This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Cooking/Cake Decorating

Postby Djaq » Apr 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Ali wrote:aah yes, much better. Very tasty-sounding actually *yum* :p

Good! :D :P I'm glad you approve.

IlF wrote:is this the hamburger helper, meal you are talking about http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=e ... a=N&tab=wi

if so it looks gross.

That's not the kind that I'm talking about. Mine is made from scratch and isn't like that. I don't like that kind. ;))

Aurora wrote:Does anyone have a really good recipe for soft and chewy cookies? I tried one and it turned out to rather floury. :ymblushing:

What kind of cookies? I have a great recipe for chocolate chip cookies, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. :)

SnowAngel wrote:My Mom got The Cake Book by Tish Boyle from the library recently and I really want to try her Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Coconut Ganache. Mummm, now I'm hungry for some chocolate...and I know right where our stash is. ;) Must. Exercise. Restraint.

That sounds REALLY good! I'll have to look for that book. :) *is curious if the restraint worked or if SnowAngel had some chocolate* :P ;))

SnowAngel wrote:I just finished eating a fresh out of the oven whole wheat roll. Delicious! My Mom made them and she's a great cook. :D You can ask Scarlet, if you think I am baised. :)

Mmm! Fresh rolls are the best!! Would you mind sharing your recipe? My family has a good one, but I'm always interested in trying something new. :)

The cupcakes look soooo good, Shantih!

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:Well, I think “Primavera” simply means vegetables. I have several different recipes that have “Pasta” and “Primavera” in the title. Usually there is some kind of a sauce as well. Sometimes it includes meat.

Ah, okay, thanks! :)
Great job on the Easter cookies! They look really good! My Mom and I made some little "nests" with M&M's in them for eggs and also flower cookies for Easter, but alas, I didn't get any pictures.

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:We made banana muffins, banana bread, applesauce muffins, apple bars, lemon bars, mini cheesecakes, and cookies.

Wow, those all sound great! :D

Re the mayonnaise is evil discussion: I totally agree! I don't know why, but I have an aversion to mayo. Everyone in my family likes to have it on sandwiches and burgers, but I have never liked that. I can only eat it if it's in Chicken Salad. ;))

The macaroons look like they turned out really well, Bella!

Today, I made a Philadelphia Vanilla Cheesecake Mousse (that's what it's called ;)) ). I found the recipe in a Southern Living and thought it looked really neat. I haven't ever made a cheesecake before, but I think that it has turned out pretty well. It's for dessert tomorrow so I'll take some pictures then and post them (if I can remember).

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Aslanisthebest » Apr 10, 2010 7:01 pm

*can't believe all this heresy about mayonnaise*! :P Mayonnaise is seriously my preferred condiment. It's so tasty, especially that specific type. Ohhh, I love it in sandwiches and burgers.
After that it's ketchup, but NEVER in hot dogs. Only outsiders from my city eat anything but mustard in their hot dogs. (Ketchup in hot dogs *is* good, but mustard is first-rate.)

Thanks, Djaq! Oooh, the cheesecake sounds good. I look forward to pictures. :)

Today I tried a recepie I found online which was said to be secret and "the best macaroon recepie out there...really, I mean THE best." Their promises weren't shallow, it was amazing! :D (The only thing I tweaked was the baking time, because I don't know how high heated an oven they were using but 10 minutes was definitely not enough for mine.) They were called Tres Leches Macaroons, and used no sugar, egg or anything. Just condensed milk, coconut shreds, sour cream, vanilla, and whipping cream. I was really impressed and they taste phenominal (and look so much more prettier and appetizing than any other cookie I've made...) (According to the recepie, I dipped them in chocolate)
Here is a picture. (sorry for the bad quality)
Additionally, my sister made Kolacky (which is I think from an Eastern European country. I *think* Hungary, but I don't know for certain.) it's basically a cream-cheese dough with strawberry/blackberry jam/filling in the middle and then folded with two ends meeting. Very tasty! :)

Yes, I've eaten too much confectionary for one day. ;)) Apart from confectionaries, my mom made cut and spiced okra and unleavened flat bread. Yum! Just a dollop of unflavoured yougurt to balance the taste and it's pure bliss for okra lovers.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Djaq » Apr 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Bella wrote:After that it's ketchup, but NEVER in hot dogs. Only outsiders from my city eat anything but mustard in their hot dogs. (Ketchup in hot dogs *is* good, but mustard is first-rate.)

