This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: Selah

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Special Feature: Selah

Postby johobbit » Sep 12, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks goes to 220chrisTian for this SF suggestion.

The trio, Selah, has been around for a decade now. I was first introduced to them when they were guests on the CCM Countdown radio show with Gary Chapman after their first album, "Be Still, My Soul" released, and was impressed with their heartfelt passion for Christ and the hope He brings, plus the strong musical talent that is obviously a deep part of each of their lives.

Before Josh Groban made memorable the song "You Raise Me Up", Selah brought it to light and, in my opinion, rendered one of the most lovely and meaningful covers of that beautiful song.

Has Selah impacted your life through their music in any way? What is your favourite album? Do you miss that Nicole Sponberg is no longer with the group? Discuss any and all things Selah-related here.
johobbit

Re: Special Feature: Selah

Postby narnian1 » Sep 12, 2009 11:13 am

Whoa!
I don't know what to say about myself, I didn't realize she left.
I just thought, "wow! she looks different!" :ymblushing: didn't cross me to think it was a different person, (haven't listened to their most recent music FYI). ;))

edit: I guess I *have* heard atleast one with the new girl :end edit

As for their music, I love alot of it.
the CD with You Raise Me Up is the only one I own, though that song itself I am just this year appreciating it to the highest. I've always liked some others in that CD better, but time has proven this song stronger- I simply love it now.
My favorite is still Oh the Deep Deep Love of Jesus but I think that will change soon.

I love Press On, another amazing song they covered.
I like their cover of His Eye is on the Sparrow- I listen to that one quite a bit, when I am in the mood for it- I take a drive and blast my radio to it, (something I an now doing for You Raise Me Up too).

I just recently began to listen to their Bless This Broken Road and quite enjoy it too.

I used to like their cover on How Great Thou Art,
but that was mostly because I hadn't any other version. While they sing it nice, unless I am mistaken, they don't cover all the verses.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 12, 2009 5:17 pm

Special Feature: Selah!!! My favorite trio! Thank you, mods! :ymapplause: :ymhug:

I first discovered Selah in 2001 or 2002. [I don't remember which year. :ymblushing:] And I attended one of their concerts at a local Christian conference camp summer 2002. It was free! [They took donations.] I bought Press On (2001) at the concert and Hiding Place (2004) last year. But I've listened to dozens of their songs! I have too many favorites to count! =)) The best part to me is that I introduced Selah to a Catholic friend of mine. Now it's his favorite Christian music group! He even bought their collection Timeless! B-)

Do I miss Nicol [no "e"] Sponberg? Yes. I love her voice, the depth of emotion she pours into a song. She's recorded some favorite modern renditions of traditional hymns. I think the best examples of this are "I need Thee every hour" and "When I survey the wondrous cross." I also like her solo "Resurrection." This song, along with "I need thee," and "Press on" got me through a really rough time in 2005. I felt like I needed a spiritual resurrection. :(( This summer, God used "I bless your name" and "You are my hiding place," along with other songs and Bible passages, to teach me to praise Him at all times and that deliverance comes through praise. :D And I listened to most of my Selah playlist the day I had my car accident. I really needed help that day! :ymblushing:

I'm getting used to the new girl. I like "God bless the broken road" and "Faithful one." :)

My favorite CD is probably Press On. And my most favorite songs, not including the ones mentioned earlier, are listed below. I also like Selah's version of "You raise me up." I love how they personalize traditional hymns! Selah's renditions of these songs are almost unforgettable! B-)

All my praise
Before the throne of God above
Be still my soul
Down in the river to pray
Light of the stable
Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus [I first discovered this hymn May 1999, in a church in Boston. And I'm so glad Selah recorded it! :ymapplause:]
Oh draw me Lord
Precious Lord, take my hand -- on a Gaither video! :)
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Wayfaring stranger
Wonderful, merciful Savior

Other songs I love that aren't on Youtube [at least not yet]: "Sweet sweet song of salvation," "Joy" [fav Selah Christmas song!], "Power in the blood," "Nearer my God to thee" [Allan Hall solo]... :)
220chrisTian

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 14, 2009 7:19 pm

I've only heard a few songs by Selah: "Bless the Broken Road" and "You Raise Me Up" are the only two I can think of at the moment. I never heard of them until 2 or less years ago.
But--I have enjoyed the songs I've heard--they are very beautiful indeed. :)
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Sorry, I thought you guys meant this old school song by P.O.D - Selah (1996):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoOKrqivjwQ

Kick down the teeth of the wicked creep underground
Where I stay hid lurk down the alleyways, you be stalking me
Behind back talkers, cowards be mocking me
Try to make me talk, make me confess can't break a brother down
When there's no fear of Death, So you can't stand the sight of me
Next to the conquering Lion, at His right I'll be

[Chorus]
Step up punks, get rushed, you can't touch me
Braced in your word, I say, I have no fear
Step up punks, get rushed, you can't touch me
Sheltered by Your blood, your sweat, your tears

I be all in your face, state my case even if you took me up,
There's another to take my place you waste,
Prisoner to your pride you can never kill me off
I've got too much life on the inside, kill me, beat me, break my bones,
Already gave up my life, you'll never have my soul
Give credit to the on who paid for your crimes
Suffer for His name and I'll die for mine

[Chorus]

(Selah)
Identify your real master, Recognise and obey the sacrifice
[8x]

(Selah)
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby johobbit » Sep 15, 2009 5:34 am

;)) W4J, yes, the Selah group we mean is quite the opposite-end-of-the-pole genre. :p Although, when it comes down to it, at the heart of both is a desire to share Christ with the world ... albeit in very different venues and styles. And oddly enough, living up to my very eclectic music tastes, I enjoy both, depending on my mood.

220, it's great to hear your passion for this talented and Godly group. :)
johobbit

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 15, 2009 9:38 am

I (well, my dad, really) have two of Selah's albums. Hiding Place and Bless the Broken Road. I didn't know there were more...

Bless the Broken Road is probably my least favourite of all their songs. I used to like it, but then I heard it in a context that also made sense, but ruined the meaning for me. I usually skip it, along with Ain't no Grave because I don't particularly care for the style.

Gentle Healer, Essengo, Down by the River to Pray, and All My Tears are my favourites. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 15, 2009 10:32 am

Meltintalle wrote:Bless the Broken Road is probably my least favourite of all their songs. I used to like it, but then I heard it in a context that also made sense, but ruined the meaning for me. I usually skip it, along with Ain't no Grave because I don't particularly care for the style.
"Bless the Broken Road": I'd like to know the different context you're talking about. :-\ And I haven't heard "Ain't no Grave." :ymblushing:

Meltintalle wrote:Gentle Healer, Essengo, Down by the River to Pray, and All My Tears are my favourites. :)
I'm familiar only with the middle two, both of which I love. I think the Congo family connection and Selah's use of their rhythms and language is cool! B-) "Down by the river to pray": some say "Down in" and others "Down to." But on Selah's official website, it's "Down in." ;)

Suggestion: check out my Selah playlist... ;)
220chrisTian

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 15, 2009 11:20 am

They played it at a rather secular wedding. *shrug* I think it's something about the "you are my Northern Star" that bothered me; the idea that the bride/groom took a higher place than the "God who led me to you".

:ymblushing: I copied it off my playlist, but apparently I can't read... you're right, it is "Down in". (I am listening to it right now. :) )

All My Tears
Gentle Healer
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 15, 2009 3:16 pm

Meltintalle: the wedding context you described does sound rather odd, doesn't it? /:) I listened to the two songs you gave and added them to my playlist. ;) I really like "All my tears"! :D
220chrisTian

Postby johobbit » Sep 15, 2009 5:07 pm

"All My Tears" is one of my favourites of Selah's, as well, although I do really enjoy the JARS boys' version, from their Good Monsters album ... ooohh yes! ('Course it helps an awful lot that it's written in a minor key, mmmmm ... :) )

Mel, I can see how you were turned off "God Bless the Broken Road" in that context. /:)

220, even though the new gal in Selah has talent, to be sure, I really love Nicol (without the e ;) ) Sponberg's voice. Rich, full of strength, and passionate! And wow, I hadn't heard "Faithful One" before: it's lovely—so full of the hope and security that is only found in Christ!

And "Hiding Place" simply gives me the goosebumps every time I hear it. I needed to hear that again right now.

I'd like to get to know more of their hymn arrangements. I'm listening now to "Be Still, My Soul". So beautiful!
johobbit

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 16, 2009 8:13 am

"Be Still, My Soul" is beautiful! So stately and majestic. It's combined with a few lines from "What a Friend we Have in Jesus", yes? I love that hymn as well. I wish they'd done more of it.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby johobbit » Sep 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Yes, Mel, that's it: a few lines of "What a Friend we have in Jesus" are sung towards the end.

I brought home Selah's new release "You Deliver Me", and am looking forward to getting to know it. Here's Todd Smith on his blog, musing about the new CD and their solid musical career. He compares "You Deliver Me" to their first CD, "Be Still, My Soul". :) And this is the first full CD with Amy Perry (who took Nicol's place) in the group. It will be interesting to see to what extent their sound has changed.
johobbit

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 16, 2009 2:26 pm

Todd Smith has a nice blog! :) I'm following him, Allan Hall, and Selah on Twitter. Yeah, what a surprise. =)) You Deliver Me: I'm looking forward to hearing "How deep the Father's love," "My Jesus I love thee," and "God be with you." :D

"Be still my soul" is beautiful! It's my favorite version of this song! :ymapplause: I like some of their other mixes, including Part the waters Lord/I need thee every hour, Precious Lord take my hand/Just a closer walk with thee, and In my life/If we never meet again. It's amazing to me how they segue into the 2nd part each time. :)
220chrisTian

Postby johobbit » Sep 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Please note that this Special Feature will be closing on Saturday of this week.
johobbit

Postby narnian1 » Sep 21, 2009 7:19 pm

I will say thank you for this thread as it helped me discover two songs I now love from them.

One of the songs, it just so happens, I already had and didn't even know it ;)) I therefore put it in my ipod and listen to it constantly.

The other song my brother had it on his CD and now I listen to it as well.
Selah, has for a long time been one of my underrated christian singers, with the exception of just a few songs, but now I am beginning to grow on them. (I've always loved Oh the Deep Deep Love of Jesus, since i first heard it some years ago, their others I often overlooked despite thinking they were nice songs).
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Next