This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Food of Narnia: Turkish Delight & More

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

The Food of Narnia: Turkish Delight & More

Postby ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell » Jul 09, 2010 7:46 am

Welcome to The Food of Narnia! This topic was made especially for the wonderful, and not to mention delicious recipes C.S. Lewis described and wrote about in one of our favorite stories. Here you may not only talk about the food, but I guess you may also post the links, (not to paste the recipe itself, to be on the safe side), and share your thoughts with them;so forth and so on.
So, please, have fun, prepare for kitchen nightmares, and lets get posting, cooking, and eating!

P.S. Please do take take the time to check out the "Reprinting for the Narnia Cookbook Petition" topic located at the Narnia Merchandise forum. Click on my signature in order to do so, & don't forget to sign!
-(Tom Hiddleston (2012), Kenneth Branagh (1989) & Laurence Olivier (1944) as Henry V)

sig: Narnian_Archer
avy:campgirl

King Caspian X fan and supporter of Lillian
ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: The Food of Narnia: Turkish Delight & More

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 09, 2010 4:43 pm

I have always been a fan of hot chocolate, and I even drink it during the summer. I have a recipe that I imagine to be very similar to that of the white witch:

1 & 1/2 Cup of Milk
1 Heaping Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Level Tablespoon of Dutch Cocoa
2 Tablespoons of cold water.

Makes 2 Mugs
5-7 Minutes

1. Measure out the milk, and place in a saucepan. Bring the milk to a boil, but watch it very carefully, as it tends to froth up quickly!

2. While the milk is heating, mix the sugar, cocoa and water in a bowl, stirring until it becomes a thick paste.

3. After the milk has frothed up three times (and the froth has been reduced by removing from heat) add the cocoa/sugar mixture. A little bit more water can be added to ensure a complete transfer.

4. Return the cocoa to the heat, and allow it to froth up one more time, stirring constantly. Froth indicates that the flavour of the cocoa has permeated through the milk.

5. Garnish with whipped cream, or marshmallow after pouring into cups.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Boy Scout » Jul 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Well, no one is going to want to eat this but, here is the recipe for "eel stew." Try to enjoy!
http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0o13551.html
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Morna » Jul 09, 2010 6:29 pm

Recipes themselves are considered ideas, and not "fixed works" and therefore cannot be copywrited. The exact text of the recipe, however, is a "fixed work." As long as recipes are rewritten, posting them should be Ok.
Morna
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell » Jul 10, 2010 12:40 am

I'm baaaack! :D 3 posts already,hmm. That recipe for hot chocolate looks very easy, DiGoRyKiRkE. Thanks! I will try it. I will also try the eel stew, since I always eat eel, especially how the Koreans cook it. (No, I am not Korean.) I know The Narnia Cookbook has a recipe for that, plus Pigeon Pie (They don't use pigeons, literally, just Cornish hens.), "Lucy's Roasted Apples", Buttered Eggs, Roast Pheasant, porridge, marmalade roll, cakes with sugar topping, and the more complicated recipes of the Calormens,etc. I finished making my Turkish Delight. It tastes really good, despite some cornstarch lumps. (I made a few mistakes, like I added too much cornstarch, I refrigerated the Turkish Delight when it was in the pan overnight, (Never, ever refrigerate TD as it ruins the texture! I just realized that, plus it said so in a review, which I read after I made it. X( ) and I let the cornstarch mixture thicken too long before adding the sugar mixture.) Oh, well, it is my first time making it. Candy takes lots of patience, energy, a couple of friends helping you, precision, and the right ingredients & equipment. Here is the recipe. It's the authentic one. Real TD does not have gelatin in it, & please do follow the recipe carefully! Enjoy! http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dessertssweetspastries/r/turkishdelight.htm Here's the same one, except with food coloring:http://candy.about.com/od/sugarcandy/r/turkish_delight.htm. If you cannot find rosewater, use all natural extracts, like lemon, mint, or other floral extracts. Do not use synthetic or fake ones, as your TD will taste AWFUL. Good luck! :)

Here is a Turkish Delight maker's extra tips for the best TD, and to avoid disasters: Cream of tartar will mitigate sugar crystallizing and to some extent sweating.
I have made "Turkish delight" for more than forty years, the recipe as provided will work just fine with a couple of caveats.
The mixture should be allowed to stabilize for a day or so after pouring, this equalizes moisture content throughout.
When cut into cubes and layered in the cornstarch/icing sugar it is important to use a lot of both, not a dusting but a veritable bath. I use a tray 3" deep in the dusting powder and I mix the cut up pieces into it and leave for a further two days. After this time you will be left with perfect TD, a slight crust covering a gorgeous soft interior.
As a change up, I also use real orange water and violet water. In all instances it is important not to use synthetic flavourings as they are disgusting.
Lastly do not refrigerate TD at any time as this ruins the texture; store in a cool but not cold place and pack with lots of the icing sugar corn starch mixture."

Here is someone else's review: "I made this for a cultura assignment, and it was quite an ordeal. Rose water is not a common ingredient, so i ended up having to pick and distill my own roses to get rose water. This process took about an hour, also making sure you follow the directions on the spot except for the amount of flavoring you use is quite important, because I failed to pour the right amount of water in the corn startch, and began to cook it, and it clumped together quite badly, and i was unable to seperate the lumps. Although that set back happened, it actually turned out really great! Do no refrigerate this by the way, it ends up having quite an odd texture and ruins the confection. Place tin foil or an air tight covering over it while it hardens overnight, and place it in a cabinet so that it cools faster. The seal will keep bugs out and help it hold it's flavor. Also you can play around with flavors, it is a candy, not a pastry, and you can also place more rose water than it tells you. Overall, it is a really good and interesting creation, and i enjoyed it very much."

@ Morna: Thanks for the info about pasting recipes!
-(Tom Hiddleston (2012), Kenneth Branagh (1989) & Laurence Olivier (1944) as Henry V)

NarniaWeb Nut

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 10, 2010 1:14 am

Does that mean if I have recipes from "the Narnia Cookbook", I can type them out for everyone? :-\
Not Scan the actual page, but just type out the the recipe from the book? :-\ :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell » Jul 10, 2010 9:23 pm

7chronicles wrote:Does that mean if I have recipes from "the Narnia Cookbook", I can type them out for everyone? :-\
Not Scan the actual page, but just type out the the recipe from the book? :-\ :)

You mean, you actually have the book?! Lucky! :D Anyways, to answer your question, I just did my research on recipes & copyright laws,etc. They say you are not allowed to post recipes from cookbooks, (except for ones published before 1923) without asking the author's permission. :( Here is one link I found regarding this:http://www.healthbloghelper.com/blog/posting-recipes/ Thanks!

NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 11, 2010 11:59 am

My hot chocolate recipe started out as the recipe from the Narnia Cookbook, and both use the same ingredients, but I changed the procedure just a little bit from theirs. The recipe they use doesn't give the chocolate time to permeate through the milk, so I altered it to suit my own tastes a bit.

As for Lucy's apples: I love roasted apples. Here's my recipe

1 Apple: Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, or Red Delicious are best.
1 TBSP Raisins
1 TSP Cinnamon
1 TSP Honey
1/2 TSP Brown Sugar
2 TSP Lemon Juice

These are very simple to make. Merely core the apple, and chop of the bottom and top off of the core (so that you have a lid and a bottom to the hollow apple). Add the ingredients after putting the bottom back on the apple, and once the ingredients are inside, place the top back on the apple. Cook in an oven at 400 degrees for a half hour. If still hard. . .add more time.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 11, 2010 2:31 pm

You mean, you actually have the book?! Lucky! :D Anyways, to answer your question, I just did my research on recipes & copyright laws,etc. They say you are not allowed to post recipes from cookbooks, (except for ones published before 1923) without asking the author's permission. :(

Yes, I am very blessed to have it. :)
Thanks for the link ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell! :) It's to bad I can't post it. :(

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Silver the Wanderer » Jul 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Elf Maiden, I'm glad your Turkish Delight turned out (beside from the cornstarch lumps :p ).

All this food is making me hungry! =p~ I might try DiGoRyKiRkE's hot chocolate...it sounds scrumptious!
Av and Sig by Aravis Autarkeia

Silver the Wanderer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jul 12, 2010 4:24 pm

I have actually eaten Turkish Delight and it is SO sweet! I only had one tiny piece and I didn't want any more sugar for the rest of the day.....poor Skandar: he had to eat a ton of it! :P
I almost want to make it though.....
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell » Jul 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Silver the Wanderer wrote:Elf Maiden, I'm glad your Turkish Delight turned out (beside from the cornstarch lumps :p ).

Well, it had a nice lemon flavor, but I made a mistake by refrigerating it when it was setting, and I just realized it makes it gloppy, like a cross between Turkish Delight and marmalade. I still have lots of it left though, since I have a cold and can only have very little sugar, til I get well. I doubled also, because I was going to give 1/2 of it to a class who are reading LWW, @ my church's school. My sibs aren't interested in eating it. They would if it wasn't so messed up. Sigh :| Oh, well.

Liberty Hoffman wrote:I have actually eaten Turkish Delight and it is SO sweet! I only had one tiny piece and I didn't want any more sugar for the rest of the day.....poor Skandar: he had to eat a ton of it! :P
I almost want to make it though.....

I saw the LWW easter egg video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lv7UYiy72o) That was CRAZY, on how they made him eat all that sugar just like that! I can't even get passed four of those! Lol, Liberty! I didn't want any more sugar after I had eaten 2 also! I watched a video of "Diary of a Foodie" on gourmet.com, and this foodie was visiting somewhere in the Middle-East, oh, it was Morocco, and the foodie, was showing how they made Moroccan Tea: they put a bunch of mint leaves, boiling water in a Moroccan pot, and a whole clump of white sugar the size of my fist (the person was knocking of bits into it, until it was all in there) in the tea. It is very ceremonial, and sugar is like gold to them, and use it as a symbol of honor,etc. The foodie said that the Moroccan's believe that if you use MORE sugar or the more sweeter, the better. Here's a recipe of Moroccan Tea if people are going to want one:http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/295. The Whole Foods recipe says you may use agave nectar, which is very good for diabetic people (and healthy people!) as the sugar goes into your bloodstream 10 times slower than sugar, is all natural, and is 3-4 times sweeter than sugar & honey in taste. I know this doesn't sound very Narnian, but it does sound Calormen. Hey Turkish D. isn't, it's the White Witch's food.

NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Silver the Wanderer » Jul 13, 2010 5:36 am

ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell wrote:I saw the LWW easter egg video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lv7UYiy72o) That was CRAZY, on how they made him eat all that sugar just like that! I can't even get passed four of those!

:-o Somehow I missed that video! Whoa, that is a LOT of Turkish Delight!!! Poor Skandar, he looked like he was going to be sick. :( But on the other hand, that Turkish Delight looked really good. Perfect texture, all gooey and sticky. Every time I watch that scene, I wish I could try some. :ymblushing:
Av and Sig by Aravis Autarkeia

Silver the Wanderer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell » Jul 14, 2010 8:57 am

Hi! Here are my messed up Turkish Delight photos. As you can see the texture is wrong!

NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 14, 2010 7:06 pm

;)) We learn by our mistakes, EMAoR, and besides, when it comes to cooking the taste is what matters most (Although I agree that appearance is important too).
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell » Jul 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Hello, everyone, sorry that I haven't been around long, but my house (including my whole neighborhood) got a major blackout for more than 12 hours, so there was no wi-fi. :( Anyways, thanks Aloysha for resizing my pics to thumbnails! I didn't know how to make them smaller! :)

DiGoRyKiRkE: Hi! Yes, I have learned by my mistakes, as I have made them millions of times, but I don't usually give up. So next time I will make it better. :) The problem with my Turkish Delight, was that it was hard to roll in the powdered sugar, and it stuck to the oiled knife... :( I'm usually very successful, but I guess it doesn't matter now.
P.S. I saw you're draft for the petition letter. It's really good! I'll go check out the topic...

NarniaWeb Nut