This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Cooking/Cake Decorating

Postby Aurora » Mar 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Ooh lovely rice crispies!

Does anyone have a really good recipe for soft and chewy cookies? I tried one and it turned out to rather floury. :ymblushing:
Aurora
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 22, 2010 10:23 am

^what kind of cookies? I have one for soft chocolate chip cookies...and i think i have one for sugar cookies too...
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Djaq wrote:SnowAngel, have you decided what kind of dessert you'll be making for the church dinner? :)
Well, sort of. :P I had pretty much decided on plain vanilla cupcakes and frosting them with green frosting in a big swirly. (A nod to St. Patrick!) But it didn't matter, because I didn't get to make anything since I had cold (for like the fourth time this winter :(( ) and didn’t get to go to church. :(

I really want to bake something, but need to want a couple more days for my siblings to get healthy. My Mom got The Cake Book by Tish Boyle from the library recently and I really want to try her Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Coconut Ganache. Mummm, now I'm hungry for some chocolate...and I know right where our stash is. ;) Must. Exercise. Restraint.

I just finished eating a fresh out of the oven whole wheat roll. Delicious! My Mom made them and she's a great cook. :D You can ask Scarlet, if you think I am baised. :)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Shantih » Mar 25, 2010 8:03 am

I haven't made cookies in quite a while, I used to have a recipe that always came out really chewy and soft but I lost it :-\

I haven't done as much baking lately, I did make some chocolate chip cupcakes but I was pretty unhappy with how they came out (the recipe called for whipped egg whites which made them come out with an almost meringue-like shell). I topped them with chocolate ganache though which was wonderful, I'm toying with the idea of tweaking that recipe to make some truffles :)

I made another batch of red velvets for my friend, I think she's addicted :p

Used a slightly different recipe this time, they came out very nice but could perhaps stand to be a bit denser.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
Shantih
Moderator Emeritus

Postby kittengirl » Mar 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Is that part of the cake that you sprinkled on top? What ever it is it looks real pretty.

If you're a girl Christian Star Wars fan check this place out! http://thelakehouse.bigforumpro.com/
(Siggy by theprincessspy!)
kittengirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby CSLewisNarnia » Mar 27, 2010 9:37 am

Well, Ello everyone. :D

Hehe, food is a favorite of mine. :P Looking at alot of the pictures here, I think I'll be getting a snack real soon. ;) I've just been venturing into the cooking world and have whipped up a few stuff.

So far, I have made Meatloaf (which I don't think is so fabulous, but my family loves it), this casserole thing (I called it Mac 'n Cheese Leftovers), Chicken Pot Pie, and Boston Cream Pie. May I say that the Bostom Cream Pie was a loverly little dessert. ;;) :ymblushing:

I wonder, has anyone made "gumbo" at all? I searched up a recipe and really want to try make it. Ah, that and a keish (sp?) or quiche as some recipes spell out.. Fancy fancy.

~CSLN
Icon by me. Sister: Aslanisthebest
Every time I think of a quote or witty comment to put here, the quote is not so spectacular and the comment is not so witty.
CSLewisNarnia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Apr 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Shadowlander wrote:*wonders if he should share his family's sacred secret recipe for crepes*
Well if you share it, it won’t be a secret anymore. But I do love to be in on secrets (as long as they are good ones – a secret recipe sounds like it would be a good secret).

Shadowlander wrote:Tonight the wife and I are eating chicken salad sammiches with a side of salt and vinegar potato chips. :D
Wait a minute, I’m confused. Doesn’t chicken salad contain mayo?

IloveFauns wrote:is this the hamburger helper, meal you are talking about http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=e ... a=N&tab=wi

if so it looks gross.
Yes, that is the Hamburger Helper meal we are talking about.

Djaq wrote:We do that with our meat too! It's very helpful for if you need meat for a recipe and have it cooked beforehand.
That is cool.

Djaq wrote:
Pattertwigs Pal wrote:I don't think you sound nosy. I'm trying a new recipe for Pasta Primavera tonight.

Oh, good! :) ;)) I don't think I've heard of that. What is it? :)
Well, I think “Primavera” simply means vegetables. I have several different recipes that have “Pasta” and “Primavera” in the title. Usually there is some kind of a sauce as well. Sometimes it includes meat. This recipe had a sauce made of cornstarch, pepper (it was supposed to be white pepper but I used black pepper. I don’t know what white pepper is), evaporated milk, and Parmesan cheese. The vegetables were carrots, onion (I used dried minced onion because it is easier), broccoli, and green pepper (it was supposed to be red pepper but we were out). It was supposed to have fresh garlic, but I just used minced. Oh and the pasta was spaghetti.

My friend and I made Easter cookies yesterday. See the pictures below. I’m sorry but you can’t eat them unless you are a Spare Oom mod or the Modess of Cereal since they were part of my sacrifice. (You’re in luck, Shadowlander. How long have you been a mod anyway? It’s been pretty recent, right?)
Attachments
Eastercookies.JPG
Eastercookies.JPG (66.07 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
bunnies.JPG
bunnies.JPG (52.44 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Shadowlander » Apr 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:Wait a minute, I’m confused. Doesn’t chicken salad contain mayo?

Yes. Yes it does. I'm also something of a tuna salad junkie too...the trick is to put just enough so that it binds the chicken/tuna together. I run into problems when people start scooping the mayo in with serving spoons. Blech! Plus the scallions and celery mask the mayo taste as well. I'm a weirdo. :p
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Apr 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Shadowlander wrote:Yes. Yes it does. I'm also something of a tuna salad junkie too...the trick is to put just enough so that it binds the chicken/tuna together. I run into problems when people start scooping the mayo in with serving spoons. Blech! Plus the scallions and celery mask the mayo taste as well. I'm a weirdo. :p

Well, I won't deny that you are a weirdo, ;)) but I understand about the chicken/tuna salad and mayo. When I make egg salad or tuna salad, I use just enough Miracle Whip to hold it together. The only way I'll eat mayo or mayo like stuff (Miracle Whip for example).

I forgot to mention in my last post that my mom, sister and I spent last Saturday baking. My mom and I did some baking on Thursday too. My sister had her Senior Piano Recital on Sunday and we were in charge of the refreshments. We made banana muffins, banana bread, applesauce muffins, apple bars, lemon bars, mini cheesecakes, and cookies. My sister used cookie cutters to cut the cookies out, I decorated them and my mom arranged them on the tray. They looked very good. Unfortunately, I didn't get a change to take picture :(( because they were wrapped up and when they were unwrapped I was too busy serving and unwrapping other stuff to get a picture. When I had a minute, they were already half gone. We made butterflies, grand pianos, musical notes, and tulips. I dyed some sugar black for the pianos and the bodies on the butterflies.
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby Shadowlander » Apr 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:Well, I won't deny that you are a weirdo ;))

Heeeeeeeey!!!

Ok, so I'm a weirdo. ;))

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:When I make egg salad or tuna salad, I use just enough Miracle Whip to hold it together. The only way I'll eat mayo or mayo like stuff (Miracle Whip for example).

Amen, sister. Mayonaisse is evil, as I'm fond of pointing out. But it's at times a necessary evil because without it you couldn't have tuna salad sammiches, which are top notch in the sandwich world. Chicken salad is merely adequate to me, as is ham salad. Egg salad is the bomb diggity (if I may be so bold)...my wife and I are going to be loading up on eggs this weekend and hard boiling them, so when it's time for devouring I'm giving serious thought to slamming out some egg salad sandwiches. Maybe even some deviled eggs if we have enough left over...those are good too. :D

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:You’re in luck, Shadowlander. How long have you been a mod anyway? It’s been pretty recent, right?)

Yeah, since yesterday...well (*looks at his watch*) since the day *before* yesterday actually. It's kind of frightening, eh? =))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Apr 03, 2010 6:32 am

Shadowlander wrote:
Pattertwig's Pal wrote:Well, I won't deny that you are a weirdo ;))

Heeeeeeeey!!!

Ok, so I'm a weirdo. ;))
You set yourself up so nicely for that I just couldn't resist. =)) (To be fair I will admit that I do often say "I know I'm weird")

Shadowlander wrote:Egg salad is the bomb diggity (if I may be so bold)...my wife and I are going to be loading up on eggs this weekend and hard boiling them, so when it's time for devouring I'm giving serious thought to slamming out some egg salad sandwiches. Maybe even some deviled eggs if we have enough left over...those are good too. :D
Are you going to dye the eyes too since it is Easter weekend? We are going to be hard boiling eggs this weekend too, and I'm looking forward to egg salad sandwiches. I don't think I've ever had deviled eggs.

Shadowlander wrote:
Pattertwig's Pal wrote:You’re in luck, Shadowlander. How long have you been a mod anyway? It’s been pretty recent, right?)

Yeah, since yesterday...well (*looks at his watch*) since the day *before* yesterday actually. It's kind of frightening, eh? =))
It is kind of frightening. ;)) Now I run the risk of getting a mod mad at me when I joke around with you. :-s
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby johobbit » Apr 05, 2010 7:55 am

*chuckles at all the weird-o talk* ;)) Great-looking cookies, Pattertwigs Pal ( ... and I do like your signature, too). :)

You wanna hear weird? I get a craving, only now and then, mind you, for sliced, tart green olives spread out across a piece of hot toast lathered with sticky, ooey-gooey peanut butter. The contrast between the olives and the pb is glorious.
;;)
johobbit

Postby Gymfan15 » Apr 05, 2010 9:53 am

I have to say that peanut butter and green olives doesn't sound even remotely appealing, but then again neither does hard boiled eggs mashed with vinegar and salt, and that's one of my favorite snacks that I've been craving lately. ;)) I like vinegar mixed with lots of things; shredded or thinly peeled carrots especially.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby johobbit » Apr 05, 2010 10:06 am

Mmm, I love vinegar, Gymmie. Rather than a creamy salad dressing, I'll definitely go for the vinegar/garlic-based mixture (and the more garlic and vinegar, the better). I also am partial to cucumbers dipped/soaked in vinegar. I'm not a big chip eater, but if I have any, salt & vinegar are a big favourite. So,yeah, vinegar fan here too. :D

And I'll have to try the carrots, plus (possibly ;) ) the hard boiled eggs mashed with vinegar and salt.
johobbit

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Apr 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Ooh I love vinegar. I must say peanut butter and olives don't sound very appealing, but I like eating caramel kisses and nacho cheese together so I guess that's a weird combination too :p .
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aslanisthebest » Apr 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Shantih, a few pages ago, you had posted pictures of some strawberry muffins you made- they looked so scrumptious, would it be all right with you if you could share the recipe? :)
Ditto about the salt and vinegar chips, Jo! I could eat two bags of those daily... :ymdaydream:
Patterwigs Pal, the sugar-crystal cookies look really tasty!
CS, out of all the things you've made, the casserole thing is my favourite. ^_^

Well, I tried yet another macaroon recipe. They turned out acceptable, I suppose. I know they taste much better today than they did yesterday when right out of the oven. This wasn't a lousy recepie, but I found a much better one and I can't wait to try it. It involves whipping cream, condensed milk, and sour cream so I suppose that will get the taste that I'm striving for.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext