This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

VDT Extras Casting

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: VDT Extras Casting

Postby icarus » Feb 23, 2010 12:37 pm

I'd agree with all your identifications there bkey. :ymapplause: Also some very intriguing observations about Ross Price being referred to as "Mr Fern" (possibly an in-joke, who knows) and Chris Cruickshanks' character being described as a Blacksmith. :-?

Did anyone also notice that in this picture here, there is someone other than Ryan Ettridge inside the Satyr suit? Though i guess there were two actors credited for the role of Tyrus in PC, so probably shouldn't be too confused about it.

I think all those pictures of the crew really make me feel very happy about the way the Dawn Treader crew turned out. Back when we first got casting announcements for Rhoop, Drinian, and Rhince, i was kind of worried that they had just discarded the whole concept of the Telmarines being of a Mediterranean heritage, but in fact the majority of the crew do fit in very nicely with the Telmarine style established in the last film. Equally though, they have done a really good job of giving each sailor his own distinct visual look, it really gives the crew a very diverse multi-cultural feel. I always imagined the DT crew to be like a rag-tag bunch of pirate-like individuals, drawn from wherever they could find willing men to join their mission, and at first i was kind of of worried that the uniforms would take away from that feel, and that the crew would come across as being bland faceless clones in the background, but the castings more than make up for it, and in many ways i feel the uniform really compliments the look they have gone for. Very pleased all round.

Anyway, lots of new casting announcements on eCaster today. Though i will have to check which ones we already have first, as some are repeats. Annoyingly most of the new ones seem to be unknown roles, but here they are anyway:

Anthony Mita - Unknown Role
Blackbox Management Australia is proud to represent Anthony in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

Adam Houlahan - Unknown Role
Blackbox Management Australia is proud to represent Adam who played a role in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

Sean Dearness - Unknown Role
Blackbox Management Australia is proud to represent Sean who played a role in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

Kane Anderson - Unknown Role
Kane who is represented by Blackbox Management Australia can be seen in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

Paul Vyverberg - Unknown Role
Paul who is represented by Blackbox Management Australia can be seen in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

Nicholas Lingford - Unknown Role
Blackbox Management Australia is proud to represent Nicholas who played a role in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

Rhiannon Smith - Unknown Role
Blackbox Management Australia is proud to represent Rhiannon who played a role in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

Amanda Chamberlain - Unknown Role
Amanda who is represented by Blackbox Management Australia can be seen in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

2009 / extra / Narnia - The Invisible Army

Piripi Neho-Popata - Unknown Role
Piripi who is represented by Blackbox Management Australia can be seen in the exciting new feature film, 'Narnia The Invisible Army', which was filmed in QLD.

ok, so they were all unknowns :( guess we might have to try photo-ID'ing some of them
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Feb 23, 2010 1:26 pm

Well the vast majority of them looked like they fell under the look and appearance this production went for with the Telmarines. So I'd guess they're probably sailors or Lone Island villagers.

However, Adam Houlahan looked SOOOO similar to Gary Sweet, I'd bet he was a stand-in or stunt double for Drinian.

And then a couple of them looked about the same as what they seem to be going for with the Dufflepuds.

Boy, those were really bright ideas huh? :))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby icarus » Mar 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Tony Nixon added a few new photos to his Facebook Fan Page at the weekend (posting as himself, he added them to the fan photos section). As well as having some interesting new photos of the main creatures from the crew (including our as-yet only partially named second minotaur) and Rynelf in his standard, non-armoured uniform (surprisingly he is in the blue top/maroon bottom group, rather than the blue top/blue bottom group, which we had assumed were the top ranks), there is also another good look at Rhince in his very non-crew-like costume, which looks even more like a blacksmith's outfit to me when seen so clearly up close.

Perhaps that detail about Chris Cruickshanks' Dwarf character possibly being a "blacksmith" might mean that Rhince is also a blacksmith amongst the crew after all... or perhaps Rhince's blacksmithing relates back to another really old extra's casting detail:

David Taverner - Metal Worker

A "Metal Worker" character could perhaps be in some sort of scene on the Lone Islands when we are first introduced to Rhince, who is also a Metal Worker/Blacksmith? (im still of the opinion that movie-Rhince does not join the voyage until the Lone Islands, but thats for a different topic)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Mar 06, 2010 5:26 pm

I have a spoiler related update to make to this thread! Well, sort of, ;) LOL.

"The Noldor Blog", which frequently posts news stories relating to the New Zealand based locations for LOTR (with a particular focus on their potential reuse for the Hobbit) posted two entries on Shane Rangi in the past few weeks, both relating to the fact that he was seen at the "Rivendell" location, holding a prop sword, and accompanied by a production crew. Apparently they were doing some scouting for a future project, but a project that wasn't The Hobbit. But that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, apparently he spoke to Shane Rangi, who told him an interesting tidbit about his character in Dawn Treader:

Noldor Blog (Feb 26th, 2010): I can personally confirm that Shane Rangi is back in town, back from Australia where he's just finished filming a project. Unusually, he assured me he actually (gasp!) LIVED through an entire movie! Not like him at all, he usually dies at least once, and often more than once per movie.
http://nznoldor.blogspot.com/2010/02/dr ... tings.html

In other words:

Tavros the Minotaur doesn't die in Voyage of the Dawn Treader! lol. ;)

His previous Narnia roles - General Otmin, Asterius the Minotaur, The Werewolf and the Wild Bear had all died in their respective movies (as did most of his LOTR characters as well)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby AJAiken » Mar 09, 2010 1:03 pm

icarus, that's awesome. :D I am so spoiled I can hardly breathe. ;)

I wouldn't have though that the Dawn Treader would have two blacksmiths, especially when one of those blacksmiths is a dwarf.
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Mar 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Actually having a dwarf be a blacksmith is perfect.

C. S. Lewis in The Magician's Nephew wrote:"Now, dwarfs! Show your smith-craft. Let me see you make two crowns for your King and Queen." ...
Next moment (how those dwarfs loved their work!) the fire was blazing, the bellows were roaring, the gold was melting, the hammers were clinking. ...
Under the clever fingers of the little smiths two crowns took shape - not ugly, heavy things like modern European crowns, but light, delicate, beautifully shaped circles that you could really wear and look nicer by wearing.

:D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby icarus » Mar 13, 2010 11:00 am

The facebook fan page for Steven Rooke (Nausus the Faun) has been updated to include some new Narnia related photos on it (in the Fan Photos section). Though nothing we haven't seen before, it does give us a good look at the two fauns and their costumes.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steven-Rooke/39518580020

Whilst i'm here, and to pad out this post a bit, here are some Stunt Doubles, the second of which we knew about from ages ago, but never really got a mention on this topic, so i figured i might as well get round to it:

Allan Poppleton - Stunt Double for Lord Drinian
Allan Poppleton / stunt double: Drinian

Jonathan Costelloe - Stunt Double for Governor Gumpas
the man doing the dangerous scenes for Gumpas, the Governor of the Lone Islands, is a stunt double with a strong Kiwi accent..... Stunt double Jonathan Costelloe in action on set for Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/narnia-begins-filming-at-the-spit-on-the-gold-coast/story-e6frfmvr-1225760548025

*ADDED*

Marcus Shakesheff- Stunt Double for Edmund
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010) (post-production) (stunt double: Skandar Keynes)

Kyle Gardiner - Stunt Double for King Caspian
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010) (post-production) (stunt double: Ben Barnes) (uncredited)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Mar 20, 2010 4:59 am

Two more people to report on. Am 99% certain the first guy is the body double for Ben Barnes we saw in some of the early set photos (sitting in a boat, floating in a tank, in front of some blue screen)

Tim Gollan - Stand In/Double for King Caspian
His recent credits include a minimalist production of ‘Romeo and Juliet’, ‘Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader’, and a revival of ‘Springs Awakening’ by Frank Wedekind

Brittany Baldwin - Unknown Role
Acting Experience / Feature Films: Narnia Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Also as you probably already saw in the Word On The Street news, Mirko Grillini (The Belligerent Telmarine) also has a new Facebook Fan Page, complete with a few cool new cast photos.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mirko-Gri ... 0312258021
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Mar 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Another fairly interesting extra casting today - a "Boat Person". Something to do with either - the lone islands/slaves/"lost narnians"/gael & rhince/"narnian rowers"/etc - i would imagine.

Lizette Johannes - "Boat Person"
Excited to be cast as a 'Boat Person' Extra in the Awesome Upcoming Feature Film - 'Voyage of the Dawn Treader' (Michael Apted & John Mahaffie. Also managed to put smiles on film crew faces by making sure their bellies were full on set as their 'Craft Runner' - The Invisible Army. Lizette is proudly represented by Williams Talent

2009 / 'Boat Person' - Extra & 2nd Unit - 'Craft Runner' / Narnia 3 'Dawn Treader' / John Mahaffie - Director / Bud Hopes Casting

Plus potentially another "Metal Worker" casting (that's 2 now), which could prove to be telling as far as Rhince goes. Anyway, it does require me to make the assumption that the actor's website got the casting right, even though they got the movie title very wrong. lol.

Frankie Oatway - Metal Worker
I’ve been in a few films in the past including being an extra in Oliver Twist and recently a metal worker in the new Narnia film, Magicians Nephew.

He seems to be a reasonably experienced Australian/British actor, so i would assume its more likely he is mistaken about the movie title, rather than being lying about the movie role.

http://www.solutiononeit.com.au/frankieoatway/movies/
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Mar 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Some more names courtesy of Tamblyn Management. Mostly unknowns at the moment, but i'll look into that...

Chris Prasad - Dawn Treader Sailor
Chris Prasad has been cast as one of the sailors in the new film shooting on the Gold Coast, Invisible Army. Congratulations Chris!

Tony Fasavalu - Dawn Treader Sailor
*Role Title Confirmed by Tony Nixon (Rynelf) Official Facebook Page

Jack Taylor - Unknown Role
Invisible Army booked Jack Taylor, Tony Fasafalu and Chris Prasad.

Mercedes McVeigh - Unknown Role

Guy McPhee - Unknown Role

Sebastian Curtis - Unknown Role
Invisible Army booked Mercedes McVeigh, Guy McPhee and Sebastian Curtis.

Blake Neal - Unknown Role
Invisible Army Film booked Mercedes, Blake Neal and Chris Prasad.

Daniel Axford - Unknown Role

Christopher Denny - Unknown Role
Narnia, Invisible Army booked Daniel Axford and Christopher Denny

http://www.tamblynmodelling.com.au/News.aspx
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Apr 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Two stunt related castings courtesy of IMDB:

Michael M Foster -Gumpas' Money Collector
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Actor: Gumpas' Money Collector)

Michael M Foster's main credit for the movie is "Stunt Performer"

http://farm.imdb.com/name/nm1932878/resume

Scott Brewer (AKA "Ryctor") - Dufflepud 7
He recently appeared as the Dufflepud in the latest Narnia Chronicles - Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader / Dufflepud 7 / Michael Apted

Scott "Ryctor" Brewer's main credit for the movie is "Stunt Performer"

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0108224/resume
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Apr 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Icarus, how is it that you are always the one to find all these little (and big) pieces of information? What's your secret?

Anyway, I'm impressed!
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Apr 09, 2010 11:25 am

I just get very easily bored when having to wait for news. Plus there is nothing quite like the thrill of a good long Narnia hunt on google. lol. ;) That said, its been very slim pickings on the Narnia news front for some weeks now. :( The best i've got to offer in the way of casting news for today is the entirely unhelpful role title of "Narnian" which could just about be applied to any part in the movie... (Ship Crew Member / Lone Islander / Lost Narnian Slave i.e. Gael's Mum etc)

William Naitoko - Narnian
Extra role as a Narnian

Feature film /2009 /Narnian / The Chronicles of Narnia. The Voyage of the dawn treader
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 09, 2010 10:07 pm

I feel you on that icarus!

I just wanted to say to those who were extras on this movie are very very lucky. And Extras Rock!!!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 11, 2010 5:47 pm

icarus wrote:I have a spoiler related update to make to this thread! Well, sort of, ;) LOL.

"The Noldor Blog", which frequently posts news stories relating to the New Zealand based locations for LOTR (with a particular focus on their potential reuse for the Hobbit) posted two entries on Shane Rangi in the past few weeks, both relating to the fact that he was seen at the "Rivendell" location, holding a prop sword, and accompanied by a production crew. Apparently they were doing some scouting for a future project, but a project that wasn't The Hobbit. But that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, apparently he spoke to Shane Rangi, who told him an interesting tidbit about his character in Dawn Treader:

Noldor Blog (Feb 26th, 2010): I can personally confirm that Shane Rangi is back in town, back from Australia where he's just finished filming a project. Unusually, he assured me he actually (gasp!) LIVED through an entire movie! Not like him at all, he usually dies at least once, and often more than once per movie.
http://nznoldor.blogspot.com/2010/02/dr ... tings.html

In other words:

Tavros the Minotaur doesn't die in Voyage of the Dawn Treader! lol. ;)

His previous Narnia roles - General Otmin, Asterius the Minotaur, The Werewolf and the Wild Bear had all died in their respective movies (as did most of his LOTR characters as well)

he doesn't die? wow!!!!!
that's awesome! so maybe he's a hero! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby icarus » Apr 13, 2010 11:21 am

Some updates on Chris Cruickshanks self-titled dwarf character from eCaster:

Chris Cruickshanks - "Cruickshanks" the Dwarf
Chris played the role of Dwarf on Chronicles of Narnia, Voyage of the Dawntreader. Represented by Gilchrist.

I have been acting for 25 years. Most recently i played a 1000 year old Dwarf on Narnia

2009 / 1000 yr old Dwarf / Chronicles of Narnia. Invisible Army / Warner bros

2009 / Slave /Chronicles of Narnia. Invisible Army / Warner Bros

Not quite sure where they are getting the "1000 year old Dwarf" part from. Do Narnian dwarfs live that long? Probably one of those "don't read too much into what they are saying" situations.... Anyway, seems he also doubled as a Slave as well.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext