This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Christmas Countdown 2019!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Christmas Countdown 2019!

Postby Cleander » Dec 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Well, on one of our trees we have enough owl ornaments to make a parliament! :D It helps that one of them almost exactly resembles Glimfeather...
I suppose miniature lampposts would be in order on a Narnian Christmas tree. (We actually have a lamppost ornament too! :-o )
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Dec 28, 2019 7:29 pm

My Narnian Christmas ornaments include some beavers, an official Narnia ornament, a lamppost my sister cross-stitched for me, and a couple of squirrels. I also have a Narnia tree skirt.

I don't have time to answer all of the questions. Or actually any of the questions. Sigh. Life. But I've saved the list so maybe I will have them answered by next year. :p

I have a question. Does your church do candle lighting on Christmas Eve? Our church decided to stop doing it because they don't want wax to get all over the new sanctuary. Luckily, I was visiting my mom so we went to a church that had it.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby coracle » Dec 28, 2019 10:23 pm

In 2005 I had a LWW themed tree with lots of plastic icicles and a line of white beads! In 2010 I collected all the plastic swords and daggers I could find, and laid them around at the base of the tree.
Apart from that, I have a golden apple, several birds, and a deer (?white stag?). Nothing else could really count as Narnian, apart from some images of Father Christmas.
But some of the other items on my tree remind me of other Narniawebbers, such as a red cardinal from Ontario, where a couple of members live.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Col Klink » Dec 29, 2019 11:37 am

I had a really nice Christmas. I got a lot of books and a few DVDs. (I intend to write about some of the books in the Books topic.) I got to see a lot of family members whom I don't normally get to see much. I was pretty sure some of them would be unable to make it due to the weather but none of my Puddleglum-esque predictions came to pass.

The only real problem is that I had to see all my distant relatives at the same time. When there are three different conversations going on in the same room at the same time, I have to concentrate hard to pay attention to a single one (and deciding which one is a burden) and the noise makes me want to run away screaming. ;))

P.S.
My brother's wife-to-be says her Church used to do a candle light Christmas Eve service.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ryadian » Dec 29, 2019 11:55 am

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:I have a question. Does your church do candle lighting on Christmas Eve? Our church decided to stop doing it because they don't want wax to get all over the new sanctuary. Luckily, I was visiting my mom so we went to a church that had it.

Neither my mom nor I could make it to our respective Christmas Eve services because they only offered afternoon services and it was before we got off work. We went to another church, and they had a traditional candlelight service - actual candles, even, not the electric ones! I understand the safety and mess concerns with real candles, but there's nothing quite like singing "Silent Night" in the light of real candles. :)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Courtenay wrote:Maybe some exotic-looking birds like the one in the apple tree in The Magician's Nephew? Or there are other animals that could be Narnian — a horse for Bree or Hwin, a mouse for Reepicheep... Again, it might be hard to find ones that are designed to be hung on the tree, but probably not impossible. One could find a small toy horse, mouse, lion etc. and add a hanging loop.

Now you mention Magician's Nephew, yes that sounds like a good idea. The idea of Narnian birth & rebirth so inherent in that book, sounds so brilliant at Christmas, especially the last few days afterwards. We have had the driest three months on record so far, with absolutely no rainfall & even on my husband's birthday (14th November) we daren't so much as light one birthday candle. At the moment, the Sun is looking better than it did yesterday, when it was such a dire dull red that thoughts of Charn did cross my mind.

Some good news! An apple orchard at Bilpin, in the mountains, having been saved from the fires, was able to reopen, whilst koalas & koala rescue have been a priority for this Christmas. I used to love going up to beautiful Kurrajong, on the road to Bilpin, where even on the ascent into the mountains, one could hear the bell birds calling each other, as in the Nepean Gorge. May this area also one day recover. We could go up there to the lookout there, where apple & orange orchards let people come to pick their own fruit, paying for it as they left the premises. Jadis wouldn't have been welcome there either. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Cleander » Dec 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Good to hear that things are looking up for the koalas, wagga! :D :ymapplause:
I've been to only one candlelight Christmas Eve service that I remember. I just remember we were all wearing gloves and getting wax everywhere. :ymblushing:

My family's Christmas was good. My one sister is getting married on Saturday, so it was kind of special since it was her last Christmas at home.
The gifts were pretty good though. I actually got a knockoff replica of Lucy's dagger! It has a black and silver handle, so it's not 100% accurate, but I like to think it looks a little more ... manly. It has a really nice sheath, and also nicely compliments my Rhindon replica.
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Dec 31, 2019 7:36 am

We had a very nice Christmas with our families. :D

My husband got me this awesome Lego treehouse set. I'm STILL not done with it (over 3000 pieces!!), but that hasn't stopped my kids from playing with it. :D But if you've seen The Lego Movie, I'm very much the Will Ferrell character in the movie. Legos must go together according to the instructions and stay that way :P So my kids have been properly threatened in the event they take my treehouse apart. :))

I also got a National Geographic Atlas of the United States of America that was published around the year 2000. It's fascinating because it's NOT like a road atlas. More like the changing maps and newspapers and headlines from I think the foundation of the country through current times.

Anybody else get something cool for Christmas? :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Er, no. :( It is even terrible to expect anything more startling than replacements of badly needed worn out clothing or equipment. Too much drama & heartache around this part of the world at the moment, when people have lost their homes, their lives, even, to do more than be very grateful for a new book to read & the unexpected & most enjoyable box of chocolates, given to me with so much love. ^:)^

It is now a full week after Christmas Day. Happy New Year today, January 1st, 2020, wherever in the world you happen to be! We had fireworks as usual in Sydney, itself, to ring in the New Year, even though many felt, with 2020 hindsight, that this year they should have been cancelled, especially with total fire bans in place. Suburban events in Parramatta & Campbelltown definitely were cancelled & there were only a few fireworks let off around here.

However, such yearly events are planned well ahead, & who would have ever dreamed, at the end of 2018, that the bushfires would have been so devastating on New Year's Eve in 2019? They went ahead as scheduled, as around Sydney Harbour is probably the safest part to have fireworks. But this year's fireworks, as spectacular as they still were, were a bit subdued, & only went on for about half the time it did in past years. Red Cross & other charity volunteers used the occasion to collect donations, raising A$900,000 or more for the Australian Red Cross alone.

There have been some good news though. Mogo Zoo & its animals have been so far protected from a raging bushfire at Clyde Mountain, near Batemans Bay on the NSW south coast. However, the township has been demolished instead, & there has been some deaths. Courtenay, I'm sorry to have to tell you the bushfires of 2009 have returned to Gippsland, a decade later.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Courtenay » Dec 31, 2019 4:00 pm

It's awful even just hearing about it, Wagga — my family aren't near the fires, but that's no comfort for everyone else who is. My prayers are with you all and I'm making a big donation to the Aussie Red Cross — I remember how much they did back in 2009. Here's hoping for better days ahead soon.
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Dec 31, 2019 8:10 pm

It's New Year's Day in New Zealand, and the sky over much of the country is full of smoke that has come over from Australia, making it darker than usual, and the sun piercing through like a rather yellow lamp. It's about 30 degrees C, a hot day, but I am skulking indoors where it's cooler, and peering out at the odd sky, which has grown brighter in the last couple of hours.
If it looks this odd here, what is the smoke like in Australia!? Our empathy is restricted by our lack of experience in fires (apart from a few years ago here when there was a big fire on the hills).

To add a celebratory tone, I am watching LWW, and have PC and VDT ready to play next!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 31, 2019 8:56 pm

It has cooled down a bit from yesterday where it was at least 44C in Penrith, in the Western Suburbs, on the opposite side of Sydney, itself, from NZ. But the heat will probably come back by Saturday. Most mornings & evenings the bushfire haze has continued unabated, some days worse than others. Just when we think that we might be getting on top of things, back it comes, often from fires that seemed to be subdued & have reignited with a change of wind. The Sun, especially in the morning & evening, looks horribly like the Sun Polly & Digory saw in Charn, just a bit smaller, I hope. My personal freedom has become somewhat restricted due to a medical history of asthma, & as horrifying as the reports have been, I am glad that the usual fires in Winmalee, Yellow Rock & elsewhere, so bad in October 2013, have not happened - so far. Three cheers for the preparation work done in the area during last autumn. One benefit from so much haze is that in a weird way it never seems to get as hot as is feared, such as the beginning of 2018, when on 7th January the temperature reached 47.3C.

I don't suppose the yearly fireworks display would have helped, though letting off fireworks seemed strangely subdued here, as a whole. Two of my 3 daughters went into Circular Quay where they said it was a terrific display, as usual but agreed with us that it was curtailed somewhat, as a nod to people's sensitivities. The Sydney City Council decided not to can this yearly event, which allegedly draws in the tourists bigtime, & used it instead for a fundraising event to aid the RFS, among other things. My daughters had been preparing for this year's event six months ago, & only had to pay A$250 dollars for overnight accommodation for 2 people. But some of the big hotels with good views of Sydney Harbour Bridge charge tariffs of thousands of dollars just for that one night of the year.

My husband rang his brother in Tasmania, who up until Christmas Day had seen very little smoke down there, though the situation seems to have changed yesterday. I'm not surprised that you have been getting so much pollution in Christchurch, though I hope you had a nice Christmas nonetheless. Sitting in a cool place watching Narnia films sounds fantastic. I'm afraid to wake up the sleeping beauties who came home about 11'ish, AM that is.

The severity of the bushfires has been blamed on the horribly dry atmosphere, with a positive IOD (Indian Ocean Dipole), now weakening, coupled with a late Indian Monsoon, which has, in turn, made the Darwin Monsoon, too late to cool the atmosphere in the north part of the continent. Maybe the monsoon will turn up before the end of the month.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 01, 2020 6:53 pm

Yesterday, the whole family enjoyed drinking BRCC's Combat Cocoa, one of the gifts I gave my siblings for Christmas. It was quite successful. I do wish it had a bit more chocolate in it, it's more of a milk chocolate flavor than I usually enjoy. I will definitely purchase it again especially for my brothers. :D

And today, we once again played multiple games of Catan (Christmas gift from big brother and sister-in-law) and had a great time doing it. :)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby mm1991 » Jan 02, 2020 3:22 am

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I'm still a little sick and I had to skip all the Christmas celebrations. One of them is simply postponed, so I'll still get a celebration with my parents.

We had a quiet Christmas day at home since I also got my boyfriend sick. And now he is my fiancé! He proposed and I said yes! :x We haven't told anyone yet, we are keeping things to ourselves for now, but I figure telling my fellow Narniawebbers is okay. :p

Best. Christmas. Ever.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Courtenay » Jan 02, 2020 4:32 am

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 02, 2020 5:47 pm

mm1991 wrote:Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I'm still a little sick and I had to skip all the Christmas celebrations. One of them is simply postponed, so I'll still get a celebration with my parents.

We had a quiet Christmas day at home since I also got my boyfriend sick. And now he is my fiancé! He proposed and I said yes! :x We haven't told anyone yet, we are keeping things to ourselves for now, but I figure telling my fellow Narniawebbers is okay. :p

Best. Christmas. Ever.

I'm so glad, & I did wonder how you got on. Given it is winter where you are, was it the flu? Have a very lovely New Year, Congratulations on your your happy news @};- %%- :ymhug:

Courtenay wrote:Hmmm, interesting question to think about! A lion would be an obvious choice for a Narnian, but it might be hard to find one that's a tree ornament. Maybe one could make one somehow...

There were those little freebies children pester their oldies to collect when shopping at Woolies or Coles. Last year there were little lions, among other characters from the story, when a production of The Lion King was being shown here in Sydney. Looking at a translucent blue lion littering my desk, I can't help wondering how such a lion could be transformed into a Christmas tree ornament. It is rather small, though, & has a hole where it sits down so that it can be put on the end of a pencil or biro.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext