This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Featured Roleplays: Crisis in the Snow and TWBTS

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Featured Roleplays: Crisis in the Snow and TWBTS

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Jul 25, 2010 9:19 am

G-9 hesitated, but then stared at Neihudir resolutely. "No. There is no other way. Rest assured, those of my people who oppose the Vortex would prefer this to destroying your people."

Charis remembered that she was in the same ice cave with the insect-thing and looked over at it casually. "Supposing we somehow got rid of the Vortex?" She suggested.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Bookwyrm » Jul 25, 2010 9:30 pm

"Could we? Please? I'm definitely in the mood to "get rid" of something," Cassandra spoke up.

-----

Jâkín finished searching the packs with no success.

"Great. They must have it in one of their pockets or something," Jâkín mused as he carefully replaced everything in the packs.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Neíhudir nodded.

"There must be another way," he said resolutely. "There must."

The elf slowly looked at each member of this impromptu council, his eyes challenging them to offer another solution. A thought was hiding in the depths of his mind, and, when time passed and no others spoke, he offered it.

"There is...the magnecrystal," he said, turning back to G-9. "Though I do not know what advantage it would give in your case, we do know that is power is greater than ever before imagined...or ever before used."

~~

Träm frowned at Nena's outburst, then smiled at Rylin and Nena.

"I mean no harm to you, little lady," Träm said to Nena. "I merely wish to confirm what you came for. If you were not who I thought you were, than we would have some, ah, problems.

"The elves are in a precarious position. Their numbers are small, and they are too hardheaded to call for help from their allies. Recent attacks have only decreased their numbers. For quite some time, we had heard of a shadow from the north coming down, and recent reports from my men have shown that there is a powerful dark lord who has tightened his grip over these lands. I am afraid that I must confirm those reports--I have seen his camps myself. He and his allies are ready to crush the elves and their allies.

"We don't know when it will strike," Träm stood, and turned his back on them, staring into the fire. "We are waiting. This is the calm before the last, I believe. Even the dragonriders will be destroyed, and the dragons laid in the dust. And then, who knows how far this evil will stretch?"

Träm continued to stare into the fire, completely silent. If ever a silence was deafening, this one was. Finally, Träm turned his head back to the two.

"You will rest tonight, and then I will give you animals that will give you speed over the mountains. You must return and warn all the peoples over there. They must prepare to flee, or submit," he said, the last sentence short and exact. He knew what he meant. Kicking a log into the fire, he watched the sparks flare up, then returned to his silence. After a few more moments, he turned back and sat down with the girls. "I doubt that the evil will return to the far side of the mountains, which is where it began, but if it does...then that leaves few options. Fighting will do no good, but I leave to you and the various rulers there to decide what to do if they return. Eat, and try to forget the current troubles. When you are finished, I will show you to your tent, and you can rest. When you rise, we will send you off."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » Aug 05, 2010 5:57 pm

This speech left the girls horror struck, to say the least. Evil everywhere, and no help to be found!? Is that what he is saying? thought Rylin.
The end of the world? thought Nena, can it really be true? Or is he merely making it blacker then it really is? She eyed him suspiciously and let his words run through her mind again and again. Eat? How could they? With the survival of their people so jeopardized?
Youth has nearly endless hope. It is next to impossible to imagine a world filled with evil for the young. There is no way to visualize it. It was to be tossed into a black hole of despair with nothing to see to even try.
For a long moment, the girls were frozen, not moving a muscle, trying to understand what that would be like. But one thing was clear; there was nothing left to be done. Or was there?
As soon as Nena considered the possibility her youthful disposition fought the idea and told her "no! There must be something to stop it!" But this man didn't seem to think so. She eyed him again.
Rylin underwent a similar struggle. But, but surely this isn't the end! How can it be? But, why would he lie? A tear slid down her cheek as the weight of the news continued to settle on her soul. What could be done? What could be done? Oh, what could be done? Her small frame trembled with fear. Could they even survive? But as quickly as the crippling fear came, it was battered down with a sudden surge of courage. She straightened, and her dark eyes glittered like polished jet. No matter what came, it came. All they could do was weather it. And they would, she was sure. They would.
"We will do what we must," she said aloud.
Nena cast a glance at her. She felt certain there was more that could be done/told/heard- something. But she said nothing at present.
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Träm sighed.

