This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Sep 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Autumn began gloriously here today, with clear skies and comfortable temperatures, a nice break from the recent heat. I celebrated with a campfire and stargazing session at a local park; it was such a nice evening to be outside!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 07, 2019 6:42 pm

The weather now feels like fall here. It's absolutely lovely with highs in the low 70Fs/upper 60Fs. My son, who hates hot weather, is now playing outdoors again (YAY!!!).

But the entire midwest has quite the big winter system bearing down on us towards the end of the week. My location is JUST OUTSIDE the predicted snow line (and even if we did get snow our high that day is in the mid 50Fs so no accumulation). But we will be on the brink of our first freeze overnight with a predicted low of 34F.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Oct 08, 2019 9:10 pm

We're on the east edge of that same storm, and there's talk of rain mixing with snow that could accumulate a little bit. But the Dakotas and Montana sound like the big "winners" with a foot (300mm) or more of the white stuff.

Ahead of that system we have south winds bringing unseasonably warm weather for a few days, with highs reaching a toasty 70F/21C - nice for fall color viewing and just being outside before winter begins.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 09, 2019 11:33 am

This morning as I hustled the kids out the door to go to their gymnastics class, it was raining and 53F. That was a bit of a shock to the system. :))
But the rain has moved to the east now and the sun is out and my girls were outside for quite a while after lunch. It's been great having the kids outside to get some fresh air again. :D Though I think my youngest is going to take after me because she kept telling me she wants it warm again. :)) My other two prefer this cooler Fall weather.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 10, 2019 10:30 pm

Sounds like all is well with the world weather-wise.

It is raining down here, not for the first time in October. It isn't drought-breaking, but I'm not complaining. [-( I wouldn't dare. :-$ . Though there have been some hot days, & some horrific bushfires up north, the weather has stayed rather cool, for this time of year. Morning temperatures at 6.00 am are about 11 degrees Celsius, though by midday it can be up above 30 degrees. Not today, when the maximum was more like 18 degrees C. We will wait and see what happens.....
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Oct 12, 2019 6:26 pm

We're on the edge of that big storm that dumped tons of snow northwest of here, so we've had scattered snow flurries yesterday and today. There was a dusting on the grass this morning but it soon disappeared. The winds continue, bringing wind chills below 32F/0C.

And many of the trees are still green. ;))
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 28, 2019 6:56 am

That storm is supposed to get her tomorrow night. We're predicted to have freezing rain and snow, though I doubt we'll get much accumulation. It should move out of here on November 1 and then warm up again this upcoming weekend.

Halloween is looking pretty chilly. My kids may just be giant bundles of fabric as they go from door to door. LOL
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Oct 28, 2019 9:24 pm

They're encouraging coats and the like for Halloween here as well. Temperatures that evening will be around freezing with a chance of snow flurries. (There is a more significant snowstorm expected but right now its track is south of here, through central Iowa and Illinois. It may be the continuation of the same one you mentioned, fantasia).

This past weekend was glorious, with sunny skies and temperatures around 60F/16C. Just right for one last fall color tour and bonfire. It may be 5 months before it's that warm here again. ;))
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 31, 2019 8:00 am

Got about half an inch of snow last night. Enough for the kids to run outside, catch a couple snowflakes on their tongues and throw some snowballs before coming in and drinking hot cocoa. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 01, 2019 1:21 am

fantasia wrote:Got about half an inch of snow last night. Enough for the kids to run outside, catch a couple snowflakes on their tongues and throw some snowballs before coming in and drinking hot cocoa. ;))

When you posted (in Kansas?) it was exactly 1.00 am 1/11/2019 here in Oz. :D Your weather sounds appropriate & gorgeous for Halloween. But here, Halloween had been & gone. Halloween, yesterday evening, was hot, humid & with poor air quality due to a horrible bunch of bushfires with a tragic loss of many koalas in a thriving nature reserve on the north coast, of New South Wales, & smoke & haze going up as far as Shanghai in China. I hope there were some survivors, after all & that we can rebuild somehow. People in the area are looking for them to help. :(

For Halloween, otherwise known as Samhain in Celtic languages, we hung in the archway of our veranda a crafty sort of witch on a spider-bespattered broomstick we've had for decades, nicknamed Esmeralda, grabbed a trick torch with your choice of spooky ghostly sounds & doled out small paper patty cake moulds full of loose lollies, smarties, jelly snakes & wrapped freddo frogs, mini Cadbury chocolates, plus Aussie favourites like fantales, or minties. The alleged trick or treat visitors were mostly small children kit out in fancy dress, in groups supervised by their mothers. By nightfall when the older children started to arrive we were cleaned out of lollies so closed up shop & took down our trashy broomstick rider for another year. So much for an Aussie Halloween, but then there are other festivities anyway & the older children are to be encouraged to concentrate on final exams at this time of the academic year. :| The Hindu festival of Diwali is also being held currently, even though Halloween holds pride of place in shop merchandise & their staff were dressed in fetchingly appropriate witchy attire. Tomorrow we are going to Campbelltown's Fisher's Ghost parade, the most famous ghost in all of Australia. Tuesday is Melbourne Cup day, & also in UK it will be Guy Fawkes Day. I hope you all had a nice time.

Samhain is, after all, the festival which marks half-way between the Autumn Equinox & the Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Nov 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Halloween was very typical here, weather-wise, with some light snow falling in the morning. (Trivia note: the warmest Halloween on record here came in 1950, with a high of 83F/28C. The average high is 10C).

Snow is likely the next few days, though the main event is to our south. Colder air will follow this weekend, with temperatures continuing well below average. Our recent trend of autumn lasting into November didn't hold this year.
stargazer

Postby Cleander » Nov 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Halloween was a cold windy one this year, more conducive to the so-called "Spirit" of Halloween than to the celebration of it. (Very few trick-or-treaters out.)

The next few days look to be a roller coaster of temperatures ranging from the low 70's to the mid 30's. I'm still holding out for snow later this winter, though the forecasts seem to be only begrudgingly hinting at some sprinklings of it in February. (Pah!) X(

(Hope those koalas are doing OK now, wagga! I keep forgetting that Australia has the opposite seasons as the U.S. )
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm

I don't know yet how the koalas are, :( & the bushfire season will only get worse since it isn't officially summer yet. But thanks for asking. It is sometimes too easy to forget what wildfires/bushfires do to wildlife as well as demolishing people's homes & livelihoods. We got quite a decent drop of rain which actually crossed the state last Sunday, bringing some of the outback towns their best rainfall in seven years, but it soon stopped. We could do with a lot more rain, but at the Fisher's Ghost festival last weekend they featured the organisations in the area who work for flood relief, as well as the local fire brigades. It has been warmer of late, though not too warm yet, around 30 degrees C max, which isn't too bad so far. I hope up North, you are having nice cold autumns as scheduled. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Nov 14, 2019 6:40 am

fantasia wrote:Got about half an inch of snow last night. Enough for the kids to run outside, catch a couple snowflakes on their tongues and throw some snowballs before coming in and drinking hot cocoa.

Love it! :D

Oooh, wagga, I sure hope much more rain comes soon for y'all.

Hallowe'en for us was very blustery. The rain let up, unexpectedly, for a couple of hours right when the kids were out trick or treating, so that was timely. Still, it was very windy, cold, and wet on the roads and paths as they trudged along.

Autumn came late for us this year and was abruptly cut short by Winter. Within a week or so we went from glorious coloured leaves still mostly on the trees to a winter snowstorm. Records were set this past Monday and Tuesday as the temperatures plummeted and the snow kept falling—records for both temps and snowfall for those particular days. For example, the daytime temp on Monday, November 11, was -5C; the last record set was -0.9C in 1977!

The forecast is for a tad of a warm-up (a wee bit above freezing) over the weekend and into next week, and, I must admit, it will be sad to see the white stuff go. I was hoping this was stay (and be added to over and over again) until early April. :P No doubt, though, in another few weeks it will be back.
:)
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Nov 14, 2019 10:48 am

We've had a dusting of snow lately; it's kind of pretty on the leaves that still need to be raked up. ;)

Jo, we also tied a record for cold on Monday. The daytime high was 18F/-8C, tying the record for that date, set in 1986. Another reason to salute those volunteers who stayed out for hours showing the transit of Mercury to the public!

Our weekend temperatures will rise above freezing but will still be below average. It's a measure of how cool this month has been that people are looking forward to it.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Nov 15, 2019 11:14 am

Quite the weather, indeed, stargazer!

I just heard that parts of southern and SW Ontario were as cold as the Arctic Bay area (near Baffin Island) this week! :-o And tonight we are setting a low temperature record again, as it drops to -13C/8.6F, with much colder wind chills. Flurries have fallen off and on to slightly add to the accumulation of snow, but those will diminish this weekend. I am mighty curious to see if we will lose all this snow before official winter arrives, or if it is now here to stay until spring.
;))
johobbit

PreviousNext