This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Underwater Battle?

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Underwater Battle?

Postby starkat » Sep 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Thought I would resurrect this thread:

Narnia_Fan12 wrote:
As some of you may have seen, some youtube videos have included in the description that
"there will be an underwater battle" in Dawn Treader.

i wonder how they could even do this???

Some various quotes from recent news stories:

On this bewitching voyage that will test their hearts and spirits, the trio will face magical Dufflepuds, sinister slave traders, roaring dragons and enchanted merfolk

There are some big pitched battles in this one, swords and action.

So what do you guys think?
starkat

Re: Underwater Battle?

Postby ericnovak » Sep 05, 2009 8:46 am

A basic synopsis of the underwater fight is as follows:

The ship sets sail toward the east and an apparently larger sun shines before them. While looking overboard at a perfectly calm, clear sea, Lucy notices that there are shapes that look rather like a road and forest under the water. It is not long before she sees a large, underwater castle and sea people. The sea people, who are on a hunting expedition, spot the Dawn Treader and move closer to investigate. One of the sea people, who looks like a king, shakes his spear at Lucy in a menacing way. Just then, Edmund and Drinian come up behind her. She shows them the sea people. Drinian instructs them to turn around and not to look. It wouldn't do to have one of the crew fall in love with a sea person or underwater world. As he tells them this, a man overboard is sounded. The "man" is Reepicheep who was provoked to fight the sea-king. When Drinian pulled Reepicheep on board, he insisted that he stay quiet about what he had seen. However, Reepicheep was excited about something else entirely. The water was fresh. Reepicheep repeats an old rhyme he heard while in his cradle about the waves growing sweet at the utter east. All members of the ships company drink the water, which gives them more tolerance for the increasing intensity of the sunlight. It also makes them less desiring of food or sleep.

Now the question is, will the scene be played out. Obviously to some extent - but one would hope that we don't have to see a huge fight in the water with mermen and maids...

I'm a purist. What can I say? :p
ericnovak
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian1 » Sep 05, 2009 6:38 pm

I definitely do not want to see an underwater battle with these merpeople, it's not meant to happen and I don't want it. The merpoeple did seem hostile, but for us, overland, it's supposed to be an awing experience to marvel at the fact that there *is* a city underwater. A battle would really ruin this moment I think. Personally I don't think there should be any battles in the movie, not just underwater.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby digory83 » Sep 05, 2009 7:46 pm

i agree a 110% I hope that they are just hyping up what they see in the book, and that they have no basis for it in the actual Movie.
You shall meet me, dear one, but there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there. VotDT Ch. 16
digory83
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 06, 2009 6:16 am

I love the idea of an underwater battle but I wouldn't want it in a Narnia movie.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 06, 2009 6:18 am

I don't think they should have any big battles in VDt maybe a one on one sword fight but that's about it.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kelila » Sep 07, 2009 7:08 am

ericnovak, the scene you quoted sounds just like the book, so I don't have a problem with it.

I /do/ have a problem if they actually meet the sea people. I'd hate to see more battles in this film, since the whole plot is just about perseverance and discovery.
Everything's funny at one o'clock in the morning!
Kelila
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Yeah what made it interesting was that they never actually talked to the sea people, it was like a different world down there. I would say I don't want them to make a battle.... but I cant say that with conviction, an underwater battle sounds pretty awesome after all
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby checkers » Sep 09, 2009 1:17 pm

It sounds interesting...just not for VDT. I agree with Kelila (don't believe we've met, by the way. *extends hand*). The movie is about a discovery, not a war. And I would hate for them to meet the sea people. That would be just weird. :-s
Co-president of the BGMCA club. <--- don't remember what that was but I left it for the nostalgia
Buds: 5, Twin Blank! <--- also don't remember who Twin Blank was. Find me if you're out there, lost one.
checkers
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnianjedi » Sep 17, 2009 12:58 pm

That would be really interesting. Would it be underwater completely??? I would have to see it first before I made an opinion. But they definetly shouldn't make it a very long battle, like the ending battle in PC.
May the force be with you!
I LOVE Pixar & Disneyland!!!!
narnianjedi
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby americangirlemmie » Sep 18, 2009 10:30 am

In the book the sea creatures want to have a battle. They don't actually have a battle though.
Co-founder - NW for HP & The Missing Club
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PeterFan » Sep 26, 2009 3:48 pm

I don't think that'll happen AT ALL!!!!!! =)) =))
PeterFan

Postby LucyTheValiant » Sep 26, 2009 5:29 pm

I agree with PeteFan. If I remember correctly, there isn't even an underwater battle in the book!
Signature & Avatar made by Princess Anna
LucyTheValiant
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Sep 27, 2009 2:08 am

I do not believe they will have an underwater battle. :|
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby LucyTheValiant » Sep 27, 2009 5:22 pm

If they do, I will be greatly disappointed!
Signature & Avatar made by Princess Anna
LucyTheValiant
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Sep 29, 2009 6:36 pm

I wouldn't 'want them to have that kind of battle. I don't even want them to meet the sea people. Maybe the audience can see them, like a quick shot that goes over the sea floor and then up to the ship where Lucy is watching, but not a whole meet and greet thing ;)
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next