This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

HarperCollins VDT Movie Tie-Ins & Promotion

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

HarperCollins VDT Movie Tie-Ins & Promotion

Postby icarus » Apr 08, 2010 10:55 am

We've heard a few bits and pieces already about some of the Dawn Treader Movie Tie-In books which are set to be released around the time of the VDT movie, and today i found a few interesting catalogues from Harper Collins Publishing which details most of their upcoming release schedule including quite a few Narnia books. Though there aren't any books of major significance above what we already knew about (though there are bound to be lots more to come) it does include some interesting descriptions for the books, and some very interesting details about some of the marketing campaigns that will be associated with the books. Anyway, here are the links:

Harper Collins Children - Fall 2010
http://www.harpercollinscatalogs.com/harper/Fall2010-Children.pdf

Since the search function on my PDF browser didn't seem to work with this catalogue, i shall tell you the page numbers for each Narnia book, to save you from having to manually flick through every page to find them:

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Read Aloud - Page 67
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Book and CD - Page 68
    The Chronicles of Narnia: 60th Anniversary Edition -Page 69
    The Chronicles of Narnia: Movie Tie-in Edition - Page 146
    The Chronicles of Narnia: Movie Tie-in Box Set (rack) - Page 147
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Movie Tie-in Edition (rack) - Page 148
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Movie Tie-in Edition - Page 149
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Quest for the Lost Lords - Page 150
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Aboard the Dawn Treader - Page 151

Harper Collins Adult - Fall 2010
http://www.harpercollinscatalogs.com/harper/Fall2010-Trade.pdf

These books were both mentioned on the Word on the Street page the other day, but if you would like to find out any more information on them, they can be found on the following pages of the Adults catalogue.

A Year With Aslan: Daily Reflections from... - Page 296
    The CS Lewis Bible - Page 303

There is also a smaller Harper Collins catalogue from the Bologna book fair which has some mocked-up covers for some of the books (just using the only 3 official photos we've had so far, and the general template from the Prince Caspian tie-ins). They also have listed there a Voyage of the Dawn Treader Movie Storybook on page 2, which isnt on the full catalogue above.

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/business-centre/rights/Documents/HarperCollinsChildrensBooksPROPERTIESBologna2010.pdf

Here are some of the details for the book's promotional campaign from the first PDF (This was retyped from the Movie Tie-In Box Set page, which seemed to have the longest list of promotional points associated with it):

Harper Collins Publishing wrote:1.National publicity campaign jointly with Fox and Walden Media.
2.National trade online advertising at PW Daily.
3.National consumer online advertising promoting "Read It Before You See It" campaign.
4.Cast videos for accounts.
5.Complete printed CS Lewis brochure.
6.Mobile Campaign featuring READIT text campaign, movie trailer, cast interviews, games and sweepstakes.
7.Update Narnia.com with The Voyage of the Dawn Treader "Read It Before You See It" campaign, downloadable activities, game and widget'
8.Custom AuthorTracker campaign.
9.Cross promotion with official movie site and Facebook fan pages.
10.Lead promotional placement on Harpercollinschildrens.com.
11.The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Teacher's Edition for Teachers' Night.
12.ALA Bookmark featuring classic cover art.
13.Featured at Harper Collins booth at TLA, IRA, ALA and NCTE

Some of the official descriptions provided for each book are quite interesting too, especially the "I Can Read Books" (i think those descriptions can also be found on the Amazon pages). Given that the I Can Read books are based exclusively on the movie, you wonder whether the synopsis' are based on the movie too. The referral to "Master Rhince" as being the First Mate makes me think they aren't based on the movie (as it seems likely Rhince won't be the first mate in the movie), but then the somewhat odd way they refer to Reepicheep as "Sir Reepicheep" makes me wonder whether they might have had some input from the movie side of things (all that talk of Reepicheep being recast as older, and akin to a Brigadier or Field Marshall, would fit in with him now being a "Sir Reepicheep" perhaps.). I guess at the very least we can take comfort from the fact that its called "Quest for the Seven Lords" and not "Quest for the Seven Swords" ;)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: HarperCollins VDT Movie Tie-Ins

Postby Griffle » Apr 09, 2010 3:08 am

Great, now I know what to buy. ;)

