This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Character Profiles

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Character Profiles

Postby fantasia » Feb 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Boy, it has been a LONG time since we updated these. Might have had something to do with transferring the old NarniaWeb over to the new NarniaWeb and transferring the character profiles to a wiki format since this new site didn't support the old character profile pages very well. In case you missed the link on the right sidebar, here it is...

http://wiki.narniaweb.com/index.php/Main_Page

Anywho... new profiles :D Ginger and Rabadash. Take a look and see what you think. As always, if you notice anything you believe to be wrong or missing, please let us know asap (on any of the profiles, not just the new ones). Positive feedback is good too. :D And if your favorite character still isn't done, you can post that too! ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Character Profiles

Postby Reepi » Apr 21, 2010 6:28 pm

I still find the statements in Jadis Character Profile somewhat.. debatable, at least.
You do cite the sources for the claims made in LWW and write about the discrepancy that in MN she is depicted as "the last of the humanoid race of Charn" but you forget that even in MN the only hint Lewis gives us hints at Giants here too as it does in LWW and further emphasises the point of her not being human:

Quote MN, Chapter 5:
For one thing, they had not realized till now how very big she was. "Hardly human" was what Digory thought when he looked at her; and
he may have been right, for some say there is giantish blood in the royal family of Charn. But even her height was nothing compared with her beauty, her fierceness, and her wildness. She looked ten times more alive than most of the people one meets in London.

The emphasis, again, is on her not being human and her only appearing human-ish and again explaining her height with giant ancestors. Any other ancestors are not given and if they are not Jinn as stated in LWW, they might have been anything, but hardly human.
Another point entirely is the Phrase used to refer to the humans of earth: "Sons of Adam" and "Daughter of Eve". As all humans in Narnia originate from Frank and Helen which are from Earth itself, the phrase that only a "Son of Adam" or "Daughter of Eve" is to be king does tie in with the fact that it ultimately refers to the origins and the biblical Adam and Eve. One could say that if Jadis was partly "human", she even wouldn't be allowed to reign as her origin is not "from earth", but then the books DO state that there is "hardly" or "no" drop of human blood in her anyway.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aravis Narnia » Apr 22, 2010 6:24 pm

Is it stated explicitly in HHB that Aravis IS younger than Shasta? I thought they were both about 14 years old. In fact, she seems a bit more mature than him at times.

Otherwise, her profile is very good.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Galadriel » Apr 22, 2010 7:44 pm

As far as I know, the only hint given about Aravis being younger or older than Shasta is this one:

"And there's another thing I don't understand about that story," said Shasta. "You're not grown up, I don't believe you're any older than I am. I don't believe you're as old. How could you be getting married at your age?"

~ HHB, Chapter 3
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Apr 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Try this page of character age information:

http://www.narniaweb.com/resources-links/character-ages/
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Aravis Narnia » Apr 23, 2010 2:12 pm

I see. Maybe she did look young for her age, though. I know I do- I pass for a teenager all the time, even though I am in my 30s. Understandable, since this is basically the only info we have.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ChristProclamer » Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm

I think Lewis said elsewhere that Aravis was 14.
This isn't a necessary bit of info...but I'm pretty sure that the etymology of Glozelle's name is the archaic word gloze, meaning 'flattery or deceit'.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » May 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Haha, that's funny, ChristProclamor! Gloze... :)
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut