This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Kalta79 » Nov 16, 2019 1:21 pm

It's been warmer then usual lately, but this morning it was foggy and stayed foggy til just recently, and we had a few minutes of rain drops as well. Chance of rain for the next few days too, so we'll see. Got plenty of coffee/tea/cocoa supplies, so we're good! :D
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Nov 25, 2019 11:03 am

It's been warmer than usual here lately as well, with highs around 45F/7C.

But winter will make an appearance just in time for Thanksgiving travel. Some models indicate up to 9 inches/230mm of snow with high winds and near-blizzard conditions.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby coracle » Nov 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Today has been one of the hot winds that we get in my city, like a foehn wind. The westerly wind drops its rain on the mountains and then comes over them and rushes down across the plains to us. I have been away from home for over 2 years, and this is my first of these since I got back. Sneezing, tired head, all windblown!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 26, 2019 10:00 pm

Ouch! I suspect those winds came originally from Australia. Yes we have been getting a little thunderstorm activity, sort of like flickering fluorescent tubes & a bit of next door banging about, with some showers to make us feel just a little better. But up until a day or so ago the weather was still bushfire smoke-laden smoggy air with the occasional breeze to stir up dust storms. One of those poor little rescued koalas died. This was a male koala which the Port Macquarie koala hospital called Louis. His injuries may have been too much for the poor little thing. :((

I visited Christchurch early in 1967, when there was a snow capped mountain range just out of the city which you could see in the park there. I wonder if there is still snow on those mountains now.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kalta79 » Nov 27, 2019 10:22 am

We're in the midst of a winter storm here. Meteorologists are calling it a bomb cyclone, which from my understanding is just a winter storm, for those who have lived through real ones, not just an inch or two by people who forget every year what winter is like. /:) :)

Tomorrow there's not supposed to be any snow, so I'll shovel down to the gate then. Right now just clearing paths to take care of the animals. But I'm not shoveling a 200ft long path to just have to do it again when more snow hits...
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepicheep775 » Nov 27, 2019 11:45 am

We had heavy snowfall earlier this month and the ground was completely covered in about 24 hours. It has since melted and I'm starting to get a "spring feeling" even though I know that the real winter is probably just around the corner.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Nov 27, 2019 10:42 pm

As I understand it, a bomb cyclone (along with the infamous polar vortex) is a meteorological term that has been picked up and popularized by the media. It's a "rapid deepening of an extra-tropical cyclonic low-pressure area" and requires a pressure drop of at least 24 millibars in 24 hrs.

We received 10-12 inches (254-300mm) of fresh, heavy "heart-attack" snow overnight, and the ski areas are thrilled at the pickup in customers right at the beginning of the year-end holiday season. I suspect it will be next spring before we see the ground again. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby coracle » Nov 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Wagga, it's a dominant westerly that comes across the Tasnan Sea, picking up lots of moisture as it goes.
Too heavy to take it over the Southern Alps [think Lighting the Beacons in Lord of the Rings], so it drops it on the narrow west coast side.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Courtenay » Nov 28, 2019 2:22 pm

coracle wrote:Too heavy to take it over the Southern Alps [think Lighting the Beacons in Lord of the Rings]...

So you really do have hobbits over there?? :D (Only kidding — I'm sure you're all tired of jokes like that by now.)

It's been very grey and damp for days now in the southern UK where I am, but when we do have a bit of sunshine in autumn, it's glorious. I can never get over what a huge transformation there is in the landscape from season to season, as we don't have nearly such dramatic changes in Australia where I grew up. There are rumours we're in for a very cold winter, but that's what they said last year and it was quite mild. On the other hand, the year before that we had more snow than I've ever seen in my life before, so you never know!! :-o

Wagga, I hope you're getting more rain on those bushfires. They're even making the news over here (it takes a lot for anything in Australia to get a mention on the news in Britain), especially with all the poor koalas. I've even seen people online asking if koalas are now extinct after all those fires... er, no, not by quite a long shot, but the fires haven't helped!!
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 01, 2019 7:18 pm

No, Courtenay, not even close, unfortunately. I've been rather ill with all this bushfire haze, even though the worst of them have been north of Sydney, up to Southern Queensland, unlike in 2013, when we could see them from our own place. The smoke has come down, like a brown out, even blocking out the harbour views. There are now Save the Koalas appeals, so what koalas are still there will be looked after as well as possible, along with what remains of wombats & kangaroos.

