This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Name Origins

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Name Origins

Postby Glenwit » Jan 27, 2020 2:14 pm

Hello NarniaWeb,

I apologize if this was in another thread somewhere, I did not notice it.

Anyways, I thought it would be cool to discuss usernames - and what inspired them. Is there a specific meaning behind it/Narnia reference of some kind/anything? Or it could just be totally random.

I guess I'll start. If I was a non-human Narnian creature, I'd want to be a centaur. So I literally went to a centaur name-generator and Glenwit was the result (incidentally, it's also a portmanteau of 'Glenstorm' and 'Roonwit' - two of the most prominent Narnian Centaurs in the novels).
Love can save a life, like music warms the night
Everything is beautiful now
So open up your eyes, fall into the light
Glenwit
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: In deep space - testing a shared universe portal hypothesis

Re: Name Origins

Postby johobbit » Jan 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi, Glenwit, 'tis a great idea for a topic! I know we had a similar one ages (as in years) ago, but it's probably long-locked or buried deep in the history of the Spare Oom. ;))

I do like your combination username of those two Narnian Centaurs!

I am a huge Narnia fan, but also a huge Middle-earth fan, and since I adore hobbits and my first name is Jo-Anna, I combined those. ;)) Also, ever since I was young, I loved the Peanuts comic strip, wherein Snoopy sometimes referred to himself as Joe Cool, so my username is also kind of a takeoff on that.
:)
johobbit

Postby coracle » Jan 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Hi Glenwit. My username goes back to another C.S.Lewis site and forum I belonged from the late 90s, where we just used our own names, and made some great online friendships (some of whom I still know today).

I had been cautious about chat rooms, but when the owner of the site started a chat room for the forum, my friends persuaded me to join in, and I had to come up with a chatname.

A group of members had already written some shared stories on the forum (not entirely RP) and in one of them we each selected an animal character to represent ourselves. I had used a mouse character, partly because I had played a mouse onstage; thinking of Reepicheep I decided that 'coracle' was a good 'vehicle' for a mouse. I have used this name in several places on the internet ever since, but nowhere as much as here.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » Jan 27, 2020 10:40 pm

Fun idea for a thread! I remember enjoying the stories in the original one johobbit mentions.

My screen name refers to my favorite and longest-running hobby, amateur astronomy. This was the first online forum I actually signed up for (as opposed to lurking) and so the name is not terribly original, but it is descriptive.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 28, 2020 3:39 am

King Erlian is of course the father of King Tirian, whom Tirian meets at the end of The Last Battle when he and the Friends of Narnia enter the Real Narnia. On the "Introduce Yourself" thread on NarniaWeb, the first question is "King or Queen? (male or female)", and I liked the idea of being a Narnian king. But I didn't identify as much with most of the Narnian kings in the books (Peter, Edmund, Caspian, Rilian, Tirian) because they're all quite young and I'm middle-aged. I know Erlian is described in The Last Battle as "young and merry", but so are Digory and Polly in the New Narnia. He had been middle-aged, and that's good enough for me. The other contenders were King Frank, but I couldn't see myself as a Cockney cab-driver, and King Lune, which I did consider but decided I wasn't quite portly enough.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Cleander » Jan 28, 2020 4:33 am

Great idea Glenwit!
(I actually guessed that Roonwit and Glenstorm had something to do with your username. :D )
Cleander (not my real name) is actually an ancient Greek name (pronounced similarly to Alexander). It was the name of a character in an old Stephen Boyd movie I like called The Fall of the Roman Empire. In the movie, Cleander is a creepy blind court sage to the Roman Emperor, whom he treacherously assassinates.
In history, he was a captain of the Praetorian guard who fell out of favor with and was executed by the emperor Commodus.(That's right, the villain from Gladiator.)
I've used Cleander on a ton of different sites I'm on, not to mention a character in one of the books I have in progress, so I just seem to have a weird obsession with the name! :-?? :-??
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Courtenay » Jan 28, 2020 5:09 am

Very interesting to hear where everyone gets their names from — thanks for starting/reviving this topic, Glenwit!

Mine, however, is totally uninventive... Courtenay is actually my real given name. :D I have occasionally used different names for other forums, but in a Narnia forum I figure I have nothing to hide and I don't mind people knowing my real name. Besides, it's an unusual enough name (especially with the old-fashioned spelling — though it's pronounced the same as the more common version, "Courtney") that it sounds good in an online forum without me having to rack my brains to think up something more exotic!!
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jan 28, 2020 2:28 pm

My username is what happens when you literally only put about 10 seconds of thought into what to call yourself. I originally came up with the name "narnia fan 7" back when I first started visiting Narniaweb. I wanted to leave a comment on some news story and obviously a username is required so I just thought "We'll I'm a Narnia fan, and theres 7 books" and just when with it. Then when I joined the forum I just stuck with the name since I was already using it.

If I'm being honest I kind of regret going with this name. I wish I'd come up with something that was an actual name instead of a generic numerical designation. But it is what it is and I guess I'm stuck with it. lol
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby daughter of the King » Jan 28, 2020 2:51 pm

My name is actually a combo of quotes from books I've read.

In Narnia, girls are referred to as "daughters of Eve"

In The Two Towers, Eowyn is described as "a daughter of kings"

And in The Princess and the Goblin the book opens with a conversation of how every little girl is a princess, and a princess is defined as "the daughter of a king"

So I just smooshed all that together. ;)) It's a little long for casual conversation, so eventually it got shortened to dotk, and then Dot.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Jan 28, 2020 2:55 pm

I'm glad you revived this topic, Glenwit! I remember enjoying the old thread, and it's always interesting to find out how everyone came up with their usernames!

It's probably easy enough to guess the story behind my name. Wunderkind comes from the credits song in LWW, and Lucy is one of my favorite characters in the Chronicles of Narnia.

I wanted to use Wunderkind_Princess (I've used this for my email address and other stuff) here; but, alas, it was too long. My other choice was girloff8th, a username I had previously used, but I wanted a Narnian-themed name.

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jan 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Before my family had a computer, my earliest experiences on the internet were booking the library computer for an hour and playing games. My very first online persona was from my account on the Lego website. I decided to call myself DrPepper - just because it sounded cool... and I liked to drink Dr. Pepper, I guess. Anyway, that username was apparently being used by 774 other people, so I was assigned the name DrPepper775.

A couple years later, I discovered Narnia and, shortly after that, I discovered NarniaWeb. Coming up with a name was a no brainer. Of course, I would call myself Reepicheep. He was my favourite Narnia character and probably my favourite character in general. Like with DrPepper, the name Reepicheep was already taken, but instead of calling myself Reepicheep3, or whatever the next available number was, I decided to honour my old Lego screen name and call myself Reepicheep775.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby shastastwin » Jan 28, 2020 7:35 pm

When I joined NarniaWeb, I knew I wanted something Narnian for my screen name. The Horse and His Boy is my favorite Chronicle, and Shasta my favorite character from the book. At the time, it had been a while since I had read the book again, and I couldn't remember Shasta's given name (Cor) but I could remember that he was a twin! ;)) So I came up with shastastwin (which is ironic, since I am far more like Shasta than I am like Corin). The name has stuck, with lots of nicknames and variations over the years, including ST, stwin, Saint (playing off "st") and Schwinn.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Glenwit » Jan 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Wow - this took off!

Thanks for all of your replies so far. We are truly a diverse group and our names definitely reflect that.
Love can save a life, like music warms the night
So open up your eyes, fall into the light
Glenwit
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: In deep space - testing a shared universe portal hypothesis

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 28, 2020 9:24 pm

I chose Meltintalle as a screen name because I needed one right as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies were coming out and I wanted to be an elf. So I hunted for an elvish baby name site and eventually came out with something that means 'Lover of the Starkindler' in Quenyan.

When I joined NarniaWeb, I still wanted to be an elf, and it was easy to remember. ;))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Arwenel » Feb 01, 2020 1:23 am

It's hard to remember my exact head-space from 13 (!) years ago, but that was around the time i was learning ... not to speak/read Elvish, exactly, but what certain components of Elvish meant, and how to combine them into names. At a guess, i took "Arwen", not as a reference to the character but as my best effort to translate my name into Elvish, then added "el" -- either for the meaning, or to differentiate myself from members like Lady Arwen. I'm not sure.

"Ar" means high, "wen" means maiden, and "el" means stars, so "high lady of the stars", which isn't bad. I don't use Arwenel anywhere else, but i do use a lot of cobbled-together Elvish syllables. Morfinwen most frequently (dark-haired maiden), but also Arindilwen and Armerilwen (lady of lilies and lady of roses respectively).
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Fun thread. :) I'm not really into the elvish names, but Meltintalle and Arwenel are super cool. B-)

I joined NarniaWeb as a teen and I couldn't come up with a Narnia inspired name that wasn't already taken, so I picked SnowAngel for several reasons. I love snow/winter, it's the title of book I enjoyed reading about that time, it's unique, and I thought it sounded cool. ;)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Next