This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnia vs Harry Potter a fresh start

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Narnia vs Harry Potter a fresh start

Postby americangirlemmie » Sep 09, 2009 6:31 pm

I thought that we should start HP vs Narnia up again. It was becoming quite interesting......
Co-founder - NW for HP & The Missing Club
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Narnia vs Harry Potter a fresh start

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 13, 2009 1:34 am

Since we are on narniaweb. Narnia will most likley be preferred by most people here.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby americangirlemmie » Sep 13, 2009 12:30 pm

Ya, probably.
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Yes.
I've seen some of the HP movies, but read none of the books.
I guess I've liked Narnia more because the magic is more wholesome than HP.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Sep 14, 2009 5:23 pm

Hmmm! I never noticed this thread before :-\ . For me there is no problem. I love Narnia, Middle Earth and Potter-verse all equally :D . As far as I'm concerned they are all the best Fantasy series written in the last century or so. Lewis and Tolkien are the standard by which I measure other Fantasy by, and Potter is the only recent series that I think has reached that level. Though there are some other great series out there that deserve Honourable Mention.

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby americangirlemmie » Sep 15, 2009 6:28 pm

I had started this tread in the old Narniaweb to compare Narnia and HP.
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslans Country » Sep 16, 2009 12:45 am

Gandalfs Beard, me too. Well, LOTR comes a bit below Narnia and HP for me, (just because I haven't read it recently) but I don't really like comparing them in terms of which is better..
It's like when people compare HP and Twilight, I get annoyed :-o
These books are all so different, so in my view they can't be compared.

I've only just joined the forum, so could someone please inform me as to what the discussion was about on the old forum? Thanks :)
I'd love to discuss.
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby americangirlemmie » Sep 17, 2009 11:33 am

It was mostly comparing the characters and magical animals (mostly just comparing the different worlds)
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 17, 2009 8:44 pm

I haven't read Harry Potter, I just watched the first movie a long time ago, so I can't really add anything for now. But it'll be interesting reading this.
I have to say the first movie didn't really grab me, but I won't judge it yet. As soon as I get through my current stack of books, I'll read HP cause I'm curious.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby americangirlemmie » Sep 18, 2009 10:33 am

The books are really good. Some of them are kinda violent thought. The movies aren't the best. They don't go with the book to well.
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslans Country » Sep 18, 2009 7:51 pm

The books are awesome. The movies are, well, movies. They can't possibly live up to the books but they work as adaptions.

americangirlemmie wrote:It was mostly comparing the characters and magical animals (mostly just comparing the different worlds)

Okay cool :)

...I just spent about five minutes trying to think up something to say but my mind is blank :p
I look forward to joining in discussions though.
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Sep 19, 2009 12:46 am

Ah, I get you Americangirlemmie :) . Rowling grew up with Narnia, and is a big Lewis fan. so it's not surprising that there are some common points of reference (probably why Aslans Country and I both like Potter so much). For instance, the Potter series references "Deep Magic" in the Magical Protection gained by Harry when his mother sacrifices herself for him. This is a clear connection to Aslan's sacrifice for Edmund and Narnia.

And really, if you think about it, the Potter series isn't really any more violent than Narnia. Both series present fighting in defense of family and friends as honourable. And while many beloved characters are killed in the Potter series, technically speaking, almost all of our favourite characters are dead at the end of The Last Battle ;) .

GB (%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby americangirlemmie » Sep 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Yes, that is exactly what i was saying Gandalfs Beard. I have to Agree with your piont on comparing the violence in the two series. I try to make that point to so many people when they criticize the books (HP) because of the violence in Movies or some of the reviews.
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslans Country » Sep 20, 2009 3:21 am

Gandalfs Beard wrote:For instance, the Potter series references "Deep Magic" in the Magical Protection gained by Harry when his mother sacrifices herself for him. This is a clear connection to Aslan's sacrifice for Edmund and Narnia.

Good point, I never really made that connection before. The way "deep" magic is portrayed in both HP and Narnia - not through reciting spells, but through a sacrifice, is one of the things I like so much about these books. I like what JK Rowling said about the sacrifices of Harry's mother and later on Harry, that it's not a specific formula, there's no equation that sacrifice = protection. It clearly separates this type of magic from the other magic used in HP from a wand. Although Narnia doesn't have as much of a proper system for 'regular' magic, it is also clear that the deep magic is a separate thing.
Avie by flambeau.

Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby americangirlemmie » Sep 20, 2009 7:26 am

I agree with both of you on that point. Sorry, but I forgot to tell you this Topic also can discuses the similarities in the characters in both series. One of the post on the old thread was That the relationship between Shasta and Arivis is like the relationship between Ron and Hermionee. Oh, ya on this thread if you have a favorite HP or Narnia character you can sign your post with that name. (It makes it easier when people are referring to you because then they have a better chance of remembering you by they name you use.) You don't have to though.
Lavender Brown
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Sep 21, 2009 12:50 am

That's a great point regarding Shasta/Ron and Aravis/Hermione AGE.

I also thought Rowling's depiction of centaurs was very similar to Lewis's. They both portray centaurs as Stargazers and diviners of future (and current) events.

GB (%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Next