This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Tearful Moments in Narnia...

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Tearful Moments in Narnia...

Postby GlimGlum » Feb 23, 2010 11:42 pm

GlimGlum wrote:Has there been a moment for you in which tears came while reading a Narnia story?I think the answer may be yes for many. And the situation does not necessarily have to be a sad one either.

For me there is one moment in particular that gets to me almost every time I read it. It takes place near the end of The Silver Chair, my second favorite Narnian tale. The setting is right after Prince Rilian emerges from Underland and the passage from SC I wish to share is:
From Chapter 15 of The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis wrote:"Instantly every head was bared and every knee was bent; a moment later such cheering and shouting, such jumps and reels of joy, such hand-shakings and kissings and embracings of everybody by everybody else broke out that tears came into Jill's eyes. Their quest had been worth all the pains it cost"

Maybe it is partly due to Jill's being my favorite human character and I can just emphasize more strongly with her emotionally. I know there have been other moments but this is the strongest for me.

Perhaps others might wish to share a "Tearful Moment or Moments in Narnia"?

I have been wanting to reprise this topic from the old forum. It is from 1.5 years ago in August, 2008. The scene above from The Silver Chair got me the first 5-6 times but not in recent readings. Lately it has been The Magician's Nephew when Digory goes to give his mother the Silver Apple of Life; if memory serves.

Anybody else have a moment or moments to share? :)

(And yes, I did mean to use the word "empathize" in the original post. Just caught it now after 1.5 years :D)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Re: Tearful Moments in Narnia...

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 24, 2010 10:40 am

Well, there are two real tear jerkers for me. The first is the discourse between Aslan and Digory.

The Magician's Nephew wrote:Up until then, Digory had been looking at the lion's huge front feet, and the huge claws on them. Now in his despair, he looked up at its face, and what he saw there surprised him as much as anything in his whole life. For that great tawny face was bent down near his own, and, wonder of wonders, great shining tears stood in the lions eyes. They were such big bright tears compared with Digory's own, that Digory thought that the lion must really be sorrier about his mother, than he was himself.

"My Son. My son, I know grief is great. Only you and I in this land know that yet. . . "

That is just so beautiful.

Another really moving moment is in the Last Battle, when the good bear is killed, and it utters its dying words of "I don't understand!" It just, to me, shows the futility of the final war, and the sadness that comes from the loss of a good friend.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 24, 2010 2:42 pm

I cry every time I read the part in LB when the dwarves shoot all of the horses in the end of the book!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Liberty, that moment has never made my cry, but it has definitely made me sick to my stomach. It just gives such a horrible sense of betrayal, and it stinks of death.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 24, 2010 3:04 pm

^^ I think it makes me cry because it's so defeating for Tirian and the others who were counting on the horses as back-up for the battle and I always find myself yelling at the dwarves in anger.....yeah, it makes me sick to my stomach too because of their betrayal.
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Miss Rosario » Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:Another really moving moment is in the Last Battle, when the good bear is killed, and it utters its dying words of "I don't understand!" It just, to me, shows the futility of the final war, and the sadness that comes from the loss of a good friend.

Oh, I always tear up at that part. Even though the good bear is mentioned later on in the "new Narnia", it's still very emotional for me every time I read it.

Also, at the end of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I always tear up a little at the part where Aslan tells Edmund and Lucy that they will never come back to Narnia. It always hits me in a certain spot, and I find it a very emotional scene (even though it was closely followed by one of my all-time favorite lines: "I am in your world, too... but there I have another name..." ;)
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Mar 03, 2010 5:15 pm

The line that always makes me tear up or cry is the, "Do you want some milk, pussums?" by the hags in LWW. The very fact that they are taunting Aslan really bothers me, even though Lewis points out that Aslan could easily defend himself.

The one with Digory finally looking up at Aslan's face gets me too.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby greenbird37 » Mar 03, 2010 10:30 pm

I would have to say the sacrifice of Aslan....I was just about in tears! :(
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pyxis » Mar 07, 2010 10:41 am

For me, it's the part where the old Narnia is destroyed. Even though there's the new Narnia, and it's better than the old Narnia, that scene where they look through the door makes me want to cry. Especially when Digory says, "I saw it begin. I did not think I would live to see it die."
http://sixlittlecurlyfries.blogspot.com A collaborative blog written by me and my five friends.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Pyxis
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Mar 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Grr...I need to really go thru my books and reread them, I know there are many parts where I sort of "tear up" (not actually cry though). Ooh, the part where the Bulgy Bear dies in LB--I was actually crying last time I read that O_O. And just in general, LB...when Lucy or Jill or whomever is weeping and someone says it is good for her to weep, or something.
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Aslanisthebest » Mar 07, 2010 5:28 pm

A part that I tear up at is when in TLB, the last few paragraphs describing Narnia slowly coming to it's end. Aslan's Country was there, of course, but the fact that good, sweet Narnia had come to an end after being corrupted always made me rather sad. I also definitely come close to tears when the Bulgy Bear dies.
And the conversation between Shasta/Cor and Aslan in HAHB always makes me tear up at its beauty, along with Aslan ripping of Eustace's dragon skin.
Several parts in LWW and MN, too, have the same effect on me. :)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby TheGeneral » Mar 09, 2010 7:49 am

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:Another really moving moment is in the Last Battle, when the good bear is killed, and it utters its dying words of "I don't understand!" It just, to me, shows the futility of the final war, and the sadness that comes from the loss of a good friend.

I agree with that.
And I'd say another moment close to tearful is when Aslan meets Shasta in the mountain pass.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby polly plummer » Mar 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Gosh I couldn't think of one or even just two so I thought I'd put my most tear inducing scene from each book as I cry reading them all at some point
So here goes in chronological order

MN - Same as above posts - the scene where Digory finally looks in Aslan's eyes and sees him crying too
LWW - Same as above again when Aslan is killed - I also cry when he is ressurected
HHB - When King Lune greets Cor / Shasta and we find out who he is - imagine from King Lune's point of view he thought he'd never see Cor again
PC - When the Pevensies have to go home - and we find out Peter and Susan aren't returning - I don't so much get upset at them not coming back but the suggestion of Lucy having her last time in a future visit
VDT - the same scene as everyone else with Aslan, Lucy, Edmund and Eustace at the worlds end
SC - Caspian's death and resurrection
LB - I actually cry right at the end because everyone's so happy and together and I have to leave and don't get to visit again - unless of course I start reading again from the beginning!
polly plummer
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 17, 2010 6:53 am

I always cry when the old Narnia is distroyed! I sob every time!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 18, 2010 5:36 pm

I always bawl through most of LB. It's just so depressing and sad. At least until the very end. All the destroying of Narnia...I don't know how Tirian and the loyal Narnians would have felt, "finding out" that Aslan wasn't all they thought he was.

I also cry in parts of MN. And at the end of VotDT. So sad.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 19, 2010 1:44 pm

polly plummer wrote:MN - Same as above posts - the scene where Digory finally looks in Aslan's eyes and sees him crying too

oh. my. word. I just reread MN and I read that part ^^ and I cried so hard! I guess it's because I haven't read MN in a while and I just was so sad at that bit..... :(( :)
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Next