This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Queen Swanwhite

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Queen Swanwhite

Postby Varnafinde » Feb 19, 2010 6:00 pm

At the end of VDT it says,
Caspian and his men all came safely back to Ramandu's Island. And the three lords woke from their sleep. Caspian married Ramandu's daughter and they all reached Narnia in the end, and she became a great queen and the mother and grandmother of great kings.

This seems to confirm that Caspian married RD before the sailed back to Narnia.
Another case where the timeline doesn't fit with the facts of the books, then.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Interesting Varnafinde, then perhaps we should rely more on the books than the timeline, and assume that Jewel was correct.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 23, 2010 5:06 pm

I agree with you 100% wolfloversk. I have never trusted the timeline, because it was written by somebody other than Jack Lewis, therefore, it does not come from the mind of C.S. Lewis. Also, it was done several years after his death, so that it couldn't even be corroborated with his account of the story.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby kaleidoscopeyes » Mar 08, 2010 12:42 pm

I think a good explanation for all the discrepancies found in the Chronicles, is that perhaps these stories were all oral histories in Narnia before they were eventually put into written form (remember in TSC when Jill and Eustace listened to someone tell 'The Horse and His Boy'?) and therefore are prone to the mistakes made when a story is repeated, and repeated, from story teller, to listener, to the next, etc. (ever played 'telephone'?)

I think that Lewis was scholar enough to never forget that his own Christian bible was this sort of text...(and therefore full of contradictions and mistakes)...

And BTW, if you read the CoN in the original order, these discrepancies are much less obvious...

*I would just like to note, that my dearest Coracle (who I love) is making a statement of BELIEF in the following post, not FACT--which is just fine by me, but should be recognized as such.

Hugs dear Coracle--hugs to you :)
kaleidoscopeyes
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Mar 09, 2010 3:08 am

Kaleidoscopeyes, that sounds like a very authentic reason for stories varying within the world of Narnia. Jack Lewis was scholar enough to know that oral traditions were often maintained intact for long periods, and also scholar enough to know that his Bible did NOT become altered like a game of whispers. (PM me sometime if you'd like to discuss it)

DigoryKirke, we understand that the timeline was in fact written by Jack, but it was not published until it was included in Mr Hooper's book "Past Watchful Dragons".
Nobody has been able to disprove Mr Hooper's claim that it was Jack's work.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby HM Swanwhite » Mar 19, 2010 8:12 pm

I love this character, though she be a minor one! And as you can see I used her name as my user name!! :p

I personally think this is either a slip-up of Jack's or that he never got round to amending his timeline. Though the idea of two Swanwhite's is interesting I do not feel it is what Jack meant or he would have mentioned both of them. I'm a bit of a purist so don't mind me. I'm okay with just one Swanwhite. I think perhaps when Jewel was relating the story of her that he didn't necessarily no more than he said or he would have said it (or perhaps it just wasn't recorded in the book ;) ).

Swanwhite's reputation or claim to fame and remembrance was through her reflection in the pool - didn't it also say it was like a light? Sorry, haven't read the book in awhile. :)

Another interesting character mentioned at the same time was Moonhare! Also very cool. I think they were noted and remembered more for their extraordinary abilities or characteristics more than anything else.
Go Marina Erakovic!
I've met Michael Apted!!!
Av & Sig by Me. NWeb sis: ForeverFan
HM Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 09, 2010 4:22 pm

I think it was a simple mistake that he had forgotten that or she could be immortal. lol! I know very unlikely. Obviously. But it's never stupid to guess. It would make an interesting movie or fan fic though. :ymapplause:
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Katana » Oct 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Lewis should deffinetly writen another book just explaining all these mysteries and questions about the Narnia series :p

-Katana
Im not inactive just very very busy
-Katana, Member of the Midnight Society, Weapons afficionado of the castle of Ivory&Gold, esteemed owner of a flying pickle
Katana
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Sitting on a sunny windowsill in the back hallway reading a book

Previous