This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Susan in VotDT - English Dress

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Susan in VotDT - English Dress

Postby Meltintalle » May 25, 2010 8:29 am

tenthofthatname wrote:http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8530 ... play01.jpg (Peter, Susan)

So. Blue fabric with a floral pattern. Lots of small buttons down the front--I'm counting six. Sleeves gathered into the armscythe. The collar is one piece with the rest of the dress. There is a blue flower pin or some other form of decoration on the left front.

I went looking for what dresses from the early 1940's would look like. I'm guessing that most/all of these are American, rather than British.

This is what I immediately assumed the dress would look like, though closer inspection says NOT. I'm still hoping that's a good guess for the sleeve. ;)

This dress has a similar neckline to what I think is going on in the picture.

Here is an example of a similar brooch.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: Susan in VotDT

Postby DaughterofEve1792 » May 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks for staying on top of things Metintalle! :D
DaughterofEve1792
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » May 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Meltintalle wrote:I went looking for what dresses from the early 1940's would look like. I'm guessing that most/all of these are American, rather than British.

Overall it is very great information. And I like for the fact that it is American style rather then British because I think we've got an answer now on where the picture will actually take place.

Since in this Susan goes to America and now her fashion sense, nylons, etc is starting to take its' toll. Perhaps this picture will be the picture shown in the Magican's Book from America. Since Lucy saw what two girls were saying about her and it was happening at that moment in her world, Susan's appearance in the Magican's Book can take place at time time, her being in America I mean.

I love Susan's outfit, the brooch and her hair style. She's really growing up.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Meltintalle » May 25, 2010 6:12 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:I like for the fact that it is American style rather then British because I think we've got an answer now on where the picture will actually take place.
Well, I was looking at it in more of a 'I know where to find American 1940's looks quickly whereas British photos/patterns will require a bit more digging' fashion, but that is a good point. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby tenthofthatname » May 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I uploaded a clearer picture of Peter and Susan in the same thread although I'm already amazed you caught so many details with the older picture. I didn't catch the sleeve until I saw the display again. Love this thread already.
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » May 26, 2010 3:29 am

Do you think Lucy would see Susan in American fashions in the Magician's Book? I am sure it ought to be what she herself knows of Susan - neither she nor the book (nor the magician) knows what American fashions would be like!

I'm also a bit dubious about Mrs Pevensie buying very much for her daughter while they are visiting America - perhaps a nice blouse, a skirt? I daresay Susan might want to buy a lipstick, and might get one with her own spending money. This is only 2 years after LWW so she is only just going on 16. English girls and their mums were much more conservative than Americans during the 40s and 50s.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Meltintalle » May 26, 2010 5:57 pm

tenthofthatname, that is a lovely new picture. :D

Auntie, I'm beginning to think that the dress style is very early 1940's. All two patterns I've found that include that type of collar date to 1940 -- so perhaps it is not a new dress?
ETA: I found two more in 1936! No picture though, unless you have access to the Commercial Pattern Archives One even has the little buttons going down the front.

*is quite possibly having way to much fun looking through pictures of old pattern envelopes* :p

I think the photo is flipped. It seems that the part usually was on the left, whereas Susan is wearing her part on the right. Also, here is a booklet with hairstyles using movie stars as examples. Susan's is very similar to the one shown on the glamor page, it just looks like her curls are a bit more brushed out.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby DamselJillPole » May 27, 2010 12:22 am

I love the neckline of Susan's blouse. It reminds me of one I kept from my own grandmother who wore one in the late 1940's. It's definitely American.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Éowyn » May 27, 2010 6:53 am

You mean your Grandma's dress was definitely American, right, not Susan's? Because I don't believe there were any big differences between British and American WWII dress. And anyway, from what I've read, Simplicity and Butterick at least were well established in England and France long before WWII (Dubarry, the first pattern Mel linked, was a brand of Simplicity's).

No reason to assume that Susan is dressed in anything other than a typical British wartime dress.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » May 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Yeah Susan could have been shopping in America and was trying it on when Lucy saw her sister in the Magician's book. I think this is possibly going to happen instead of seeing Susan in the beginning with Peter.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Éowyn » May 27, 2010 7:34 pm

What about it is American?

A couple things leaped out at me a few minutes ago. The floral pattern...! It's Susan's signature flower, daffodils, which, of course, also shows up on her crown, on her PC purple dress, embossed into her PC battle armor, etc. The big flower pin looks a daffodil also. Isn't that neat? :D I think I'm going to love this dress.

True, it doesn't really help with the whole "Susan moving on from Narnia" thing, but I love it.

Also, the collar looks to be shirred.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » May 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Wow that's neat Lady Eowyn! I'm going to look at the pattern again. ;)

Yes the top cut of the layers around the neckline is sheer possibly.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » May 28, 2010 12:31 am

I'd be hoping that what Lucy sees in the book is Susan as she was as an adult in Narnia, a beautiful young woman in her mid 20s, elegant, well dressed etc. Lucy would remember this. Somehow I expect the pictures to be out of Lucy's memory and imagination.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby DamselJillPole » May 28, 2010 1:11 pm

I'm only wondering this and I hope this isn't what the crew is doing X(

but what if Lucy's crush on Caspian is true for the movie and her jealousy comes back to her sister Susan and how she is the only beautiful thing in her life and kissed Caspian when Lucy knows for a fact she can never have her moment like her sister did?

Anyway I still think Susan's picture on the poster is her actual one and only cameo in VDT. I think like how Lucy could see her friend talking behind her back could be in that very moment while she's in Narnia can see what Susan is doing in that very moment too.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Éowyn » Jun 01, 2010 8:24 am

Actually, I meant shirring as in decorative gathering done with rows of stitching. You've probably seen summer dresses in stores that are shirred with elastic thread.

If you look closely at the neckline in the high quality picture we have, you can see small gathers that look like shirring... which may mean the collar is a separate piece; there could be a seam just above the top button.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Yes I saw that a few days ago when i saw the real banner at my local movie theater. It does have some sort of shirring neckline.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next