This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

General Movie Questions

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: General Movie Questions

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Mar 25, 2010 11:21 am

I was wondering if we'd had a confirmation that Gael(MLG) is Rhince's daughter? I seemed to remember that, but I wasn't quite sure... :-\
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby icarus » Mar 25, 2010 3:10 pm

A_Narnian_Ship wrote:I was wondering if we'd had a confirmation that Gael(MLG) is Rhince's daughter? I seemed to remember that, but I wasn't quite sure... :-\

Not entirely.

We have confirmation that Gael has a Mum, and an Aunt.

We have confirmation that Rhince joins the voyage to look for his lost wife.

We have confirmation that Gael jumps off the boat after shouting "Mummy" and that Rhince jumps in straight after shouting "Elaine" or "Ellie" or a similar female name.

Based on that video we could logically assume that Gael's mum and Rhince's wife are the same person, but at this point it is only a logical assumption.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Mar 26, 2010 7:45 am

Thanks icarus!!! I appreciate it!
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Elesdee » Apr 03, 2010 12:18 pm

I thought the part with Miraz instructing Glozelle to kill his men was fairly simple to understand. For hundreds of years the real Narnians have been forced underground by the Telmarines - the Telmarines justified this course of action by believing the "propaganda" that the Narnians were a savage and barbaric people. If they came and stole weapons without harming a single soldier then it flies in the face of the lies told by the leaders of the Telmarines.

If that information got out then the soldiers would question why they're fighting the real Narnians and everything they'd previously believed about them. Miraz instructs Glozelle to kill his men so that it reinforces the stereotype of the Narnian savagery. It does also lend itself to making Miraz king, but I think the lie spread about the kidnap of Prince Caspian by the real Narnians really put Miraz on the throne.

The part I never understood in PC was that after years of hating each other, the real Narnians come back at the end of the film and everyone is in the streets cheering their return. The Telmarines hated the Narnians because of the aforementioned lies spread about them - knowing human history (and the Telmarines are human), there would be real racism issues in Narnia after that event - hence the reason Aslan gave them a chance to go back to earth. However it looked like everyone was happy as they came back through the streets, it made the very last scene of the return to earth a little nonsensical.
Elesdee
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 03, 2010 12:44 pm

^I think they were happy that Caspian got his throne back, especially if they didn't like Miraz to begin with.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby decarus » Apr 04, 2010 9:25 pm

I agree. The climax at the end of the film didn't make sense. Peter's character never recovered and it didn't make sense that everyone was cheering as they entered the city.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby BarbarianKing » Apr 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Elesdee wrote:I
The part I never understood in PC was that after years of hating each other, the real Narnians come back at the end of the film and everyone is in the streets cheering their return. The Telmarines hated the Narnians because of the aforementioned lies spread about them - knowing human history (and the Telmarines are human), there would be real racism issues in Narnia after that event - hence the reason Aslan gave them a chance to go back to earth. However it looked like everyone was happy as they came back through the streets, it made the very last scene of the return to earth a little nonsensical.

In the book it clearly says that there were many young people, aka, the younger generation who really liked the "Old Narnia" and stories about the old Narnia. So not every Telmarine was a hater. wouldn't it make sense if many of those young people were the ones cheering? I know that in PC they got so many things wrong, but this part was not one of them in my opinion
BarbarianKing
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Elesdee » Apr 11, 2010 5:32 am

I know what you're saying - the part with the school kids (IMO Prince Caspian was the weakest book anyway) all joining in with the marching through the streets. They didn't explain this however and changed the story quite considerably to make the ending seem very unlikely. In which case I do think that this part of the film was very badly done.
Elesdee
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby decarus » Apr 11, 2010 8:02 am

I am going to have to disagree. Prince Caspian was not the weakest book by any stretch of the imagination. I think Voyage of the Dawn Treader is probably the weakest because i am not sure that it does a great job connecting it's plot. Though it does depend on the day, but Silver Chair, Dawn Treader, and Magician's Nephew are always in my bottom three.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Elesdee » Apr 11, 2010 8:46 am

The Silver Chair is definitely one of the best - theologically speaking it has an excellent point to it. VOTDT is brilliant and TMN was weak but not as weak as PC. I guess we shall have to disagree!
Elesdee
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby decarus » Apr 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Yes, we can agree to disagree. Prince Caspian is my second favorite book behind only The Last Battle which is my clear favorite. There is great philosophy in all of the books. VotDT just seems all over the place with the plot which may also be it's problem in the film which is probably why they are going to add things that are not in the book.

I will agree that Prince Caspian was a difficult adaption to film because a third of the book was done in flashback, but not because it is a weak book.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Adeona » May 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Yes, that scene in PC of the Telmarines cheering the Narnians is a little bizarre in the framework of the movie...

Question:
I've heard that in the beginning stages of planning for LWW something was discussed regarding changing the setting of the opening scenes to modern America. When did we learn about this? Can someone who was following LWW at the time give me more information/particulars about that crazy idea? I'm a curious person.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » May 13, 2010 3:02 pm

When Walden Media was requesting the rights to LWW, another company was alos reqesting the rights, but planning on setting it in modern day chicago :-o . Obviously, that fell through. Hope that answers your questions!!!
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Adeona » May 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Ooh, I see. It wasn't Walden. And it was Chicago, not L.A., as I had thought. Thanks!
Is it true that pizza was mentioned or was that an inferred detail? :p =))
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » May 14, 2010 1:00 pm

^^ it was going to be cheeseburgers and fries instead of turkish delight :ymsick: :))
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Adeona » May 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Seriously!? :ymsick: Blergh! That's awful! Where did we learn all this?
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext