This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite lines in all the 7 books :)

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Favorite lines in all the 7 books :)

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Jun 03, 2010 3:20 pm

What are your top 5(how many you want) lines that you will never ever forget in all the seven books that C.S Lewis made?
Love to hear your answers! ;) :ymsmug:

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Favorite lines in all the 7 books :)

Postby Princess Anna » Jun 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Welcome to Narniaweb! :)

I'd have to think my answers over. (I don't know if I could narrow it down that far!)
But in the meantime, you can check out a very similar thread we had awhile ago.
Look for it here.

Come on, people! Don't be shy! ;)
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 03, 2010 6:46 pm

I'll repost mine from the previous thread on this subject.

1. "I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you." Aslan to Shasta, HHB The Unwelcome Fellow Traveler
I always get goosebumps when I read that. It's just beautiful. Shasta thinks everything in his life is one bit of bad luck after the other but Aslan shows him that there was a plan for everything that happened, and that his story is more important than Shasta thinks it is.

2. "I am," said Aslan, "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." Aslan to Lucy, Edmund, and Eustace, VDT The Very End of the World
I sometimes feel like Aslan isn't just speaking to Lucy, Edmund, and Eustace. He's speaking to the reader.

3. "'In the world from which my friends come...they have a story of a prince or a king coming to a castle where all the people lay in an enchanted sleep. In that story he could not dissolve the enchantment, until he had kissed the princess.' 'But here,' said the girl, 'it is different. Here he cannot kiss the Princess until he has dissolved the enchantment.' 'Then,' said Caspian,'in the name of Aslan, show me how to set about that work at once.'" Caspian and RD, VDT The Three Sleepers
I'm a hopeless romantic. :ymdaydream:

4. Peter held the door closed but did not shut it; for, of course, he remembered, as every sensible person does, that you should never shut yourself up in a wardrobe. LWW, Back On This Side of the Door
Isn't that the whole point of the story? :D

5. And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before. LB, Farewell to Shadowlands
It's just so beautiful. And the perfect way to end the story.

6. "Begone, Monster, and take your lawful prey to your own place: in the name of Aslan, and Aslan's great Father the Emperor-over-the-Sea." LB, Through the Stable Door
Peter's finest moment in the whole series. I really like how everyone was afraid of Tash and then Peter tells him to leave in Aslan's and the Emperor's names. And he does.

7. "All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always likes to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things--trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan' side, even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian if I can, even if there isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that's small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say." SC, The Queen of Underland
What can I say that hasn't been said already? Go Puddleglum!

8. "Don't you mind him," said Puddleglum. "There are no accidents. Our guide is Aslan; and he was there when the giant King cause the letters to be cut, and he knew already all things that would come of them; including this." SC, Travels Without the Sun
I like it for the same reason as Pattertwigs Pal.

9. Up till then he had been looking at the Lion's great feet and the huge claws on them; now, in his despair, he looked up at its face. What he saw surprised him as much as anything in his whole life. For the tawny face was bent down near his own, and (wonder of wonders) great shining tears stood in the Lion's eyes. They were such big, bright tears compared to Digory's own that for a moment he felt as if the Lion must really be sorrier about his Mother than he was himself. MN, Strawberry's Adventure
It's so sad and so beautiful at the same time.

10. They began with a rich, brown loam that looked almost exactly like chocolate; so like chocolate, in fact, that Edmund tried a piece of it, but he did not find it at all nice. PC, Aslan Makes a Door in the Air
It makes me laugh.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby beloved » Jun 04, 2010 8:11 am

1. Lucy could only say, "It would break your heart." "Why," said I, "was it sad?" "Sad!! No," said Lucy. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The first time I read this it just took my breath away. It's such a line of feeling, and good feeling, the best kind of emotion in the world, pure Joy.

2. "One who has waited long for you to speak,"... The Horse and His Boy
Not one who waited for you to come, I've always been here, I just waited until you noticed me, until you came to speak to me. I've always been here, waiting for you to say something to me.

3 Since Puddleglum's grand speach has already been quoted I won't type it again, but insert here ;)
When the whole world tells us the same lie we will still search out the truth and find it for ourselves.

4. "Courage child: we are all between the paws of the true Aslan." The Last Battle
A few words to reassure Jill as they head out into a world full of lies to expose it, and that no matter what happens Aslan is with us, and if that is so, tell me who can stand against us?

5."They say Aslan is on the move-perhaps has already landed."
And now a very curious thing happened. None of the children knew who Aslan was anymore than you do; but the moment the Beaver had spoken these words everyone felt quite different. Perhaps it has sometimes happened to you in a dream that someone says something which you don't understand but in the dream it feels as if it has some enormous meaning..."
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Even when I read that I did know who Aslan was but I'd never heard it said that way, it was just beautiful.

"And this marvel of all marvels, that he called me Beloved, me who am but as a dog-"     -Emeth
beloved
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 09, 2010 5:16 pm

I'll repost mine too.
  1. You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve ... and that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth. – PC, Ch. 15 I like this one because it says it all. I don’t know how else to describe it.
  2. “I call all times soon,” said Aslan. – VDT, Ch. 11 This quote used to be my favorite. I feel like there is meaning in it I don’t exactly understand. Since I tend to be late or later than I mean to, I think that is why I like it.
  3. Aravis also had many quarrels (and, I'm afraid, even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up again: so that years later, when they were grown up, they were so used to quarrelling and making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently. – HHB, Ch. 15 This is such a unique way of putting that they got married, and it is humorous.
  4. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things - trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that's a small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say. – SC, Ch. 12 This is where Puddleglum really shines, and it is really encouraging.
  5. "That's the worst of girls," said Edmund to Peter and the Dwarf. "They never can carry a map in their heads."
    "That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy.
    – PC, Ch. 9 This dialog is funny. I can to relate to it because I definitely have way too much in my head to keep a map there. ;))
  6. On again, trot and walk and trot, jingle-jingle-jingle, squeak-squeak-squeak, smell of hot horse, smell of hot self, blinding glare, headache. – HHB, Ch. 9 This line really gives an idea of what it was like on the journey. The short phrases make a beat that mirrors the movement of the horses and suggest tiredness. I especially like the part “smell of hot horse, smell of hot self”
  7. For though the whole fire had not been put out, a good bit of it had, and what remained smelled largely of burnt Marsh-wiggle, which is not at all an enchanting smell. – SC, Ch. 12 It paints a nice word picture with the part about burnt Marsh-wiggle not being enchanting.
  8. ”Logic!” said the Professor half to himself. “Why don’t they teach logic at these schools?” – LWW, Ch. 5 I often wonder why people are not taught (or don’t use) logic.
  9. "Don't you mind,” said Puddleglum. “There are no accidents. Our guide is Aslan; and he was there when the giant king caused the letters to be cut, and he knew already all things that would come of them; including this.” – SC, Ch. 10 This is another one of Puddleglum’s good moments. It reminds me that God is in control of my life.
  10. Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.
    – LWW, Ch. 8 This was one of the first parts of the Narnia books that stuck in my memory so it had to make it to this list. It also shows who the true deliverer of Narnia would be.

Honorable mention: I love how Lewis uses every opportunity possible to point out it is foolish to shut oneself in a wardrobe. This doesn't really fit as a quote, but I like it so much I had to mention it. :ymblushing:
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 09, 2010 8:09 pm

I saw that you had reposted yours, PP and I realized that I never did get around to commenting on them. Better late then never, right? :p

1. That line does say it all. I never thought much about it, other than to realize that being descended from Adam and Eve really is both honorable and shameful.
2. I like this one, too. But it always makes me laugh for some reason; I don't know why.
3. ;)) I love this one! It always makes me laugh.
4. Go Puddleglum! Since this is one of my favorites I don't think I need to say anything else.
5. I can't carry a map in my head either.
6. I never really payed much attention to this one, but it does give a good idea of the sounds and smells that were there. It's almost poetic the way it's written.
7. I've always liked this one, too. I suppose I like it because burnt Marshwiggle is the last thing I would expect to be able to counteract magic effectively.
8. The real lesson behind LWW, along with never shutting yourself up in a wardrobe. :D
9. I guess we both like Puddleglum.
10. Ah. I really like this one. I was sad when it wasn't in the movie. It flows so beautifully, and it shows that Aslan is in charge.

beloved
1. I have always liked this line. I sometimes stop and try to imagine what Lucy's describing but I never can.
2. I think that entire chapter is my favorite part in the entire series.
3. Puddleglum again! :D
4. I really like this one as well. It's very comforting, and exactly what Jill needs to hear.
5. I had seen the BBC too many times for this to really stick out when I read the book, but I always liked the imagery that is used.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby InklingsNut8472 » Jun 13, 2010 7:48 pm

My number-one favorite is in my signature, but it's worth emphasizing!

Note: I don't have the patience right now to look these up word-for-word, so bear with me if I paraphrase a bit here and there.

1. "I have come home at last. This is my real country. I belong here. This is the land I've been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now!"

^I got choked up reading this line during a presentation at a research conference a few years back. As Dorothy says, "there's no place like home." Everyone knows the sting of loneliness, and how powerful would it be to realize that you are EXACTLY where you're supposed to be and that you'll be living there forever???

2. "I'm going to live as much like a Narnian as I can, even if there isn't any Narnia...I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it."

^Best statement of faith. Ever.

3. "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

^Easily the best beginning in the Narnia books. As Douglas Gresham points out, Lewis himself knew what it was like to have an awkward name (I mean, come on, "Staples?" Albert and Flora, what were you thinking?)

4. "Up till then he had been looking at the Lion's great feet and the huge claws on them; now, in his despair, he looked up at its face. What he saw surprised him as much as anything in his whole life. For the tawny face was bent down near his own and (wonder of wonders) great shining tears stood in the Lion's eyes. They were such big, bright tears compared with Digory's own that for a moment he felt as if the Lion must really be sorrier about his Mother than he was himself."

^The two things that stick out here are the fact that Digory is focusing on the claws and the fact that Aslan is sorrier about Mrs. Kirke than Digory is himself. I think this shows the danger of focusing too much on God's power and judgment as opposed to his mercy. And how comforting to know that as much as we love our loved ones, there is Someone who loves them even more than we do!

5. The ending to HHB, where we are told that the two quarreling lovers get married "so as to go on [quarreling] more conveniently."

^Young or old, married or unmarried, I dare you not to laugh at that passage.
~InklingsNut8472
State of Indiana, USA
Future Inhabitant of Aslan's Country

"I have come home at last. This is my real country. I belong here. This is the land I've been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now!"
InklingsNut8472
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 13, 2010 8:01 pm

"Courage dear heart." - Aslan, VotDT
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 13, 2010 8:25 pm

^ Ditto. That's probably #1 on my list.

I'll come back and add the rest later. :p
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lady Haleth » Jun 14, 2010 5:14 am

"Beware! The bolt of Tash falls from above!"
"Does is ever get caught on a hook halfway?"--The Horse and Hid Boy
That is hilarious.
"...there are some perils from which a man must flee"
"It is, then, my great good fortune not to be a man."--The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
Reepicheep is so funny.
"Yes, of course. That's what always happens on adventures."--The Silver Chair.
I love Puddleglum.
Most of my other favorite lines have been quoted already.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Jun 15, 2010 2:47 am

Lady Haleth wrote:"Beware! The bolt of Tash falls from above!"
"Does is ever get caught on a hook halfway?"--The Horse and Hid Boy
That is hilarious.
"...there are some perils from which a man must flee"
"It is, then, my great good fortune not to be a man."--The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
Reepicheep is so funny.
"Yes, of course. That's what always happens on adventures."--The Silver Chair.
I love Puddleglum.
Most of my other favorite lines have been quoted already.

haha, I like this Lady Haleth. :ymsmug:

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Haleth » Jun 19, 2010 7:22 am

I really love funny quotes, and there is so much humor in Narnia
...for jokes as well as justice come with speech
The Magician's Nephew
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed
Also from the Magician's Nephew
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pepper Darcy » Jun 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Begone, Monster, and take your lawful prey to your own place: in the name of Aslan, and Aslan's great Father the Emperor-over-the-Sea... Peter, LB

Courage Dear Heart... Aslan, VDT

Oh Aslan, Aslan! if you ever loved us send us help now... Lucy, VDT

Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.

and I like Jill's 'then you are somebody' speech and her conversation with Aslan; I don't have time to post it now, but I love that part: Aslan calls his children, not they seek Aslan.

I also like Tirian's line on resting between Aslan's paws =) So comforting! =D

:music: risk it all cuz I'll catch you if you fall... if my heart was a house you'd be home :music:
Pepper Darcy
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Haleth » Jun 29, 2010 7:29 am

Anyway, I'd rather be killed fighting for Narnia than grow old and stupid at home and perhaps go about in a Bath chair and die in the end just the same.
The Last Battle
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby violetfirekrazed » Jun 30, 2010 7:35 pm

I think my favorite line is this:

You are of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve. That is both Honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar and bow the shoulders of the greatest Emperor on Earth. Be content.

Aslan to Caspian, Prince Caspian

It was something like that. I tried to quote it from memory because at the moment, I can't get to my Prince Caspian book. :(

~VFK~
violetfirekrazed
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Jul 01, 2010 12:38 pm

One of my favorites is one of the funniest too (IMHO). It is from The Horse and His Boy and if they ever make the movie version, this needs to be word for word from the book. :|

From chapter 7 (Aravis in Tashbaan) of the The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis:

Larsaraleen Tarkheena wrote: Here. All of you. And you, doorkeeper. No one is to be let out of the house today. And anyone I catch talking about this young lady will be first beaten to death and then burned alive and after that be kept on bread and water for six weeks. There.

:-o 8-| ;)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Next