"I am afraid that is what we all must do. Eat, you will need your strength. You must keep that. All other strengths are failing. Tomorrow morning, before first light, you must return over the mountains. I will give you a mount--two cannot be spared. Go back to your people, warn them, and have them prepare for the worst. They cannot fight--if they do, they will all die. They must submit, or find a place to flee to. You understand?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » Aug 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Rylin felt that twinge of danger touch her heart again, but she attributed it to the danger that her people were in.
"Yes, sir," she began, "We under-"
"No!" cried Nena, startling Rylin into a shocked, open mouthed silence. Nena had leaped to her feet, and her cheeks blazed with angry color. "I appreciate your concern for our people," she said those words with a voice that dripped with sarcasm, "and the expression of your opinions will be related to our Elders!" Her eyes were snapping with an energy and vehemence that surprised Rylin greatly, and stirred alarm within her breast once again.
"But it is not for us to decide what our people must do! Before we leave, I would much prefer to speak with the elves myself and see what their opinion is." Her glance towards Träm was shrewd, "It's not so much that I distrust yours, but many opinions put together may perhaps give our Elders a more universal view."
Rylin continued to gape in astonishment. Why this sudden outburst?
Nena continued, "I thank you for the offer of mounts, but if they are so very scarce, then all I ask is you point us in the right direction to the Elves. I also thank you for your hospitality. I do believe we may owe you our lives, and I thank you.
But asking us to give up our homeland without a fight is asking too much. We have toiled to make our homes there; our ancestors have toiled for it; and I believe that our Elders will choose to fight for it if we must to keep it ours. But perhaps not. We will leave that up to them.
Thank you for your warning. But that is not our decision, and we would be poor messengers if we came for facts and went back with opinions."

Rylin finally shut her mouth. Nena was, she realized, correct after all. She eyed Nena's back as she continued to stand, and felt something of a new respect for her. At any rate, her loyalty to the mission was no longer questionable, though Rylin didn't realize she ever had questioned it until now.
She turned her eyes to Träm, and the danger feeling pricked her heart again. Holding her breath, she waited for his reaction.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Träm shook his head.

"Do as you wish," he said, "but for your safety, I must insist that you do not leave until light. If you are finished with your food, I will show you to your tent for the night. I will come and get you in the morning with your mount."

With that, he stood, and began walking.

"This way," he said.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Rylin shot Nena a questioning glance, and Nena raised an eyebrow and shrugged.
Rising to her feet, Rylin whispered quickly to her companion, "We do need our rest, at the very least."
Nena shrugged again, and they began to follow Träm, walking side by side.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Arwen » Sep 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Träm led the girls to a tent, where their bags had already be placed. Jâkín was nowhere in sight, which was just as well. After bidding the girls goodnight and promising to meet them outside their tent at first light, Träm left, and hurried to find Jâkín. He did so, shortly.

"Well?" Träm demanded. "What did you find? Were the papers there?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Sep 04, 2010 7:50 pm

G-9 lifted his head and stared at Neihudir as if he had seen a ghost. "Why, yes....it would..." Then he stopped and shook his head. "The temptation. It would be too great. You see,"

G-9 swiveled his head to look at each person in turn. "Legend says that the magnecrystal was once the very first Vortex. He was a freak-- an accident of nature and obscure DNA mutation. He lived alone all of his life, and when the time came for him to die, his wish was that no other creature like him would have to live alone."

He gave a few unintelligible clicks that seemed to be swallows or something similar. "As he died, parts of the Vortex broke off into bits. They slowly grew over time and became the entire species of vortex. The brain of the Vortex became the second Vortex. And the heart," The strange bug-thing paused, "The heart became the magnecrystal. So goes the legend. And it has long been told that any vortex creature which holds the crystal will possess nearly uncontrollable and indescribable power."

Conflicted, G-9 looked down at the floor in a position that would be uncomfortable for humans or elves. "I could do it. But the temptation would be great. I could destroy everyone." He made a sound like rattling icicles, which could have been interpreted as a sigh. "Humans and elves can use the power as well, or so I'm told. I just do not know how. The best way is to just destroy us. It is the only certain way."

Charis looked at the alien. Something in her usually indifferent heart melted. Imagine, melting for someone made of ice. It did, though-- this was a cause worthy to help. She began to consider possibilities. "Suppose that the power could be channeled to destroy the power that the Vortex has over the rest of the species? To make you all free?" Charis asked. "What then?"
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Jâkín shook his head," No, there was nothing in their packs. No papers at all. They must have the papers on them or they hid them before we caught them."
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » Sep 16, 2010 2:12 pm

