've been in four movies but only three film credits 08-09.
One is for the syfy channel
one is straight to film festival and dvd
One is a student film
and the other is student film also but it was really good it's competing in a film festival in California, and I'm the lead in it.

That's pretty much it. Everyone on here who are inspired by the great acting world Break a Leg!!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby nip050 » Jan 20, 2010 9:39 am

Wow, DamselJillPole, that is grat all of the things that you have done!
You sound like a great great actress, Have you sent in a rsume for any Big Films? I think you should if you haven't. Community Theatre is a good thing to get involved with, my town doesn't have one, I have to travel an hour to get to do Community Theatre somewhere, What plays have you done? I have been in Our Town, and that is it, kinda sad I guess, but I have been shy fr a while, and I am breaking from those chains that bind me.
nip050
NarniaWeb Regular

HSM Stage Play

Postby georgiehenley14 » Jan 24, 2010 3:03 pm

My school just recently had auditions for High School Musical Junior. I got the part of Sharpay. So we're just talking about the play version in general. How it went, what part you got, if it was fun, etc. :)
I wanna be Jill Pole!
georgiehenley14
NarniaWeb Regular

Next