This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's Daughter (Original Ideas)

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Ramandu's Daughter (Original Ideas)

Postby Lady Éowyn » Sep 03, 2009 10:21 pm

Ramandu's Daughter's outfit (or "Ramda" as her name is sometimes shortened) is definitely at the top of my most anticipated costumes list for VODT, and I'm guessing that's the case for a lot of you, so it's fitting that it's the first topic opened on Shiny New NarniaWeb. :-bd

And even though there probably won't be any pictures for a long time, we've found plenty to discuss about her dress for over three years. So back to it! Have more thoughts on fabrics? Styles? Think another dress is similar to what you want to see Ramda in? Sketched an original design?

Two of the most popular comparisons have been to Arwen's dream dress from The Two Towers and this dress of Padme's from Star Wars.

And so far we have all generally agreed with Lewis that her dress should be blue. ;)

Speaking of which, here are a few lovely and inspirational blue and silver fabrics...
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ramandu's Daughter

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am

Ooh, pretty fabrics! :)

Interesting comparison photos. I definitely see the Arwen's dress comparison; as I think Ramandu's Daughter would definitely wear something lose and flowey. I'm not seeing the Star Wars one as much; probably because of the top...it's too...modern? lol. It doesn't really look like it would fit RD as well.

Now that we know what RD is going to look like, does anyone have any updated ideas on what kind of costumes she might have? I.e. she's fair and blond, so I think we'll see her in light blue, or maybe even green. Blue is the most logical choice, since she is a star's daughter and blue is the color of the heavens. I can't really see her in silver; but maybe a blue and silver mix? :)
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Aravis Tarkheena » Sep 04, 2009 1:49 pm

I think Laura Brent would look good in a silver-blue mix. I imagined something A LOT like Arwen's dress, but not like Padme's (at all). Actually, the dress that I think would be the most fitting is the one in all those promo pictures with Arwen tilting to the side with her evenstar on (I think it might be the same dress that she wears on the bridge with Aragorn). I think the fabrics Lady E posted are gorgeous, but I think that Ramandu's Daughter would wear something thinner and more wavy, almost like tissue (and definitely transparent--just there's so much of the stuff that it isn't). It would be kind of fun if her dress sparkled, but that's just me. I always visualized a small train too.

But, kind of random, do you think a dilute blue would even look good on Laura? I think her hair's kind of reddish, which might look funny....
Looking further up and further in

avvie by me
Aravis Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ellz_bellz » Sep 04, 2009 6:28 pm

BLUE!

That dress of Arwen's is stunning! So is Padme's. If there could be some sort of combination of the two, In Blue but with a silver sheen. I really want RD to GLOW, if you get what I mean.

Since Laura has that long, blonde hair, a flowing dress would really play that up. Does Laura have blue eyes? Because if she does, a blue dress would add to the whole 'star' idea, and make her eyes pop. I would know, I've got blue eyes.
Proud that VDT is Australian :)
siggy by lover of narnia, avie by jillhope
ellz_bellz
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby campgirl » Sep 04, 2009 7:38 pm

I DON'T like Arwen's dress or Padme's for RD!! (Personally, I think they aren't very modest at all, but y'all may not agree, so...) I love the fabrics that Lady Éowyn posted and I don't think that Laura's hair color will mess up the blue. ;)

I really think that something like Galadriel's in LOTR would look great for her if it was adjusted a little so that it doesn't look like Narnia is a copy-cat! That'd be awful! :-o

Here's a picture of Galadriel's dress
And another one

I really can't wait to see what they pick for her!!! :D
Team Hoodie! | Keeper of the Secret Magic | ♥
campgirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 05, 2009 12:06 pm

I definietly like the blue silver combo. You know how Isis said she sewed Tilda Swinton into her costume so you couldn't tell how she got in it or how she would get out? That's how I think it should be with RD''s dress.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aslansothername » Sep 05, 2009 5:22 pm

I like how Arwen's dress is very flowing and loose, I think that RD's dress should be like it, but I think it should have the long sleeves (May be like Ewoyen's dress in LOTR) Definitely think it should be a pale blue/sliver. I like the sparkly idea too Aravis Tarkheena!!!!
Want to become an informed American teen?
http://www.t4at.webs.com/
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Éowyn » Sep 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Excuse the excess of links, but I went googling tonight after I was reminded of a dress that I bookmarked (literally) in a historical fashion book I have. The dress was a gown by Madame Grés, who designed a lot of '40s evening gowns based on Grecian designs, made with soft drapey fabrics that with flowing, drapey pleating... gorgeous stuff, really. Anyway, especially since they're Grecian inspired, I love elements of a lot of these designs of hers for Ramandu's Daughter.

This is my favorite so far, and it's in a really beautiful blue. I don't like the tie in the front for Ramandu's Daughter, but I love that element of the dress. I would also like Ramda in a lighter, paler blue.

This one has a really neat neckline... but maybe a little too high and stifling for Ramandu's Daughter.

This is the dress in the book I have that first sent me off looking for more Madame Grés designs—in fact, that's the book, page 480 and 481—but it looks like Google books didn't scan that first image too well. In the book it's stunning.

I love the way the pleats come down the center in this one. this one. And this one, in its simplicity, reminds me a bit of the dress that Ramda wore in the Pauline Baynes illustration, except the color, of course. It's a bit like this one, which is not a Madame Grés, it's just a picture I found on flickr.

I love the drapes in the skirts on this one and this one. And the cape on this one is neat. I think I mentioned this in the last thread; I'd love to see Ramda in a sheer (transparent) hooded cloak at first. Then she can throw back the hood from her face and the cloak from her arms so we can see the dress...

There are some things I don't like so much about those designs for Ramda, though, including the necklines and the sleeves. I think Ramda needs sleeves a bit like Arwen's dream dress... Lewis said her arms were bare, so I'd love for her to have some drapey wing-like sleeves that are split at the outside of the arm at the shoulder. Bare arms and sleeves. :D
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 06, 2009 5:18 am

[quote="Lady Éowyn"]
This is the dress in the book I have that first sent me off looking for more Madame Grés designs—in fact, that's the book, page 480 and 481—but it looks like Google books didn't scan that first image too well. In the book it's stunning.[/quote/]

That is exactly how I pictured her dress!!! I love it!! You should apply to work on the costume desiging team!!
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Edis1 » Sep 06, 2009 1:04 pm

I don't have any pictures buut I have awlays had an idea what it should look like,I thought it should be a light flowing fabric,short sleeves just under the shoulder and the skirt would go all the way to the ground. I can't decied the color,mabey a light blue with silver stars and swirls and a silver sash or a darker blue.
Avy & Sig by Ithilwen Jesus loves you! Join the Edmund fan club! PM me to join! members-5
Image Legolas=Awesome!
Edmund=Fantastic!
Edis1
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 06, 2009 3:44 pm

I like the first dress you linked, Lady E. If the ties were longer, I think they'd suit Ramda.

These are from greek styled dresses that were shown during a Milan Fashion week. (2007 maybe?)

The skirt on this one is like a mini mini skirt, so I'll only post the detail shot. You can just see the drape that comes off the right shoulder and is belted at the waist to form the skirt.

The caption for this was "With Embellishment like this, Who needs Jewelry?"

Or maybe something like this: I've always loved the idea of a cowl neck for Ramda... detail shot
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby stars_daughter17 » Sep 06, 2009 6:37 pm

This is my favorite so far, and it's in a really beautiful blue. I don't like the tie in the front for Ramandu's Daughter, but I love that element of the dress. I would also like Ramda in a lighter, paler blue.

This is the dress in the book I have that first sent me off looking for more Madame Grés designs—in fact, that's the book, page 480 and 481—but it looks like Google books didn't scan that first image too well. In the book it's stunning.

These two are my favorites, only both in a pale blue. :) I can't wait to see Laura as RD!
Narnia Fan For Life
:D I'VE SEEN THE MOVIE!!! :D
stars_daughter17
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Weapon Master » Sep 06, 2009 7:05 pm

That particular dress of Arwen's has always been my favorite of her costumes, but for Ramandu's Daughter, I always pictured something a little different. First of all, I was thinking more of a lapis lazuli shade of blue. This is a dark blue gemstone with flecks of golden pyrite, and was thought by the ancient Sumerians to mimic the stars in the night sky, so the symbolism would be very appropriate for Ramandu's Daughter. What I like about Arwen's dress is the loose flowing cut. If that style can be reduced to fewer layers (Lewis describes the her dress as "a single long garment"), the sleeveless look would march Lewis' text perfectly. I wouldn't mind a little silver glitz or beading, but if they go in that direction, I hope it's kept to a minimum.
Weapon Master
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Lady Éowyn » Sep 06, 2009 8:56 pm

Haha, thanks, A_Narnian_Ship. :)

I love that last dress, Mel—I think a cowl neck would be great on Ramandu's Daughter! The embellishment is neat, too. I could see something like that maybe twined with some of her hair at the back.

Another link—a formal dress from the '70s, actually, also rather Grecian. This is simpler in style—probably similar to the "single long garment," of the description you mentioned, Weapon Master, and similar to what Pauline Baynes drew. Although it says baby blue, it looks a little drab and grey on my monitor... if done right, it could work, but that's a bit too simple, I think.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby PrincessMia241 » Sep 09, 2009 12:32 pm

I know it's supposed to be blue, but personally I would love to see her in a shimmery green too, like in another scene. In color kinda like Arwen's coronation gown, but a lot softer looking, and sparkly. And lots and lots of silver. <3 If they do it right that will probably be my favorite part of the movie lol
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aravis Tarkheena » Sep 10, 2009 4:50 pm

campgirl wrote:I DON'T like Arwen's dress or Padme's for RD!! (Personally, I think they aren't very modest at all, but y'all may not agree, so...)

Well I don't think they're very modest either, but I wouldn't wear a lot of what even Narnia is putting out. I don't think I would ever wear Susan's Farewell dress or purple dress (without adjustments). I can see how you might want a star's daughter to be more modest, but to me, I like the way Arwen's dress looks, and I wouldn't mind RD to wear something like that (even if I personally wouldn't).

WOW Lady E! You posted so many dresses....I did go through and look at them all but I've forgotten which was my favorite :-\ . Most of them didn't really have trains though, which I would like, just because they add to the royal feel (for me). I also like train because they seem so mystical...especially when she comes through in the morning. I kind of want her dress to puddle around her and sort of fade in the mist. :)
Looking further up and further in

avvie by me
Aravis Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Guru

Next