Then I obviously don't live in your city. :P If I ever eat a hot dog, I use ketchup on it. ;))

Bella wrote:Oooh, the cheesecake sounds good. I look forward to pictures. :)

It was really good! Everyone loved it so I was really happy about it!
Here's a picture.

And I can post a recipe if anyone is interested. :)

Great job on the macaroons! They look excellent!

I've been reading through some of our cookbooks and have found a lot of recipes that I want to try. :) If I do try them, I'll post about them here.

What has everyone been eating lately? What do y'all plan to eat? And, another random question, do you guys plan menus (weekly or otherwise)? We do occasionally but haven't been lately. I think I need to start again. ;))

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Apr 14, 2010 12:53 pm

My mom bought three hours of unsalted butter yesterday (accidentally) so I'll hopefully be baking some stuff this week :p . I don't like unsalted butter on bread :|
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Shadowlander » Apr 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Aslandisthebest wrote:*can't believe all this heresy about mayonnaise*! Mayonnaise is seriously my preferred condiment. It's so tasty, especially that specific type. Ohhh, I love it in sandwiches and burgers.

You can eat it if you want but that is some nasty, repulsive stuff right there. Blech! :ymsick:

Aslanisthebest wrote:After that it's ketchup, but NEVER in hot dogs. Only outsiders from my city eat anything but mustard in their hot dogs. (Ketchup in hot dogs *is* good, but mustard is first-rate.)

I guess this depends on where one lives. Like barbecue hot dogs tend to vary from region to region. My family is originally from NY and so ketchup on a hot dog is akin to sacrilege. Down here in NC they usually put slaw on their hot dogs, which isn't bad (provided it's the red slaw with no mayo in it ;)) ). And of course there's the immortal....*drum roll* Chili Cheese Dog, which requires no condiments on it whatsoever. :D I personally prefer a ketchup-free hot dog, but then again I love sauerkraut and mustard on mine and most people will howl in protest at the thought of putting sauerkraut on anything. 8-}

Hot dogs are my weakness...my kryptonite.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Apr 14, 2010 2:16 pm

Shadowlander wrote:You can eat it if you want but that is some nasty, repulsive stuff right there. Blech! :ymsick:

Really?! You don't like it?! I LOVE mayo! Why don't you like it? Have you tried vegenaise? One time my friend and I had a contest of sorts to see who could eat the most mayonaise ;)) . It was a while ago. Together we ate almost a whole jar :p .
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Shadowlander » Apr 14, 2010 5:24 pm

GtG wrote:Really?! You don't like it?! I LOVE mayo! Why don't you like it? Have you tried vegenaise?

*wears a look of total horror*

GtG wrote:One time my friend and I had a contest of sorts to see who could eat the most mayonaise.

*covers his eyes*

GtG wrote:Together we ate almost a whole jar .

I almost passed out reading that...power-eating a jar of mayonaisse! Oh the imagery, with little curdled white goo all over your lips and those overeager eyes signaling the return of the tablespoon to the jar...Oh Heaven help me!

*curls into a fetal position and sobs uncontrollably*
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm

^ =)) I'm ROTFLOL right now...literally. :p :)) How can you not like it so much? It's delicious! I love sour cream too. Please tell me you like that! I eat that out of the jar too sometimes :p .
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aslanisthebest » Apr 14, 2010 7:54 pm

*gasps!* Didn't know you felt so strongly about disliking mayonnaise. *quickly hands Shadowlander a hot dog to make him feel better* ;)

Djaq, well, I guess ketchup's all right. It does taste good when one's having a hot dog plain. :) (Or a thin streak of it by some mustard on a hot dog. Mmm, that's good.)
That's one beautiful cheesecake! Pleasing to the eye, and from what I take, to the taste as well. =]

Shadowlander wrote:I guess this depends on where one lives. Like barbecue hot dogs tend to vary from region to region. My family is originally from NY and so ketchup on a hot dog is akin to sacrilege. Down here in NC they usually put slaw on their hot dogs, which isn't bad (provided it's the red slaw with no mayo in it ). And of course there's the immortal....*drum roll* Chili Cheese Dog, which requires no condiments on it whatsoever. I personally prefer a ketchup-free hot dog, but then again I love sauerkraut and mustard on mine and most people will howl in protest at the thought of putting sauerkraut on anything.

Hot dogs are my weakness...my kryptonite.

Ah, well, that's true. LOL, is it really considered so in NY? Ketchup on a hot dog here is pretty giggled at if someone at a hot dog place askes for it, but gradually the majority of restraunts just pair ketchup and hot dogs together all the time except for some loyal ones. Slaw on a hot dog? There's something I've never heard of! ;)) That'd be interesting to try.
Ooooh! Chili Cheese Dogs. *grabs one of those drool towels* Eeeew, sauerkraut. :P My first experience with it was not pretty (the aroma was putrid) but if I had a better one, I might give it another chance.
Haha, my city actually quite specializes in hot dogs, in a way. One place serves them real hearty with peppers, pickles, or personal preferences. It's the best! :D
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 15, 2010 1:32 am

Mayo is really gross,

List of my favourite foods

fish
chocolate
cauliflower
cheese
black berries
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Djaq wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:My Mom got The Cake Book by Tish Boyle from the library recently and I really want to try her Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Coconut Ganache. Mummm, now I'm hungry for some chocolate...and I know right where our stash is. ;) Must. Exercise. Restraint.

That sounds REALLY good! I'll have to look for that book. :) *is curious if the restraint worked or if SnowAngel had some chocolate* :P ;))
It's a really neat book. I didn't eat any chocolate then, but I'm eating peanut M&M's right now. :D (They are the chocolate of choice for PC-users - no crumbs or incriminating fingerprints on the mouse. [-( )

Djaq wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:I just finished eating a fresh out of the oven whole wheat roll. Delicious! My Mom made them and she's a great cook. :D You can ask Scarlet, if you think I am baised. :)
Mmm! Fresh rolls are the best!! Would you mind sharing your recipe? My family has a good one, but I'm always interested in trying something new. :)
Sure, I will send it to you in a PM. Me too, I've got good recipe collection started which includes your chocolate chip cookie recipe. :)

Djaq wrote:Today, I made a Philadelphia Vanilla Cheesecake Mousse (that's what it's called ;)) ). I found the recipe in a Southern Living and thought it looked really neat.
Mumm, sounds really good. Looks delicious. Scarlet is the cheesecake baker in our family, she made one for Easter (hazelnut truffle). It was pretty good except for the hazelnuts, maybe I'll drag her on here to share the recipe if anyone's interested.

I made beef spread on Tuesday and blueberry-raspberry sorbet yesterday. The sorbet was really good, but it needed a little shortbread or scones on the side. *plans to steal Scarlet's scone recipe as soon as possible* Or maybe a buttermilk brownie?

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Djaq wrote:What has everyone been eating lately? What do y'all plan to eat? And, another random question, do you guys plan menus (weekly or otherwise)? We do occasionally but haven't been lately. I think I need to start again. ;))

Last night we had subs. Not very exciting. :p Tonight we are having chicken and egg noodles. On Friday, we are having homemade pizza. Yum! We plan our meals by the month. Usually I end up doing all the planning. :p My mom actually did it this month. We were going to do it together but I ended up working on her day off. We try to do our grocery shopping once a month (we used to drive 30 minutes to do our regular shopping and we drive 30 minutes to go to Sam's club) so it helps to know what we need. Of course there are usually a few things we forget or need to get fresh or can't find so we have to get things other times during the month). People are supposed to write down any days they aren't going to be home for dinner on the calender but sometimes they don't do it until after I've planned the meals (sometimes things come up suddenly and I understand that but other times they just forgot 8-| ). So we ended up playing rearrange the schedule throughout the month. :p
johobbit wrote: Great-looking cookies, Pattertwigs Pal ( ... and I do like your signature, too). :)
Thanks!
By the way, when people are talking about vinegar, which kind of vinegar do you mean? The distilled white stuff used for dying Easter Eggs? Cider Vinegar? Baslimic (sp?) something else?
I've had salt and vinegar chips. They weren't bad but I wouldn't spend money on them.
re: hot dogs - the only thing I have on them is ketchup.
Here are some cupcakes I made for Easter. I usually make a bunny cake but my sister wanted something that was easier to divide evenly.

Easter cupcakes1.JPG
Easter cupcakes1.JPG (34.51 KiB) Viewed 9725 times

Easter cupcakes2.JPG
Easter cupcakes2.JPG (55.11 KiB) Viewed 9725 times

Easter cupcakes3.JPG
Easter cupcakes3.JPG (70.1 KiB) Viewed 9725 times
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Glenstorm the Great » May 04, 2010 6:02 pm

We had steak tacos tonight- yum! I love tacos, but we don't have them that often :( ...hispanic people don't have tacos and burritos every day like most people think ;) .

On Sunday we went to a cool ice cream place that had rice krispy ice cream cones. I think I'm going to try and make them... :p .
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby IloveFauns » May 05, 2010 7:00 am

They are awsome easter cup cakes. I might do soem cooking myself this weekend.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » May 06, 2010 7:56 am

Mmm, those cuppycakes look yummy, Pattertwigs Pal. :D Cute wrappers, too.

What might you be cooking this weekend, IlF? Any specific ideas 'up your sleeve'?

When I talk about vinegar as in dipping cucumbers in it, or S&V chips or popcorn (♥), it's the plain white vinegar ... which is also great for cleaning, so I wonder what it does to our insides? ;)) A favourite salad dressing of mine is Balsamic Vinaigrette. I much prefer the vinegar-based dressings now, as opposed to the creamy ones.

We have a family gathering for Mother's Day this Sunday (which also happens to be my birthday), and I'll be making a special meal:

BBQed chicken thighs
Hash-brown potato casserole (potatoes, sour cream, mushroom soup, and lots of cheese)
A few different kinds of cooked veggies
Fresh whole grain rolls (or bread)
Cole slaw
My sister-in-law is bringing an all-time favourite salad, which we call Marinated Salad: it's chocked-full of raw vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes -YUM!) and marinated in Zesty Italian dressing
Condiments: olives, pickles (bread & butter), cherry tomatoes, mini cucs
Grape juice and ginger ale to drink
Then for dessert: raspberry pie (this will be bought) and a mandarin-orange angel food cake dessert-y thing

Hungry, anyone?
;)
johobbit

Postby Destined-To-Reign » May 06, 2010 10:01 am

Yes, Jo! ;)) That sounds delicious! But you have to do all that cooking on/right before your birthday and Mothers Day? :P ;)
Your sister-in-law's salad sounds right up my mom's alley. ;)

Pattertwig, those cupcakes look delicious! Keep me away from them! :-o

GtG, I love tacos too. And burritos even more. ;) They're what I get most frequently. There's this little cafe near us that makes the best Catfish burritos. I could go on eating them for days! :P

*thinks* Aha! I did make chocolate pudding from scratch, just a couple weeks ago. My very first attempt, and it was amazingly simple. We don't buy the boxed mixes, so I'm glad to know that I can make it fairly quickly any time we feel like it from now on. Which may not be a good thing, because it turned out very tasty. ;)
Destined-To-Reign
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext