This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Cooking/Cake Decorating

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Rachel111- Here is one of my family's favorite cookie recipes. It's simple and fast.

Amish Sugar Cookies
1 C. sugar
1 C. butter
1 C. oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
1 C. powder sugar
4 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt

Beat sugar, butter, and oil. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Add other ingredients and beat. Roll into walnut-size balls. Flatten with a fork. Decorate with sugar or sprinkles. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

And here is our Kookie Cookie recipe. (It's similar to ValiantArcher's recipe, but you don't have to chill it.)

Kookie Cookies
1 cake mix(any flavor, chocolate is my favorite)
1/3 C. oil
2 eggs

Mix all three ingredients together. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls unto a cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes at 375. We sometimes add about half a bag of chocolate chips.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Rachel111 » Sep 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Thanks for your help everybody! I think I am going to go with this recipe I found online.

Absolutely the best Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter flavored shortening

3/4 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups milk chocolate chips

All of your recipes look good, and I think I will keep them and make one of them later just for the family! ;)

Thanks again!
Hello! My name is Rachel. But just call me Chel.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... 06x331.jpg
A picture of my favorite band, The Arcade Fire.
Rachel111
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 19, 2009 2:08 pm

I made Lemon Cupcakes today, they're for our church's dinner tomorrow. But I made a couple to taste, got to make sure they're good. ;) And they are delicious, IMHO.

I used a vanilla cupcake recipe and used lemon bakery emulsion in place of vanilla extract. I got the recipe from http://www.joyofbaking.com.

SnowAngel

Lemon Cupcakes 9-19-09.JPG

Lemon Cupcake 9-19-09.JPG
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Sep 19, 2009 3:40 pm

SnowAngel wrote: And they are delicious, IMHO.
Just in case y'all were wondering, yes, the cupcakes ARE actually as good as they look. Maybe even better...;;)

~Scarlet
Av by Wunderkind_Lucy & Sig by flambeau
President of the Come What May Club - PM me to join!
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aurora » Sep 21, 2009 6:59 am

Those cupcakes look absolutely delicious!!

One of the nicest things are homemade scones (plain) with clotted cream and strawberry jam. =p~
Aurora
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 21, 2009 10:19 am

SnowAngel, those are amazing! I can't believe how wonderfully done the icing is!

My tea party is done, and the foods I used were great. Mini muffins with brown sugar in the middle, chocolate chip scones, galaxy cookies, cucumber sandwiches, and lunch meat sandwiches. Unfortunately, halfway through making the cucumber sandwiches, my mom came in and said they weren't supposed to be on bread. I was supposed to used the cucumbers as the 'bread', and putting the cream in the middle. Does anyone else put it on real bread?
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am

Hmm. I've never had cucumber sandwiches where the cucumber was the bread...it was always the filling and cukes mixed together, and then put on white or whole wheat bread.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Aurora wrote:One of the nicest things are homemade scones (plain) with clotted cream and strawberry jam.

The English language has so many wonderful opportunities to produce unique sounding word combinations that fit perfectly with describing things like food. Which is why I'm looking at this and wondering why anyone would use the word "clotted" in relation to anything edible. "Congealed" is another favorite. :ymsick: Couldn't they just have called it "Super Duper Yummy Thick Cream Stuff"? /:) Is it cream cheese? And I agree, strawberry anything rules with total impunity. :)

Snow Angel you are officially allowed to make pastries and forward them to me at will, and I will be happy to taste test them for you at any time. There's absolutely no need to put your young teeth at risk of a trip to the dentist's office when my teeth can do such dangerous work on your behalf! :D

And aren't cucumber sandwiches kind of like the British equivalent of the BLT?...do they have mayo? Please say no...
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Aurora » Sep 22, 2009 4:32 am

Shadowlander wrote:
Aurora wrote:One of the nicest things are homemade scones (plain) with clotted cream and strawberry jam.

The English language has so many wonderful opportunities to produce unique sounding word combinations that fit perfectly with describing things like food. Which is why I'm looking at this and wondering why anyone would use the word "clotted" in relation to anything edible. "Congealed" is another favorite. :ymsick: Couldn't they just have called it "Super Duper Yummy Thick Cream Stuff"? /:) Is it cream cheese? And I agree, strawberry anything rules with total impunity. :)

LOL :) No. Clotted Cream is not the same as cream cheese. Clotted cream is considered to be relatively english/british. Over here it's generally served as part of cream tea. =p~ Here's a link to a wiki page about clotted cream:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotted_cream

Cream cheese is stuff like Philadephia. Which is also so yummy! =p~
Aurora
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Shadowlander wrote: Snow Angel you are officially allowed to make pastries and forward them to me at will, and I will be happy to taste test them for you at any time. There's absolutely no need to put your young teeth at risk of a trip to the dentist's office when my teeth can do such dangerous work on your behalf! :D
:ymapplause: I would, but shipping is rather expensive. :( ;)

I'm off to make frosting for a big chocolate chip cookie. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Last Tuesday, I made a big chocolate chip cookie for the first day of fall. But I forgot to post a picture. The red frosting didn't come the shade I want, but it did taste good. ;)
Chocolate Chip Cookie 9-22-09.JPG
Chocolate Chip Cookie 9-22-09.JPG (47.92 KiB) Viewed 14980 times

Thanks to Djaq for her Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. It was delicious. :D

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Shadowlander wrote: And aren't cucumber sandwiches kind of like the British equivalent of the BLT?...do they have mayo? Please say no...

Actually, they did have mayo, but I used yogurt instead, since I have an allergy to eggs, which are in mayo. I think it was probably better with yogurt instead, anyway!
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby starkat » Oct 04, 2009 5:12 pm

I have very pink hands at the moment. ;)) I decorated my first cake in years and I do mean years tonight. I went to a baby shower and I recruited myself to help with the secondary cake as they were a bit stressed with all of the final details.

One of the other ladies whipped up some extra icing to pull it off and I know the star's not quite right, but it's probably been better than 10 years since I touched an icing bag. ;)) (Also, I never progressed very far in my cake decorating class. I took one and never could master roses. :ymblushing: So, I am very out of practice.)

starkat

Postby SnowAngel » Oct 05, 2009 3:18 pm

Wow, starkat! That's a good-looking cake anyway, but for not having decorated in that long, WOW. Scarlet said it just needs some bluebonnets. ;)

I haven't done any baking since I made the big cookie. One of my sisters made candy and then everyone had colds, so no baking yet. :( I want to make cookies so bad. As the little kids like to say, "I need chocolate!"

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Horse_Lover » Oct 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Wow! Very lovely works from everyone! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Shadowlander: It's not as big as the pics make it look. :)
It's the biggest loaf pan. 16"x?? :)
It took my about an afternoon to decorate. :)
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby starkat » Oct 05, 2009 6:37 pm

SnowAngel wrote:Wow, starkat! That's a good-looking cake anyway, but for not having decorated in that long, WOW. Scarlet said it just needs some bluebonnets. ;)

Thanks SnowAngel. Yeah you're right. It does need a few bluebonnets. :)

Today I went to a restaurant that I've never been to, but I've been making baked potato soup from their recipe. WOW. That place was incredible. I almost ordered their baked potato soup, but I got steak instead. Now... how to cook steak that well. ;))
starkat

PreviousNext