Writer's World

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: Writer's World

Postby Phill Lytle » Aug 27, 2019 8:02 am

I've been writing for a long time, mostly non-fiction articles and things of that nature. Recently, I've been testing the waters with short stories, trying to work up the courage to tackle something on a much bigger scale.

I recently posted/published a short story over at the website I help manage. I don't have a lot of avenues to share my writing, so I figured I would share it with you lovely people here. The last time I posted something I wrote with this group, the response was very kind. Hopefully at least a few of you will enjoy this little story.

http://ramblingeveron.com/2019/08/27/the-invitation/
"Every tear will be redeemed in the hands of God." - J.J. Heller

Rambling Ever On - Finding Truth, Beauty, and Joy in Life
Phill Lytle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Geekicheep » Aug 30, 2019 11:50 am

Hey, Phill Lytle, thanks for sharing! It's always nice to meet another blogger and writer. Your blog has an even wider variety of topics than mine, and that's saying something (and that's a good thing IMO)! I do a lot of nonfiction stuff too, mostly related to technology or hockey; my blog has a third topic, a catch-all "all things geeky" (which works great when I want to write something about fiction or share a story, or thoughts on a movie etc.). But you have everything from theology to sports to news and I don't know what else. Very cool! :)

Now as far as your story is concerned, it's not exactly my thing, but I really like the format! Right from the start, we get a sense that this story takes place in another time, back when people wrote letters on paper instead of a keyboard, back when people actually spoke with that more formal tone. I must admit I only got four or five paragraphs into it, but it feels very real. It's as if I were actually reading some family's letters, which is not something I've seen in a story before. I'm sure it's been done, but from my perspective it's a really cool, unique way to tell a story. My only suggestion has nothing to do with content - I would suggest not using that squiggly font. Sure it looks more like handwriting, but I found that font very hard to read. I had to copy it into a text editor to get past "Dear Mary". :)

Anyway, keep up the good work! I'll be checking out this blog of yours again soon.
Yes, I'm a mouse... I mean, a geek!
Geekicheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Phill Lytle » Sep 03, 2019 6:31 am

Thanks, Geekicheep for the kind words! We really went back and forth on the font. We wanted it to look like actual handwritten letters. I'm sorry it was hard for you to read. I haven't heard anyone else have an issue with that, but it's possible it has been a problem for a few.

I would like to encourage you to read the whole thing. I think you will appreciate the story as a whole better if you finish it.

Again, thanks for the comment. I'll have to check out your blog as well. (Rambling Ever On - my site - is a collaborative work by a handful of friends. It's definitely not a one person show. I could not handle that kind of workload!)
"Every tear will be redeemed in the hands of God." - J.J. Heller

Rambling Ever On - Finding Truth, Beauty, and Joy in Life
Phill Lytle
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous