This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Prince Rilian

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Prince Rilian

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Hiya! I decided to do a Rilian forum since I've seen none so far of King Caspian and RD's son. For the past few months I've been looking for actors that will match Caspian (Ben) and Ramandu's daughter's (Laura) looks. I came across to the bottom two that I liked.

1. Gaspard Ulliel

I figured he looked somewhat similar to Ben Barnes and he would have gotten half his smile and eye color from his mom RD.

2. Justin Chatwin
His looks are almost similar to that of Laura aka RD. It seems to me as though they could be related to each other.

What do you think? Here share what he should look like as hair, eyes, build he should be and add other actors you think could portray Rilian. Have fun! and I cant wait to see the rest of your opinions. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Prince Rilian

Postby bkey » Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm

My top choice, and the only actor that comes to mind is Daniel Bruhl, who was recently seen in Quentin Tarantino's latest film.

In my opinion the most important quality to look for in someone to play Rilian is the ability to act, to be able to realistically and authentically carry out the emotional scenes. I want to be able to feel his pain when he sees his mother die, to be tempted by the Lady of the Green Kirtle with him, and to know what he's going through as he finally escapes her grasp.

Bruhl is someone who I think can do this. While perhaps not very well known in American cinema, he is an acclaimed actor and has been nominated for, and won, several acting awards in Europe.

Of course, the other most important thing is that the actor look and sound close to Caspian/RD. I would put money down that an American won't be cast. Most likely the actor chosen will be British or of Spanish decent. Bruhl is from Spain, but speaks English perfectly, and he would keep the Spanish accent that has become commonplace for the Telmarines in this movie (most likely making it sound much more realistic than Barnes).

I also think he looks similar enough to Ben Barnes that there wouldn't be any confusion that he is his son.

bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 15, 2010 10:53 pm

wow bkey you most and absolutely right on your choice. He looks as if he could very easily pull off Rilian. just by looking at him he sort of looks like Ben's brother Jack.

The only thing I might disaree on and it is very little is now that 20th Century Fox has taken over Narnia there will be auditions coming from Americans as well. I find it to be fair if Americans can every now and then get credited for stuff like this too.

But yes interesting choice pulling up Daniel. I just became a fan. :ymapplause:
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Apr 16, 2010 12:51 am

I believe Americans have been in previous audition processes. For instance, we had a member who was auditioning in L.A. for Caspian, and he was American.
Even Ben flew to L.A. to do his audition, and it seems unlikely that they would not be looking at other Americans too.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby icarus » Apr 17, 2010 7:09 am

Watching Clash of the Titans the other week, my mind started wandering off onto various Narnia related issues - one was that the winged horses in it looked pretty good with regard to MN in however many years time, and another was the casting of Rillian:

Hans Matheson (also in the recent Sherlock Holmes movie) was playing one of the soldiers accompanying Perseus on his quest, and looked more or less the sort of look i would of imagined for Rillian. Though he is by no means my number 1 choice, he's just the most recent thought (not entirely sure, i would have a number 1 choice for this role, as i think there are quite a few people who, given the right look, could do justice to the role)

Hans Matheson.jpg
Hans Matheson.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 20872 times

Looking at the suggestions so far as well, i think we are all pretty much on the same page as far as how we think Rillian should look, and not just in the sense that he should look enough like Ben Barnes to pass as his son (whilst still looking different enough to make him his own character).

Rillian for me should look older than Ben Barnes does at present, with the bedraggled hair and rough beard of a man who has been held captive for however many long years. But he should still at the same time have the soft features and eyes of a much younger man - eyes that gives the impression of a lost childhood and innocence. Overall it should be quite a sad, almost emo-ish look, with the pale complexion of a man who has spent the majoirty of his adult life underground. A look that evokes sympathy and sadness, rather than a look that evokes "heroic action king" as it does with Caspian.

I'd have no real problem with the look of any of the suggestions so far in that regard.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 17, 2010 9:37 am

I think that Rafi Gavron should play Rillian! he looks a lot like Ben Barnes!
here's a picture of him as Farid in the movie "Inkheart"
http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/0/n/S/inkheartpic12.jpg
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby NolanFilm » Apr 17, 2010 9:43 am

These are some good suggestions. I'm sure any one of these actors could pull this role off just fine... But for some reason I think the only actor who could make this role super memorable and amazing is Cillian Murphy
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0614165/)

Now, first off, I know he doesn't have a distinct resemblance to Ben Barnes (perhaps a little bit to Laura Brent), but that could actually work! Think about it. When Eustace sees Rillian in The Silver Chair, he doesn't recognize him as Caspian's son. So I think trying to find an actor that looks JUST like Ben Barnes isn't the best decision. Plus, I think Cillian Murphy's appearance totally conveys Rillian's Character. This leads me to my next point...

Secondly, I think Cillian Murphy can perfectly capture every aspect of Rillian. He has to be kind and hospitable, yet also be threatening. He has to be mysterious, capricious, and maybe even disturbing. Then, after the enchantment is taken off him, he has to be caring, noble, and trustworthy. It's a big change in character, and I don't know too many actors who can successfully pull it off. I think Cillian Murphy can. Wow, this sounds like an ad campaign, haha. But seriously, I am 100% for this guy. :)

Oh, one last thing, their names are almost the same! Cillian and Rillian. Wow! It's destiny. Haha. :p
NolanFilm
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby GlimGlum » Apr 17, 2010 10:11 am

On the old forum we had a thread called Rilian: The Poll. The results are below.
Link: http://209.210.60.109/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19881&KW=rilian&PN=1

Poll Choice, Votes, Poll Statistics
Jim Sturgess, 6, [5.17%]
Hugh Dancy, 7, [6.03%]
Charlie Cox, 5, [4.31%]
Orlando Bloom, 16, [13.79%]
Jason Done, 4, [3.45%]
Jared Leto, 13, [11.21%]
Harry Lloyd, 39, [33.62%]
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, 6, [5.17%]
Henry Cavill, 4, [3.45%]
Other, 16, [13.79%]

The one getting by far the most votes out of the 116 cast was Harry Lloyd.

This is what I wrote at the time:
GlimGlum wrote:I settled on Harry Lloyd. He has a princely enough look but also I see the not-quite-right "enchanted" side(a compliment in this case) coming through a bit more as well. Haven't seen him act yet but he strikes me as the best Rilian among the lot chosen by our Watchful Administrator. As others have complimented on his acting, that's just an added plus.

Later on I did see some clips of his acting which only solidified my support for him for the role of Rilian. But having said that, some of these newer suggestions look pretty good too. Maybe after we have enough candidates our Watchful Admin (or someone else) will start a new Rilian poll. :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 17, 2010 10:46 am

I like Icrus's and GlimGlum's ideas best. I can see those actors Hans Matheson and Harry Lloyd as Rilian.

It's funny because in the poll I also had Jared Leto in my top choices for Rilian as well, but he's so well known as an actor and the lead vocalist in 30 Seconds to Mars.

As for Rafi Gavron, he looks too young to be in his late 20's to early 30's. I see him more for a Calormen role rather than a Telmarine.

And Cillian Murphy... :-\

Not at all. He looks to plain and does not look as if he's the son of of a star or the king Caspian. I'm not going to be mean here so I'll stop right now.

Rilian needs those dangerous dark features. By far I love Gaspard Ulliel, Daniel Bruhl, Harry Lloyd, and Hans Matheson
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ChristProclamer » Apr 20, 2010 11:39 am

My favorite of the suggested so far is Daniel Bruhl. He looks like a Rilian, and though I've never seen him in anything, he sounds good for the part. I've never been big on Rilian talking like a Telmarine, but that's not really relevant.
I love Rafi Gavron, but I too think he looks more like a Calormene than a Narnian/Telmarine/Star (though his costume might have something to do with that). When I saw Inkheart, I decided I want him for Emeth.
And while I don't want Rilian to end up looking totally different from his parents, resemblance is not a main concern of mine.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 20, 2010 1:46 pm

^^ but Rafi Gavron looks just like Ben Barnes!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 20, 2010 2:42 pm

I think Rafi has a little similar looks along Ben Barnes. I agree the Rafi looks more like an Emeth.

Don't get me wrong LH, I loved the movie Inkheart and though Rafi was good and adorable. But that is just it. He is adorable and feels too young for the role to me.

Update: Okay I just visited Rafi's IMDB and I had no idea he was from England and looking at other pictures I can tell he doesn't look mid eastern as I thought. Although he was born in 1989 I still think he is a bit too young. Maybe he can be more suitable for King Tirian.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 21, 2010 12:33 pm

^^ too young shouldn't matter.....Rafi Gavron was 20 when he played Farid in Inkheart and that was filmed in 2008......so he is older now and by the time they get to filming SC he will be older! and makeup and costumes can do amazing things to make an actor look younger or older!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 21, 2010 1:28 pm

He was born in 1989. That would make him either 20 or 21 by now. Rilian is 30 years old. That is why I suggested to me he would better off play Tirian.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby JillPoleWannabe123 » May 21, 2010 11:44 am

I think Harry Lloyd would be the best. He seems really princely to me. He has that young, noble-looking face, and he also looks sort of related to Ben Barnes. Plus, he seems kind of shiny (lol) so he could have star-blood (or whatever it's called) in him, So far, I think he would be the best Prince Rilian. :)
I Like: Your mischevious smile, your rather weird hair, your perverse mind, our occasional annoying conversations, the funny random noises you make, the burning touch of your fingetips on my skin, how you know most of the things on my mind...
JillPoleWannabe123
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: With Eustace, entering into the beautiful land of Narnia (United States)

Postby DamselJillPole » May 21, 2010 11:57 am

My tops on coming back and looking at these actors are between most definitely Daniel Bruhl and Harry Lloyd. The both match Ben and Laura's looks so well and in my eyes judging by some footage I looked up of them looks like they can pull it off.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next