This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lady of the Green Kirtle setup in VDT

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Lady of the Green Kirtle setup in VDT

Postby Reepi » Jun 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Rumor:
The Lady of the Green Kirtle is behind the dark island.
The "menacing fog" in the plot synopsis is of course, the green fog in the trailer, which creates the nightmarish visions. It is the same substance the lady of the green kirtle uses when charming the children and puddleglum to make them believe there is no Narnia in SC.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Lady of the Green Kirtle setup in VDT

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 17, 2010 6:48 pm

where did you hear that?
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby icarus » Jun 18, 2010 9:03 am

I'm assuming its just a theory based on the trailer, rather than information from any new source. Still it's an interesting theory all the same.... The way i see things, with regard to whether or not they will set-up any plot elements for Silver Chair, is as follows:

Back before Prince Caspian even came out, and Disney thought they had a sure thing box-office franchise on their hands, their aim was to release all the films within one year of each other, and as we heard in at least one interview, that PC, VDT and SC would form an "interlocking Caspian Trilogy". What we witnessed with the leaked script i believe was their attempt to make VDT the linking film in this "Caspian Trilogy" - they added in elements such as Trumpkin and Corneilius as ship crew members to tie it back to PC, and added in elements such as LOTGK to tie it forward with SC.

So when Prince Caspian underperformed at the box-office, and the entire series was thrown into doubt, that whole plan went out the window. Walden obviously realised that if they were going to make VDT, it would have to work as a stand-alone film. So they cut out the unnecessary ties to Prince Caspian (i.e. Trumpkin and Cornelius), as there was no reason for them to want to be overly associated with a boxoffice "failure", and they also cut out most of the set-up for Silver Chair (i.e. the whole stupid LOTGK plot line) as there would be no point in them spending a whole film setting up a sequel that might never happen. As i've said before, in this regard Prince Caspian's box office disappointment was the best thing that ever happened for us Narnia fans, as it means VDT will get to be the stand-alone story it deserves to be.

So for that reason i don't think we are going to see any major plot elements being included to directly set-up Silver Chair.... however your theory is certainly an interesting one, and i don't deny that they could maybe have included a few small elements (such as Tilda Swinton's bright green eyes) which they potentially COULD pick up on when they come to do Silver Chair if they so wished. I don't see there being a big backstory for the Dark Island in VDT involving LOTGK, which would result in them being locked into a definite plan for the plot in Silver Chair, and i don't see VDT being left with hanging plot threads that make no sense should SC not get made.

But what you said could be something where the opportunity is left available to them if they then wanted do it later on in SC. In the recent interview with Perry Moore it seemed to indicate that Tilda Swinton's involvement in subsequent books such as SC was "under consideration", so yes they may leave certain things in VDT open to the possibility that they could then be retrospectively utilised should SC ever get made, but i don't think there will be a major "set up" for Silver Chair in the traditional sense.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Jun 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Reepi, did you think this idea up yourself? If not, could you please tell us where you heard/read it?

Icarus, those ideas from the draft script were NEVER going to get to film. I have read well authorised comments that indicate that such elements were unacceptable.
I don't think it's useful to think in terms of that supposed disney setup.
Perry's comments, by the way, seem to be quite off the cuff, and out of step with the actual production.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 19, 2010 4:46 am

the only reason I can see that would be any good for LOTGK to be tied into this movie is this:
every time I read SC, I always wonder why LOTGK targeted Rillian in the first place. I mean, sure he was a prince and all, but she didn't seem to have any particular reason to take him away and keep him from his father.
so if they tied it into VotDT/Caspian/Lilliandil (RD) then it would make sense for LOTGK to have something against Rillian (because of his father.....)
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Josh » Jun 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Maybe the Lady of the Green Kirtle would be like a sister of good friend of Lilliandil, who rivaled for Caspian's affections in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. When Caspian chose Lillaindil, the Lady of the Green Kirtle got angry and turned to sorcery...and eventually got revenge by killing Lilliandil.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 22, 2010 1:59 am

LOGK= Duke of Galma's daughter with the freckles who squints. lol =))

Wouldn't that be weird? Probably not possible though, but would be pretty cool.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Jun 22, 2010 3:21 am

We have been given an assurance that there will be no elements in this film that will set up for Silver Chair.

By the way Rumours are meant to be things you have actually heard or read somewhere, not a funny or weird idea you have had yourself. (this starts to become fan fiction, which doesn't belong here)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 23, 2010 12:05 am

It's still weird to give the WW green eyes when Tilda has blue eyes. Still it would be cool to see some one in the past Narnia movies become LOGK in SC, I just hope it isn't Tilda.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Rising_Star » Jun 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Just so you know, Tilda Swinton has always had green eyes.

See qwertykate88's post here: viewtopic.php?p=78568#p78568

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 23, 2010 6:45 pm

^That's really interesting Rising_Star, thankyou. I can worry less about that now.

I never noticed that.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Yeah but the thing is is that the green reveals more so then in the previous films. then again I can be completely wrong.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Josh » Jun 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Coracle, where did it say that all references to the Silver Chair have been cut?

I know they changed the script and that they are trying to make the story much closer to the book, but that doesnt mean all elements of the leaked script won't be in the movie. The director may have liked some of the ideas from the leaked script.

Now I'm sure we won't be seeing the soul sucking dragon cave of the Emerald Witch who want to use the souls of children to get herself power...but I canj see the Emerald Witch being subtly alluded to or foreshadowed or maybe even cameoed.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 24, 2010 8:51 pm

It could be a small character in the movie that we possibly wouldn't know that can be foreshadowed as LOGK before she ever went to the dark side. Like the Duke of Galma's daughter perhaps? It can be a beastly type thing of a not so attractive girl who makes herself atractive, kills Lilliandil for revenge and goes after the son. It would make a rather interesting story. huh, huh? ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 25, 2010 11:56 am

Rising_Star wrote:Just so you know, Tilda Swinton has always had green eyes.

See qwertykate88's post here: viewtopic.php?p=78568#p78568

I never noticed that! so green eyes isn't a bad thing then!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 25, 2010 12:32 pm

We don't know Liberty, because what the scene is really marketing with the coloring of the background and making Tilda's eyes more noticeably green then in the other films indicates to me and others that there is possibly some LOGK foreshadowing there. We may be completely wrong but it still is odd.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next