"Pah," Träm spit in frustration. "Well, no matter. They may think they hid their plans, but it is apparent enough. They mean to recruit the elves to help them. No matter--the elves will be crushed shortly. But the girls must not escape." Träm turned abruptly and walked away.

~~~

"Sss, sleepers must wake up, wake up QUIETLY," Rohindron's soft voice said. The little dragon was again standing between Nena and Rylin, glancing nervously around. "Wake up, wake up!" he hissed. "Your hands are tricked, you were tied in a caught!"

"Tied, caught in a trick," Mahindren corrected, glancing nervously out the tentflap.

"Whatever. Just wake up, please."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » Oct 01, 2010 9:22 am

((OOC: I'm so sorry for my utter absence y'all! I haven't been ignoring you! I've just literally been unable to reply. :( ))

Nena awoke rather slowly (hardly unusual for her), and when the odd little face came into focus, she bit back another shriek. But the word "quiet" had been hammered into her head by her mother since she was only a wee thing. The action required when that word was used went into effect even when she was three-quarters asleep. However, next second she recognized Rohindron and her panic melted. For another second. Then his next comment registered.
"What!?" she squeaked in a hissing, strangled sort of way, but still very quiet, bolting upright in the same moment.
Rylin lifted her head sleepily, yawned and blinked. "Tricked?" Then she started, "Tricked!" she exclaimed in a hoarse, shocked whisper, and struggled to rise the rest of the way to her feet. Her balance, however, was thrown off by her tied hands.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 03, 2010 4:49 pm

((That's fine, Lady C. Figured something came up. :) ))

"Come, come quickly, maybe humans can work together to use knives to cut rope. If not..." Rohindron paused. "If not, we will find something else."

Mahindren had been walking up from the tent flap, and stopped between the two girls. She dropped a small knife from her mouth, and nudged it toward Nena with her nose.

"See if you can use it. But hurry! Everyone will be about soon."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » Oct 03, 2010 8:32 pm

((OOC: :ymhug: I knew you'd give me the benefit of the doubt! :D Your PM is next on my to-do list, but I may not be able to use the computer again until next Sunday. :( ))

Nena stared at the knife, though not out of a lack of understanding. After a quick moment of thought, she wriggled her feet from under her blanket, sat upright on the cot swinging her socked feet over the side and with her toes clutched the knife and lifted it from the ground.
"Get on the floor," she hissed to Rylin, who had been watching her intently. Rylin slipped to the ground and turned her back to Nena, shifting her bound wrists towards Nena's feet. Nena tightened her unconventional grip on the knife and maneuvered it to a spot just above the ropes on Rylin's wrists.
"Move your hands back and forth," Nena ordered. She didn't trust her toes to keep a hold on the knife if she were to move it herself.
Rylin obeyed, and slid the rope up and down on the blade of the knife. Nena's hold on the knife was a very odd angle for Rylin to use, being pointed in the same direction of the ropes, and not parallel. Rylin was forced to strain her arms to the side to get the knife to run across the ropes at all. This combined with the desperate speed at which Rylin sawed and the suddenly slipping of the knife in Nena's toes at Rylin's pressure caused a deep gash to be made in Rylin's wrist when the knife finally cut through. She gave a stifled yelp of pain and bit her lip as the tears sprang to her eyes.
Nena winced as the blood began to pulse down Rylin's wrist in a thin trickle, but Rylin shoved the ropes off and twisted around, holding out her hand for the knife. Nena lifted her foot over Rylin's hand and gingerly uncurled her toes, dropping the knife into the extended palm.
A few seconds later they were both bundled back up and grabbing their packs.
"What's going on?" demanded Nena in a harsh whisper.
As she massaged her wrist, Rylin cringed at Nena's tone, and hoped the little creatures knew she was not angry at them, but at being betrayed.
"And thank you for helping us," she added quickly, hoping to draw Nena's attention to the tone she had just used.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 04, 2010 5:19 pm

"No time for thanks or explaining now," Rohindron said, darting outside. Mahindren moved so she could see him through the tentflap. After a few moments, she turned to the girls.

"Wait a moment," Mahindren said softly, and wiggled half out of the tent. After a few moments of conversing with Rohindron, she slipped back in.

"Leave your packs, they will only slow you. We must move fast, as fast as the wind. Packs will only burden you. We are less than a days journey from where you will be truly safe. Follow me!" Mahindren turned tail and darted outside as the girls determined what to do. Rohindren was already several paces ahead of her, looking around the tents.

~~

"Charis is right," Arin said firmly. "No way is certain. We are not concerned with what is certain, but what is best. The destruction of a race is never what is best. If it was, I do not think any people group would still exist. We have all fallen."

"And beside, if lesser methods will prevail, they are always to be used before greater methods, not after," Kel added.

Neíhudir stood, and paced for a few moments.

"Since the Crystal was part of the creation of the problem, perhaps it may also be our key."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

PreviousNext