It was the first of summer yesterday, announced at church to a somewhat sceptical congregation. The weather is more or less the same as it has been for months, but somewhat more overcast & yesterday with a distinct chill in the air. If there was the slightest pinprick or two of rain I must have missed it. Though the sky cleared up by afternoon, it was cloudy & cool for this time of year, & in the evening another bushfire close by this time, fortunately soon put out, but 120 more on the news. The air is clearer today, with a windy chill with stray rain clouds passing overhead. I'd be glad if I never heard about bushfires for the rest of my life, to tell the truth. :(

So far, it seems the weather up in the Northern Hemisphere sounds much as I would expect. It sounds glorious up where you are with all those autumn colours. Oh how I dream of a greenly grassed Christmas, instead though.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kalta79 » Dec 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Smoke is no fun...two fire seasons ago, the air here was horrible. We're in an area that seems to be a magnet for smoke from any fire within two hundred miles. Ever since then, I get sick from any wildfire smoke in the air. Weather is warming up to be in the 40s during the day, with mix of rain and snow here. And we're just about out of cocoa! :((
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Methinks our snow might be here to stay. We had quite the freezing rain storm this past Sunday, which culminated in snow arriving overnight into Monday. What a winter wonderland that morning! From the tiniest twig to larger branches, all was ice-entombed. And because the temperature has not since nearly risen above freezing, the landscapes, trees, hillsides, fields are still beautifully white.

But, oh no, wait! The forecast for the end of the weekend is a few degrees above freezing with snow changing to rain. Drat. :P I'm hoping that changes yet.

These past few years, instead of cold temps and snow staying from late November through March and into April (as it was up until about a decade ago), there have been so many ups and downs—the weather has become very temperamental. Yet, snow often begins earlier in the season than it used to, which is nice. Except that Autumn this year came late, and therefore that glorious season was far too short.

Sure hoping for a white Christmas. :ymdaydream: We shall see!
johobbit

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Dec 03, 2019 6:47 pm

I wish we would get snow here in Georgia. If we do get snow, we tend to get it in February. Everything shuts down, school and work get canceled, and the stores run out of bread, milk, and water.

I usually sit back and laugh ;)) (unless we're out of milk X() because I grew up in the Midwest and the West, so I've really experienced snow (and 1 blizzard back in 1994-ish, I think). I just enjoy the brief moment when the snow barely covers the dirt and dying grass.

I think the last time we had snow, the governor had to declare a state of emergency, and students in the Atlanta area were stranded at school. We don't have any of the gear that people in snowy areas have, so we don't have salt to melt the ice or snowplows or anything like that.

At least we've had more of a fall this year. The leaves are quite lovely this year. We're actually enjoying some pretty reds, oranges, and yellows instead of the ugly browns. It's only starting to get chilly, though, so no sweaters yet! :((

wagga, I'm sure it's awful with the bush fires. I've never been anywhere that had fires that bad, although we had an occasional fire when my family used to live in Idaho (the lightning would occasionally strike the dry sagebrush and start fires), but nothing like a real bush fire. I'll keep praying that rain will come soon.

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Yes it has been awful for weeks now with all the haze. We are supposed to be coming into summer properly now with 43C max today or tomorrow but maybe because of the haze the temperature is still bearable without air conditioning. Meanwhile, one of the New Zealander volcanoes in the Bay of Plenty, I think it is, has been erupting... I hope everyone there is all right. :(

Best wishes to everyone on board here, & I hope you have very merry White Christmases, even if they aren't all that usual. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Courtenay » Dec 09, 2019 5:00 am

43C... ooer, thanks for reminding me why I don't miss summer in Australia. :-o (It does get that hot sometimes in the far south-east where I come from — fortunately not as often as further inland, but still not nice.) Hope you do get some more rain and not too much more heat, Wagga.

I doubt we'll get a white Christmas in the UK (very rare, except maybe in the far north of Scotland), but there may be snow later in the winter! :) I love snow, so long as there's not TOO much of it. (Of course, because most of the UK rarely has large amounts of snow, we're not well equipped for it and everything tends to grind to a halt on the odd occasion when there's more than a little of it. But it IS magical to watch when it comes, or so I think, anyway.)
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Dec 10, 2019 9:25 pm

43C! Whew! That's about 61C warmer than it is outside right now. ;)) And it's only going down from here, with expected lows around -10F/-23C tonight in the coldest night of the season so far. Areas in northern Minnesota are already colder than that, and many did not get above 0F/-18C at all today.

Plenty of snow here, and if these temps persist we're going to have a white Christmas. But one never knows when a blistering heat wave may arrive.
stargazer

PreviousNext