This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Save the Date

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Save the Date

Postby stargazer » Nov 23, 2019 11:15 am

This week also marks the 50th anniversary of Apollo 12, the second manned lunar landing mission. On this flight, the astronauts landed near, and recovered parts of, the unmanned Surveyor 3 probe which had landed about 2 years earlier.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby coracle » Nov 24, 2019 12:07 am

The 23rd was also the 56th anniversary of the first episode of TV programme Doctor Who.
(It has been suggested that C S Lewis regenerated as The Doctor!)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby SnowAngel » Dec 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Today is National Cookie Day in the US which is perfect because I was looking for an excuse to eat some cookies. :D

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Today by our time is the commemoration of the Bombing of Pearl Harbour in 1941 on 6th December. The following February, on the 19th, saw the equivalent bombing meted out to Darwin in Australia, causing much loss of life at the time.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » Dec 05, 2019 9:10 pm

6 December is also Saint Nicholas's Day in European countries.
This is the Turkish bishop known as 'Sinterklaas' in the Netherlands. Seeing him represented (as a bishop) in a parade in New York many years ago, a news reporter asked who he was; he misheard the reply and recorded it as 'Santa Klaus'.
Celebrations on this day will involve children being visited by St Nicholas, with gifts if they are good. There may be 'Black Peter' (or the Krampus) with him, threatening to take naughty children to punishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Cleander » Dec 06, 2019 4:41 am

Ah yes, today is the day that St. Nicholas of Myra passed away in 343 AD. He has an amazing legend, (a major portion of which is made up of later medieval stories with a smack of fanfiction about them) but he is generally remembered as a generous giver who saved many from starvation in the Roman province of Lycia.
Black Peter seems to come from a 6th century man whom St Nicholas is said to have appeared to in spirit form and rescued from prison, whereupon Peter swore to become a monk.
My mother was raised Eastern Orthodox, and remembers celebrating St Nicholas day as a kid!
Happy St. Nicholas day everyone!
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Courtenay » Dec 06, 2019 5:26 am

Thanks for sharing this, Coracle and Cleander. A while ago I found a lovely website that explains all about the historical St Nicholas, who he was and what he did, and how he was transformed into "Santa Claus" in the popular imagination: St Nicholas Center I've found it very helpful in countering the arguments one occasionally hears that Santa Claus is a "pagan figure" (or simply an anagram of Satan) and shouldn't have anything to do with Christmas.

Of course the figure of Santa Claus / Father Christmas has had various elements from pagan traditions blended into him, but at the core of it is a real person who was a devoted follower of Christ and protector of those in need. I love this Comparison of Santa Claus and St Nicholas on the website! (And it makes me all the happier with C.S. Lewis's inclusion of him in LWW, which of course has been one of the more controversial aspects of the book since even before it was published.)
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 08, 2019 7:42 pm

10th December, i.e. tomorrow, marks another anniversary: the 100th anniversary of the completion of The Greatest Race, held in 1919, a race from London to Australia & a significant milestone in aviation history, when it was won by Ross & Keith Smith. They said on TV that if it wasn't for this success, other further aviation feats would not have been possible, including the eventual space race.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Courtenay » Dec 09, 2019 5:03 am

Wow, I hadn't heard about that, Wagga — just found there's a website devoted to it here: The 1919 Great Air Race

I guess we don't often stop to think about what amazing achievements these early long-distance flights were and how much we owe to those brave pioneers who proved it was possible. :)
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 26, 2019 3:58 am

Yes those magnificent men (& women) in their flying machines must have been heroic in the extreme. Meanwhile in this thread there are three other dates to remember.

1. Christmas Day, 25th December, 1974. Cyclone Tracey flattens the city of Darwin.

2. The fifteenth anniversary of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami which created havoc from Indonesia to India, from Sri Lanka to Singapore, & Thailand, Malaysia & even affected tides along the Western Australian coastline. This tsunami was triggered by a 9.0 earthquake off the coast of Aceh in Sumatra, & caused millions of deaths.

3. The thirtieth anniversary of the 1989 Newcastle (NSW) earthquake, on the 28th December.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 29, 2020 2:57 am

I posted on what in Australia, & in other countries in the world, is called Boxing Day, 26th December.

A month later, I have avoided the obvious ongoing Australian Save the Dates of January 1st, not only New Year's Day, but also the anniversary of our original Federation Day of 1st January, 1901, plus the normal Australia Day of January 26th.

I hope coracle won't mind if I nominate Waitangi Day, 6th February, a date which not only defined New Zealand's history, and which remains its national day, but also defines in many ways Australian history, from its inception, on the 26th January, 1788, to its Federation of 1st January, 1901, and right up to now.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Cleander » Feb 04, 2020 4:32 am

Well, besides being the day that a certain rodent prophecies the end of winter, ;)) , February 2nd marks the anniversary of the decisive battle of Mortimer's Cross in 1461, in which the armies of Richard of York defeated the Lancastrian forces during the famous War(s) of the Roses.
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Feb 06, 2020 9:27 pm

During this week in 1971, Apollo 14 became the third successful lunar landing mission.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ryadian » Mar 21, 2020 9:45 am

Today is World Down Syndrome day, by virtue of it being 3/21 or 21/3 (referring to 3 copies of the 21st chromosome). :) Today is very near and dear to my heart since my older brother has Down Syndrome and he has brought so much joy to our lives.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby stargazer » May 16, 2020 11:26 pm

May 17 (Syttende Mai) is Norway's national day, commemorating the signing of its constitution back in 1814. There is enough of a Norwegian population in Minnesota that (at least when I was growing up decades ago) there were some parades and celebrations in some of the small towns nearby.
stargazer

Postby aileth » May 18, 2020 8:44 am

'Tis forty years since Mount St Helens blew her top.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

PreviousNext