This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Other Narnian Countries

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Are there other Narnian countries besides Narnia, Archenland and Calormen?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 13

Other Narnian Countries

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 22, 2009 11:47 am

In LWW, it is mentioned that "princes" wanted Lucy to be their queen. Likewise, in LWW and HHB we hear of Susan's suitors. So if there are multiple kings and princes, does that mean there are multiple countries in the world of Narnia? Or did C. S. Lewis only intend for there to be three official countries in Narnia and the "kings" are only in charge of lesser realms or perhaps even just cities?

Is the world of Narnia bigger than we thought?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Other Narnian Countries

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Hmm...
Possibly. I mean, up until VDT, all we knew was there was the extension of the Lone Islands, Calormen, and Archenland.
Maybe it's like in VDT. Possibly. We'll never know... C.S. Lewis left it to us to think up.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 23, 2009 4:21 pm

We know there are also Galma and Terebinthia. Telmar is also a country but I'm not sure if it was populated during LWW. There might very well be something south of Calormen. The kings and princes could be part of smaller countries, maybe islands north or south of Narnia. Of course Lewis could have just written because it sounded good and then forgotten about it. ;) In my mind I’ve picture them coming mainly from the general direction of East (i.e. over the water.) There could be countries farther west as well. I guess we can imagine it as big or as small as we want. :D
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 25, 2009 3:39 pm

I never used to imagine there being other countries, in fact the first time I read the books and I came to HHB, I was all confused about these other places lol. But to answer the question, yeah I think so, it would make sense.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Sep 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Well, go each direction and see what you find. C.S. Lewis covered all the way East in Dawn Treader so we know what there is that way. The village Shasta lives in is south of Tashbaan. But Bree's master lived even farther south. And Rabadash says that Narnia is even smaller than the Tisroc's smallest province. So even if there aren't any other countries farther south, there's a whole lot more of Calormen.
Go North and there's Ettinsmoor and Harfang. The White Witch came from the north. And so did the Lady of the Green Kirtle. There could be a settlement past Harfang.
Go West and you wind up in the Wild Woods of the West, beyond that are the ice-capped mountains and green valleys that Digory, Polly, and Fledge went through on their way to the Garden. Telmar is to the west. I'm not sure how far though. Oh! There are people to the west! In the first chapter of the Last Battle, the lion's skin that Shift finds floats down the waterfall into Caldron Pool and the narrator says that it wasn't a talking lion, and that a hunter had shot and skinned it.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 26, 2009 6:39 pm

Yes their probably is.Their should be anyway. Like all the island they visit in VDT.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Aslans Country » Oct 07, 2009 12:58 am

There must be. Like everyone else has pointed out, there are a couple of references to other places.

Hmm.. interesting thought. I can see myself writing stories set in other places around Narnia.. :p
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnian_at_heart » Oct 12, 2009 4:55 pm

There's the Wild Lands of the North, Ettinsmoor, and Harfang. There's also Aslan's Country and all those islands that they go to in VDT. And there's the Underworld which was a huge land and there's Bism.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ChristProclamer » Oct 31, 2009 9:23 am

Pattertwig's Pal: Telmar was, in fact populated during the Golden Age.
And the end of LWW mentions 'kings beyond the sea', I think. So possibly there is another continent somewhere. I think, though, we've got all the countries on the Narnian continent, as well as the islands.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru