This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What happened to the Stone Table after PC?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

What happened to the Stone Table after PC?

Postby NarnianQueen10 » Apr 01, 2010 9:06 am

This is a question that never really came up in CoN. After PC, the Stone Table never really re-surfaced, and since it was such an important monument in LWW and PC (as it was were the Narnians were based, in Aslan's How, and of course, where Aslan was sacrificed) I wanted to know what other Narniawebbers thought on the subject. Be as creative and imaginative as you like; it doesn't have to be factual. :)
So there you go! Do what you like with your answer, but of course, stick to the rules. Thank you!

~Queeny! ;;)

Duracell: the power of 10,000 rabbits in one battery
Member of Edmund's Fan Club!
Ramandu's Daughter Club member!
NarnianQueen10
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: What happened to the Stone Table after PC?

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 01, 2010 11:50 am

hmmm.....good question! I've always wondered myself!
well, since VotDT is not set in Narnia, then we can't find any evidence from that book.....
so, let's hop to SC. hmmm. that one doesn't offer any help either! :p

I have no idea! :D :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby daughter of the King » Apr 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Nothing happened to it. The Stone Table has no significant part in any of the other books. It had already served its purpose. I think the Stone Table just sat there in the middle of the How until the end.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 02, 2010 10:59 am

^^ well said! yes, very good point! it had no part in the rest of the story.....well, you said it in the above post! :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Aravis Narnia » Apr 02, 2010 3:40 pm

I honestly think they kept it as a historical and religious (for lack of a better term) monument. I know that in Narnia they do not really have worship services- though they do honor Aslan and give Him praise and thanks often. But I wonder if there would be the equivalent of a pilgrimage to the Stone Table. And if the Narnian inhabitants thought it had magical or mystical powers of some sort- or if they simply went to view it out of curiosity like a western tourist would visit the Pyramids or Parthenon.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby daughter of the King » Apr 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Aravis Narnia wrote:I honestly think they kept it as a historical and religious (for lack of a better term) monument.

I'm not sure keep is the right word to use. I think it simply was there. It certainly had a great deal of significance though.

Aravis Narnia wrote:But I wonder if there would be the equivalent of a pilgrimage to the Stone Table. And if the Narnian inhabitants thought it had magical or mystical powers of some sort- or if they simply went to view it out of curiosity like a western tourist would visit the Pyramids or Parthenon.

A pilgrimage is a fascinating idea. I'm not sure if they would have or not, but it's an interesting theory nonetheless. I don't think it would have been viewed as a curiosity though. The Stone Table was considered the most magical place in all of Narnia. Those who did not fear it would have held it in great respect.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby NarnianQueen10 » Apr 03, 2010 4:41 am

Well, they're all very good ideas. Any one of them could've been possible, but I like the idea of a pilgrimage. It would've been like (for example) the Muslim's pilgrimage to Mecca. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) ;)

~Queeny! ;;)

NarnianQueen10
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Movie Aristotle » Apr 04, 2010 2:00 pm

NarnianQueen10 wrote:Well, they're all very good ideas. Any one of them could've been possible, but I like the idea of a pilgrimage. It would've been like (for example) the Muslim's pilgrimage to Mecca. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) ;)

~Queeny! ;;)

I don't think it is quite like a Muslim's pilgrimage to Mecca... more like a Christian's trip to the Holy Land. Interesting and inspirational, but not essential. You could be a good Narnian and still have never gone to the Stone Table. But as long as it is so close...why not go?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DOECOG » Apr 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Aravis Narnia wrote:I honestly think they kept it as a historical and religious (for lack of a better term) monument.

I agree. Even before it becomes a crucial place in PC, it is already treated with a lot of respect. A mound was built over the table and Lewis mentions somewhere (sorry I couldn't find the exact quote :( ) that Prince Caspian would not use that table because he knew it was to important to use like a normal table. After the events of PC it became even more significant. I imagine they kept it like it was to remind them of what occurred and what they learned.
DOECOG
Daughter Of Eve
Child Of God
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are... 1 John 3:1
DOECOG
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NarnianQueen10 » Apr 05, 2010 11:13 am

Movie Aristole wrote:

I don't think it is quite like a Muslim's pilgrimage to Mecca... more like a Christian's trip to the Holy Land. Interesting and inspirational, but not essential.

Well, I had forgotten about that fact when I posted it. Oh well - thanks for correcting me. :) What I meant was the actual pilgrimage itself, not the compulsory element of having to go there and do it. :D

NarnianQueen10
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy P. » Apr 05, 2010 5:03 pm

I think they would leave it in the How to preserve it. Perhaps Caspian established a special guard to protect the Table, much like how here in America there is an elite guard watching the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Varnafinde » Apr 06, 2010 10:22 am

DOECOG wrote:Even before it becomes a crucial place in PC, it is already treated with a lot of respect. A mound was built over the table and Lewis mentions somewhere (sorry I couldn't find the exact quote :( ) that Prince Caspian would not use that table because he knew it was to important to use like a normal table.

But in the secret and magical chamber at the heart of the How, King Caspian, with Cornelius and the Badger and Nikabrik and Trumpkin, were at council. Thick pillars of ancient workmanship supported the roof. In the centre was the Stone itself - a stone table, split right down the centre, and covered with what had once been writing of some kind: but ages of wind and rain and snow had almost worn them away in old times when the Stone Table had stood on the hilltop, and the Mound had not yet been built above it. They were not using the Table nor sitting round it: it was too magic a thing for any common use. They sat on logs a little way from it, and between them was a rough wooden table, on which stood a rude clay lamp lighting up their pale faces and throwing big shadows on the walls.
(Prince Caspian)

My emphasis.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Yeah right after PC it didn't come as often except in the stories pretty much. I believe it was still there after all the years but not really in the center of the stories because we are at sea in VDT, then in SC it is in the far north and underground, HHB takes place mostly in Tashbaan a desert and Archenland.

It will probably come up again in the films MN and LB. Then again in the film for PC one of Miraz's catapults blocked the entry to the table during the battle. You know the part where Susan's "BRAAACE YOURSELFSSS!" comes in. =))
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 08, 2010 9:40 am

Well there were several other tunnels leading into Aslan's How, DamselJillPole. In the books there were at least two, in the movie there were more than that, so Miraz wasn't able to completely close off access to the How.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Aslan's general » Apr 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Also they could have reopened the entrance after the battle.

But back to the How in the books; I think it likely that they preserved the How as a site of historic and spiritual significance. I like the idea of pilgrimages, and thought that perhaps those who studied white magic, like Doctor Cornelius, might have made a pilgrimage there considering it is the most magical place in Narnia and I would imagine those studying white magic would be drawn to it.
Aslan's general