The 60th Anniversary Edition set and the kiddie books are mine! :D
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 09, 2010 6:48 am

12.ALA Bookmark featuring classic cover art.
ALA is American Library Association? And does this mean that the bookmark will show up at local libraries?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby wisewoman » Apr 09, 2010 7:02 am

That would be cool. I collect bookmarks (and already have a few Narnian ones) :D
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 10, 2010 12:07 am

I cannot wait for the VDT tie-ins. omp I'm going to buy everything VDT. So cannot wait. im now clearing some space for my future collections. :D
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Reepi » Apr 16, 2010 10:01 am

Now if they only printed the books in the original publishing order instead of their bogus chronological one and used Lewis revised texts, the 60th anniversary edition would be the best one to date, considering 800 pages means it isn't ridiculously huge and contains a full color map (hopefully Pauline Baynes' one, even though it is on the cover of some editions it is cut off on all edges). The chance is slim, but I do hope for the timeline they use Lewis' original one instead of their "edited" one.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wisewoman » Apr 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Ditto that about publication order, Reepi! I have two copies of the big HarperCollins Narnia omnibus and it bugs me that the books are arranged in chronological order. I'm just a little too attached to my childhood memories of the series.
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby Reepi » Apr 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Maybe someone should start a petition so that harpercollins finally might listen to the fans.
No doubt this edition will be the best so far, but why pay an already overpriced 100$ for it if it still has some obvious and easily fixable flaws like that.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 19, 2010 11:57 am

I think they should publish them both ways, thats the only way they're going to make all the fans happy.

I'm very excited about these tie-ins. It means we're getting closer to 12/10/10 :D
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby icarus » Apr 26, 2010 11:49 am

icarus wrote:Here are some of the details for the book's promotional campaign:
Harper Collins Publishing wrote:13.Featured at Harper Collins booth at TLA, IRA, ALA and NCTE

Seems the last on that list of promotional points is the first to get underway - The International Reading Association (IRA) convention began yesterday and runs till Wednesday. Walden.com has some additional information on the HarperCollins' presence there:

Walden.com wrote:
"5 Must-Sees at the IRA Convention"

1. The Goody Bag. This year, Walden has placed an exclusive RAMONA & BEEZUS and THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER bookmark in each goody bag. Be sure check out the bookmark for information on Walden’s Ramona & Beezus School Supply Sweepstakes.

4. HarperCollins Booth. The HarperCollins booth will be handing out exclusive Ramona & Beezus and Voyage of the Dawn Treader materials. Be sure to visit their booth to get these special teaching tools.

With any luck, we might be able to get a peak at some of those Dawn Treader related materials if people who attended the event upload photos to the internet. That's if any of it is worth seeing that is.

http://www.walden.com/blogpost/5_must-s ... onvention/

Walden themselves have also being doing their bit promoting the books, and other book-to-movie properties they are developing in an appearance at the LA Fesitval of Books, once again handing out the free bookmarks and such.

Walden.com wrote:Our very popular face painting booth had crowds lined up all weekend to get a glimpse of our new projects, a special Ramona & Beezus and Voyage of the Dawn Treader bookmark and a free face paint

http://www.walden.com/blogpost/fans_mee ... _of_books/

You should just about be able to glimpse a Dawn Treader Logo display board in a few of their Flickr photos of the event:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waldenmedi ... 944609128/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waldenmedi ... 944609128/
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: HarperCollins VDT Movie Tie-Ins & Promotion

Postby icarus » Jun 08, 2010 11:31 am

HarperCollins have updated the Narnia page on their HarperCollinsChildren website with new Dawn Treader specific content:

http://harpercollinschildrens.com/featu ... sofnarnia/

They have the launch of the latest "Read it Before You See It" Campaign for VDT, a new sweepstake competition to win copies of the book, an "Aslan's Anagram" game (which may or may not be new but i dont recall seeing it on the old Prince Caspian themed page) and also a link to a page which will eventually contain the trailer - i almost had a small heart attack when i saw that since its on a small image box in the corner which says "WATCH THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER MOVIE TRAILER!" on it, but much to my massive disappointment when you click on it all the videos say "Coming Soon" (except for the old Prince Caspian trailers at the bottom) Grrrrr. Lol.

EDIT: There is also a new "Voyage of the Dawn Treader Event Kit" under the Extras Tab, but sadly it doesnt contain any directly movie-related content.

EDIT 2:HarperCollins have also updated the DiscoverNarnia.co.uk website with some more up-to-date content, linking in with the "Read it Before You See It" campaign for Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

http://www.discovernarnia.co.uk/index.html
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Jul 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Looking at the various Harper Collins release schedules, there seems to be a few notable differences in the books being released in different countries, most significantly that the Movie Storybook does not seem to be on the radar for a US release in any of the sources i've looked at. Given that it's bound to be a very "spoilerific" read, i can imagine there might be a fair few people disappointed by that. Also, no sign of a Movie Companion book on any of the schedules yet. Should we be worried?

HARPERCOLLINS USA, UK, AUS RELEASE SCHEDULE, 2010:

Voyage of the Dawn Treader Editions:
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Movie Tie-in Edition
By C.S. Lewis
USA (Oct. 26th), UK (Oct 28th), Aus (Nov. 1st)
HarperCollinsCatalogs
HarperCollins UK
Amazon US
Amazon UK

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Movie Tie-in Edition (rack)
By C.S. Lewis
USA (Oct. 26th)
HarperCollinsCatalogs
Amazon US
Amazon UK

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Read-Aloud Edition
By C.S. Lewis
USA (Oct. 26th), UK (Oct 26th).
Amazon US
Amazon UK

Voyage of the Dawn Treader Unabridged MTI CD
By C.S. Lewis
USA (Oct. 26th), UK (Nov)
HarperCollinsBooks
Amazon US
Amazon UK

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Book and CD
By C.S. Lewis
UK (Nov)
Amazon UK

Chronicles of Narnia Editions:
The Chronicles of Narnia - Movie Tie-in Edition - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
By C.S. Lewis
USA (Oct. 26th), UK (Oct 26th)
HarperCollinsBooks
HarperCollinsCatalogs
Amazon US
Amazon UK

Chronicles of Narnia - Movie Tie-in Box Set - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (rack)
By C.S. Lewis
HarperCollinsBooks
HarperCollinsCatalogs
HarperCollinsChildren
Amazon US
Amazon UK

The Chronicles of Narnia 60th Anniversary Edition
By C.S. Lewis
USA (Oct 26th), UK (Oct 26th)
HarperCollinsCatalogs
Amazon US
Amazon UK

Other Movie Books
Voyage of the Dawn Treader Movie Storybook
USA (N/A), UK (Oct 28th), Aus (Nov 1st)
HarperCollins UK
Amazon UK

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Aboard the Dawn Treader ("I Can Read", Book 2)
By Jennifer Frantz
HarperCollinsBooks
HarperCollinsChildren
HarperCollinsCatalogs

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Quest for the Lost Lords ("I Can Read", Book 2)
By Jennifer Frantz
USA (Oct. 26th), UK (Oct. 26th)
HarperCollinsBooks
HarperCollinsChildren
HarperCollinsCatalogs

CS Lewis Books
C.S. Lewis Bible, The
By C.S. Lewis
USA (Oct. 26th)
HarperCollinsBooks

A Year with Aslan: Daily Reflections from The Chronicles of Narnia
By C.S. Lewis
USA (Oct 5th) UK (Oct 28th) Aus (Nov 1st)
HarperCollinsBooks
HarperCollins UK

Boxen: Childhood Chronicles Before Narnia
C.S. Lewis and W.H. Lewis
UK (Mar 4th), Aus (Jun 10th)
HarperCollins UK
HarperCollins AU

Yours, Jack: The Inspirational Letters of C. S. Lewis
Aus (Aug 1st)
HarperCollins AU

Celebration of the Original Editions
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Celebration of the Original Edition
By C.S. Lewis
UK (Sep 30th), Aus (Nov 1st)
HarperCollins UK
Amazon UK

The Horse and His Boy - Celebration of the Original Edition
By C.S. Lewis
UK (Sep 30th)
HarperCollins UK
Amazon UK

The Magician’s Nephew - Celebration of the Original Edition
By C.S. Lewis
UK (Sep 30th)
HarperCollins UK
Amazon UK

icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Jul 09, 2010 9:23 am

icarus wrote:Looking at the various Harper Collins release schedules, there seems to be a few notable differences in the books being released in different countries, most significantly that the Movie Storybook does not seem to be on the radar for a US release in any of the sources i've looked at.

Also, no sign of a Movie Companion book on any of the schedules yet. Should we be worried?

But the good news is, Americans can easily order this Movie Storybook from Amazon.co.uk. I've shopped there quite often including getting all of my Harry Potter books from the UK. ;))

As far as the Movie Companion goes, I AM worried and I have been for some time. The first two books were SO well done and SO cool and I will be extremely disappointed if there isn't one added for VDT.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby icarus » Aug 08, 2010 6:18 am

I am, for the most part, now pretty much convinced that there won't be a Movie Companion Book for VDT. There is only 2 and a half months till the other movie tie-in books release and there still isn't even a mention of a Movie Companion book. I can understand they would want to keep the contents of any such book a secret, but there is absolutely no reason for them to want to keep the entire existence of such a book a secret. It would make no sense.

As you've seen from the previous posts, Harper Collins do a pretty good job of publishing their brochures and schedules for their upcoming releases quite a while ahead of release, so the fact that the the Movie Companion isn't showing up anywhere, not even going into next year, is a reasonably conclusive verdict.

However, a very small part of me is still clinging to the hope that the only reason the book has not been mentioned thus far, is that it is still being written (i.e. about the current post-production work and such) and that they are not yet willing to commit to a release date yet. Though i can't imagine such a scenario is unusual for a big publisher like HarperCollins, and im sure they have to announce releases for still-in-work books all the time, so that is perhaps merely just wishful thinking on my part.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Aug 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Amazon.com have added a nice book cover for the The Chronicles of Narnia - Movie Tie-in Edition: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Thats the complete Chronicles of Narnia All-In-One Edition, with VDT Movie themed cover. Even if its not the final printed artwork, i have to say it looks pretty nice (its also featured on most of the HarperCollins websites - see link below, or the post with lots of links two or three above this one).

51rcbwuDbQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Narnia-Movie-Voyage-Treader/dp/0061969052/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278627394&sr=1-1

http://www.harpercollinscatalogs.com/harper/507_1733_333033333432.htm

Note that there is another slightly different variation on the tag line at the top of the book. This time its "Return to Hope, Return to Adventure, Return to Narnia".

EDIT: Two More Potential Covers. These look slightly more like temporary designs to me, but the second one is pretty cool nonetheless. The first is for the The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Movie Tie-in Edition (rack) - which is basically the rack version of VDT Book only, with a Movie themed cover.

1.jpg

http://www.harpercollinscatalogs.com/ha ... 333435.htm

And the one below is for the non-rack version of the VDT Book only, again with a Movie themed cover.

2.jpg

http://www.harpercollinscatalogs.com/ha ... 333436.htm

Both covers are on HarperCollins websites, so they are obviously reasonably legit, but they do look a little photoshoppy to me, especially in comparison to the first cover on Amazon, which looked very smart and professional.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Aug 13, 2010 1:09 pm

So three more new book covers popping up in the news today! "Quest for the Lost Lords", "Aboard the Dawn Treader" and the Movie Tie-In Box Set! :D

http://www.narniaweb.com/2010/08/more-t ... cover-art/

Plus also showing up on the HarperCollins Australia website, a cover for the Movie Storybook :) Note how although its the same montage as usual, the image of Lucy is different ;)

9780007366224.jpg

See HarperCollins Australia and click here for the full size image.

Plus also on Amazon Germany - two books which seem to be new, though oddly familiar, so i am wondering if someone has mentioned it already, or if there was a similar thing for Prince Caspian. Also they are technically not HarperCollins, but rather from Ueberreuter, the German publisher of Narnia books. Anyway, firstly there is a "Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Photos from Narnia" book, which im guessing is exactly just that, a book of photos. And secondly there is a "Book of the Film" which may or may not be the same as the Movie Storybook.

Also, you may have seen me mention this during the discussion of a recent "poster" which had a terrible half-finished Dawn Treader picture on it, but the French Publishers of the Narnia books, Gallimard, have added banners featuring that image to the covers of their books to promote the coming release of the movie. The same book cover also currently appears in the promo window of the official Narnia France website
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next