This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Scariest Scene in all 7 books

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Scariest Scene in all 7 books

Postby Lady Haleth » May 29, 2010 4:43 am

Which part of any of the books scared you the most? For me it was the Dark Island on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The way everyone thought their nightmares were waiting for them in the darkness and how they thought they would never get out--that just made me think of all my nightmares and what it would be like if I was trapped in them. The other scariest scene was at the end of The Last Battle when the stars fell. That there could be an empty sky, 'starless forever', was so chilling and final.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Scariest Scene in all 7 books

Postby GlimGlum » May 29, 2010 10:57 am

Just conincidentally I reread my scariest scene or moment in Narnia. It occurs in the Last Battle when Tirian, Eustace, Jill, Poggin the Dwarf, Jewel, and Puzzle see the figure of Tash moving into Narnia. =;

The first time I read it it really made my imagination go and sent a tingling sensation up the spine. It was just the gradual way that Professor Lewis describes the scene that made it so effective for me. :-t

The weather changes from sunny to cloudy and the temperature drops and the deathly smell and the description of Tash himself floating above the ground with the grass withering beneath. I felt like I was there watching it along with our heroes. (I couldn't blame Puzzle for running into the tower.) x_x
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby beloved » May 29, 2010 12:39 pm

100% agree with GlimGlum. Tash running across that field, bringing the very essence of death with him, is just unsettling. Every time I read about the dark island I think of Tash and how much I bet Eustace wouldn't be afraid of scissors anymore.

"And this marvel of all marvels, that he called me Beloved, me who am but as a dog-"     -Emeth
beloved
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby daughter of the King » May 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Ditto GlimGlum and beloved. Tash makes my skin crawl. It's so well written, I sometimes find myself imagining that it really has clouded over.

The Dark Island is creepy, and it always makes me think of the worst nightmare I ever had (which I shall not describe) :-s .
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Aravis Narnia » May 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Dark Island, Tash, the Stone Table sacrifice...

And most of all, when they tried to marry Aravis off to that nasty Ahoshta Tarkhaan. Gave me nasty flashbacks and goosebumps and a sick feeling in my stomach.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 31, 2010 9:03 am

I would agree with the Dark Island scene. The Tash scene is masterfully written, but there's something about nightmares coming true that rings a bit spookier for me.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby MountainFireflower » May 31, 2010 11:44 am

The Tash scene, as well as the Stone Table, and the nightmare island were all very spooky for me, although not necessarily in a bad way. C.S. Lewis handles those scenes in a very tactful way.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » May 31, 2010 10:50 pm

I have a lot of scary moments in here but the one that really scared me was in LB when Tirian and everyone heard news about Cair Paravel and everyone in it being destroyed and Tirian's words "So Narnia is no more"

It'll be more dramatic if they get to making this movie.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jun 01, 2010 6:49 am

Tash and the scene beneath the How with the hag and the werewolf.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 01, 2010 11:17 am

I neglected to mention in my above post that The Dark Island would be a close second. The terror of the imagination can produce a fear just as strong as or more than an actual entity.

And the feeling of being trapped and unable to get out of the dark mist just adds to the terror of the Dawn Treader crew. So anyone who has the Dark Island as scariest, I would not try to dissuade him/her from that position. =;
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 01, 2010 11:59 am

for me, the scariest part was the final battle in LB.....that was so scary and still is to this day to me!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 02, 2010 1:24 am

Yes i have to agree with GlimGlum about the Dark Island. Imagine being stuck there like Rhoop seeing your nightmares coming true and imagine still being there until you die. It makes me shiver to think about it.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnian1993 » Jun 02, 2010 8:02 pm

I would have to agree with almost everyone else and say that the Dark Island was the scariest for me. I believe that the saddest part tho is the Stone Table. everytime i read that scene, I cry. :'(

but along with the others, there is something deathly chilly and creepy about nightmares coming true. but Jack certaintly did some beautiful writing in this piece!!
~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis
Narnian1993
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 02, 2010 8:28 pm

Narnian1993 wrote:but along with the others, there is something deathly chilly and creepy about nightmares coming true. but Jack certaintly did some beautiful writing in this piece!!

Yes, he definitely did. I love how tactfully he handled the scary scenes...it's hard to put it into words but he wrote them so well. They're not intense enough to give me nightmares but just scary enough to give me chills...every single time. :|
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Jun 03, 2010 3:17 pm

I must say I was a bit scared when Lucy had to go into the room where the magic book was (in VDT). I was like, "come on hurry up before the magician catches you!". :D. :))

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby beloved » Jun 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Well the dark Island would be absolutely terrifying (but I would probably be stalked by Tash...). I can think of several nightmares that I never want to see come true.

I'll be honest, I was scared to death when in VotDT they called that Reepicheep had fallen overboard.

"And this marvel of all marvels, that he called me Beloved, me who am but as a dog-"     -Emeth
beloved
NarniaWeb Nut

Next