This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

History nerds hangout

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

History nerds hangout

Postby narnianerd » Sep 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Well hello fellow History lovers, why don't you take a seat. Can I get you something? How about some historical herd tea that was brewed during during the American revolution? Or some Celtic bread? Or even better some grapes picked form the finest <Insert that name I can't remember here> of ancient Greece! As you see there is loads of history so lets begin!
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Re: History nerds hangout

Postby Rachel111 » Sep 18, 2009 1:14 pm

Ah yes, History is one of my favorite subjects in school. I am currently reading The History of Mankind. It is a very detailed book about the history of people from the biblical ages to about the sixties. Very interesting!
Hello! My name is Rachel. But just call me Chel.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... 06x331.jpg
A picture of my favorite band, The Arcade Fire.
Rachel111
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby greenleaf23 » Sep 18, 2009 7:41 pm

Well, I love history(mostly way back history though), but even more I'm starting to get into historical languages. I'm hoping to learn Latin and Olde English in the next few years, and I'll probably learn Latin first since it's the basis for most languages.

Now back on topic ;) I really like learning about ancient Greek and Roman stuff, especially mythology.
Avi by Visionsbeyond/Awesome sig by Flambeau! NW Sis:Jay
LiveJournal (not really too terribly empty anymore :P)
Team Hoodie!!
greenleaf23
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby sillygoose » Sep 20, 2009 7:34 am

Mythology is fun to learn. That's what i'm doing in english class though.

In world studies i just finished up the chapter on the renaissance. lol and i surprised myself because i knew a lot more about the Tudors than my classmates. (this comes from reading historical fiction. Love it! :p )

Haha i tried teaching myself Elizabethan over the summer but i couldn't get into the habit and i was kinda lazy. :p

My favorite period of history is definitly the Revolutionary War. It's sooo cool with the rebellions and things.
Team Edward and Team Jacob are overrated. I'm Team Avatar!

Find me on Tumblr!
http://inside-the-mind-of-a-nerddess.tumblr.com/

Avvie by Rising_Star
sillygoose
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 21, 2009 5:10 pm

The most intruiging periods of history in my perspective:
WWII
Ancient Greece & The Trojan War
Revolutionary War
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby OurDLF » Sep 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Well, history has always been my favorite subject. My family traveled a LOT, i.e. 46 states, during my elementary/middle school years (we were homeschooled, allowing the flexibility). Most of our trips were centered around historical subjects, such as visiting Boston and surrounding Revolutionary War sites, Gettysburg and other Civil War battlefields in Virginia and Maryland, Washington D.C. (wow!), et cetera.

Suffice it to say... I'm a history nut! Oh, and as if it isn't apparent enough, the Civil War is my favorite time period.

However, that said, I've recently become fascinated with the Polish role in WWII, namely the prelude to war, the Warsaw [Jewish] Ghetto Uprising of '43, and the Warsaw Rising of '44. An excellent book on the subject is Norman Davies' Rising '44: The Battle for Warsaw, which spends about 500 of the 700 pages on the background and post-Rising periods (i.e. 1939 - July 1944, and November 1944 to present).
NWSO Principle 2nd Violin & Founder
Veteran Ditto Fountaineer & Mansionite
Humble Knight of the Order of the Spoiler Free Monasterie (Incorruptus!)
OurDLF
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 21, 2009 9:46 pm

I'm not much for the more recent history ("recent" I suppose being used loosely). Granted, I don't mind learning about the WWII era, but I much prefer the older civilazations. Mostly in feudal Japan during the Warring States period and Sengoku and Edo periods. I also enjoy the late 2nd and 3rd centuries of China during the time of the Three Kingdoms (great book too). Medieval England and Ireland are also on my top areas of historical study. I didn't really enjoy reading over and studying history when I was in school, but we never did learn any of the periods I was interested in. Now's my time to finally enjoy it, go figure :) .
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lark » Sep 22, 2009 10:18 am

Oh,man,I am SUCH a history nerd...;))

My favorite period to study is the Middle Ages. And my favorite countries to about are England,Scotland,Wales,and Ireland. This is probably the reason I like Narnia and LoTR so much.

Lion's Emblem, I don't care much for "recent" history either.I've always liked older stuff better.

greenleaf23, you're learning LATIN?! I am so jealous! I've always wanted to learn latin. And gaelic.
Lark
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 22, 2009 2:08 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Titanic

We're doing a Titanic Unit in Literature, and I'm really excited. We get our own identities. I'm a third-class servant. (And I die. *sniffle* The stories of the Titanic can be so tear-jerking!)

:D Smile, God's always watching!:D
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Silvertongue » Sep 23, 2009 9:36 am

I love reading up on WWII! I'm especially interested in the Kindertransport, French Resistance, all the espionage, and really anything about England's part in the war...RAF, radar research....one of my favorite WWII books/movies would have to be "The Man Who Never Was"...very intriguing!!
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnian at Heart » Sep 23, 2009 3:56 pm

History ranks top-favorite-subject of mine. My favorite genre of writing is Historical fiction. I devour research on the subject of nearly everything in the past. I would say that I could post here. ;)

Mm, Silvertongue, I agree wholeheartedly. WWII is the most fascinating time to study! The secret ties, the underground networks of allies and refugee-workers, the propaganda. It takes such concentration just to keep the facts straight. :) My favorite books on the subject are the "Zion Covenant Series". They give every detail that lead up to the war. I've not heard of "The Man Who Never Was", but I will look into it since you recommend it!

I love World History, but especially American history. My favorite three times to study are the Civil War, WWI, and WWII.

Has anyone heard of "Drive Thru History", hosted by Dave Stotts and Coldwater Media? It's the most wonderful history-course! There's ancient-world history, but there's also an American History set of DVDs. They're just grand!!!!!

Okay, I shall bow out of the conversation now...until I think of something else to talk about! :D
"More than words is all you have to do to make it real. Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me, 'Cause I'd already know."

NWsibs: 5
Narnian at Heart
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby smartypants » Sep 23, 2009 4:03 pm

History, by all means is my favorite subject. I enjoy pretty much everything,though I favor somethings more than others.

I am not a big fan of mythology.

WWII is such an interesting time. There is so much to it it's amazing! Though, I would have to say the Vietnam War is my favorite war to study (that sounds odd, but I mean it in a good way! ;) )Though WWII, Korean War, and the Civil War come in close.

My favorite historical figure is Abraham Lincoln, hands down!!! Though, I admire many MANY others in history.
smartypants
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Phosphorus » Sep 24, 2009 7:13 am

Lion's Emblem wrote:I also enjoy the late 2nd and 3rd centuries of China during the time of the Three Kingdoms (great book too). Medieval England and Ireland are also on my top areas of historical study. I didn't really enjoy reading over and studying history when I was in school, but we never did learn any of the periods I was interested in. Now's my time to finally enjoy it, go figure.

I love The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Chinese history is fascinating, but I prefer Persian, personally. Between Ireland and Scotland I also have a tendency to favor the latter. The Anglo-Saxon invasions have to rank as one of my favorite periods of all time.

I know Latin, and I'm learning Greek. I can't begin to express how helpful these have been in my study of history.

I never enjoyed mythology until I got away from the Classical stuff (which, upon a return, does generate some interest). But there is great beauty in Norse, Zoroastrian, and Chinese mythologies, to name a few.
Phosphorus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Gmatt » Sep 24, 2009 9:53 am

OurDLF wrote:and the Warsaw Rising of '44.

I was quite aghast when I learned that Stalin not only held his chaps back from helping but even forbid us Anglo-Americans from basing aircraft on his based to airdrop supplies to the gallant Poles in Warsaw.
The whole Polish aspect of that war can only leave one disappointed; we went to war for them in 1939, and in the end they were under another terrible regime..

Anyways, British Imperial history from 1550 to 1945 with Korea thrown in there too is my forte, most everything after 1945 is just a disappointing end to the saga.

There is little I like to more than settle down with a good book on the Indian Empire, the World Wars, or any other aspect of British history.
Gmatt
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnianerd » Sep 25, 2009 6:20 am

Now that we seem to be talking about WWII I need to ask; Do you think it was nessisary for the US to drop A bombs on Japan or not? Was there a way around it? and what would have happened if we hadn't dropped it?

Well I belive it was nessisary to end the war, The only other way around it was to send hundreds or thosands more Allied troops to their death, not to mention how many more civilians would have died in a land invasion of Japan. I think we would of beat Japan anyways but the fighting would have lasted for months and the death toll on both sides would have been staggering.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby greenleaf23 » Sep 25, 2009 9:25 am

greenleaf23, you're learning LATIN?! I am so jealous! I've always wanted to learn latin. And gaelic.

Well, not yet :ymblushing: but eventually I will. Right now I'm learning German, and it's kinda cool how it connects to English, although it's a little more complicated. I also wanna learn Anglo-Saxon :D

Now that we seem to be talking about WWII I need to ask; Do you think it was nessisary for the US to drop A bombs on Japan or not? Was there a way around it? and what would have happened if we hadn't dropped it?

I remember having a discussion about this once, and I think that it was necessary.
Avi by Visionsbeyond/Awesome sig by Flambeau! NW Sis:Jay
LiveJournal (not really too terribly empty anymore :P)
Team Hoodie!!
greenleaf23
NarniaWeb Guru

Next