This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

A-Z Geography

Enjoy games and blogs with other NarniaWebbers.

Moderator: ValiantArcher

Re: A-Z Geography

Postby Courtenay » Mar 04, 2020 4:27 pm

Sassafras, Victoria — a lovely little town in the beautiful Dandenong Ranges just east of Melbourne
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Cleander » Mar 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Tewkesbury, England
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Courtenay » Mar 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Upper Slaughter, in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, England

(and there's Lower Slaughter as well, but despite the interesting name, they are very pretty and peaceful villages :D )
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Cleander » Mar 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Vienna, Austria

(I wonder if "slaughter" just refers to a place where livestock were butchered or something??....)
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 06, 2020 5:03 pm

Wilcannia, New South Wales, right up in the north western corner, & distinctly desert like.

Cleander wrote:(I wonder if "slaughter" just refers to a place where livestock were butchered or something??....)
Yess.. most likely, but, as well, there are heaps of pre 1066 battles in English history, some nobody might have heard of. It would be interesting to know what happened there.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Courtenay » Mar 07, 2020 1:03 am

Vilnius, capital of Lithuania

waggawerewolf27 wrote:
Cleander wrote:(I wonder if "slaughter" just refers to a place where livestock were butchered or something??....)
Yess.. most likely, but, as well, there are heaps of pre 1066 battles in English history, some nobody might have heard of. It would be interesting to know what happened there.

Nothing, actually. ;) According to Wikipedia and other sites (this is an interesting one), the name simply comes from "slough", meaning wet or muddy land. In fact, Upper Slaughter has been rated as a "Doubly Thankful Village" because it lost no men (or women) in either WW1 or WW2 — there are only 14 villages in the whole of England that have that distinction. So no slaughtering at all, despite what the name sounds like.
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 07, 2020 5:58 pm

Xiangyang City, one of four cities starting with X in Hubei province, China.

Courtenay wrote:So no slaughtering at all, despite what the name sounds like.
Thank you for the explanation. :) Sometimes people can get the wrong idea about place names. ;)

At the moment, in Sydney, it seems we are in the middle of the Great Self-Isolating Toilet Roll panic. At our major supermarkets we are only allowed to buy one packet of 18 rolls, or less, at a time, & we even have security staff enforcing it at checkouts. People are reporting thefts of such grocery items from shopping trolleys, backyard "dunnies" (Aussie term) & the like. It seems even the State Parliament was affected... I don't know whether to laugh or cry. =)) :(( Maybe things are a bit saner, South of the Border?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » Mar 07, 2020 6:59 pm

Yonkers, a town in USA ,featured in the stage and screen musical Hello Dolly.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Courtenay » Mar 08, 2020 7:28 am

Zierikzee, a small city not far from Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

waggawerewolf27 wrote:At the moment, in Sydney, it seems we are in the middle of the Great Self-Isolating Toilet Roll panic. At our major supermarkets we are only allowed to buy one packet of 18 rolls, or less, at a time, & we even have security staff enforcing it at checkouts. People are reporting thefts of such grocery items from shopping trolleys, backyard "dunnies" (Aussie term) & the like. It seems even the State Parliament was affected... I don't know whether to laugh or cry. =)) :(( Maybe things are a bit saner, South of the Border?

No, not according to my family (I'm back in the UK now). I heard from my sister a few days ago that her local Woolworths was completely out of toilet paper. I haven't yet needed to buy more of it over here, but I will in a couple of days — let's hope there's some left somewhere here in Kent... :-o
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Cleander » Mar 10, 2020 2:03 pm

Amsterdam, Holland

Courtenay wrote:

Nothing, actually. ;) According to Wikipedia and other sites (this is an interesting one), the name simply comes from "slough", meaning wet or muddy land. In fact, Upper Slaughter has been rated as a "Doubly Thankful Village" because it lost no men (or women) in either WW1 or WW2 — there are only 14 villages in the whole of England that have that distinction. So no slaughtering at all, despite what the name sounds like.

Thanks for info! I'm always interested in learning new facts about ancient/medieval European history!
Well, even though the truth is somewhat boring, at least I have a new inspiration for fantasy place names...
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Courtenay » Mar 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Burpengary, Queensland, Australia (yes, that is another actual place name :D )
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 10, 2020 8:19 pm

Collarenebri is in the North West corner of NSW & the name in the Kamilaroi Aboriginal language means Place of Flowers. It may be, sometimes.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » Mar 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Deptford, a suburb of south east London,near Greenwich.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Courtenay » Mar 11, 2020 2:10 am

Enniscorthy, County Wexford, Ireland
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wild rose » Mar 12, 2020 8:49 am

Florence, Italy
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby coracle » Mar 12, 2020 1:53 pm

Greenville, South Carolina, USA, where I am living until the end of April.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

PreviousNext