This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

fairs, State, and County

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: fairs, State, and County

Postby fantasia » Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Well, I wouldn't say priceless, those wristbands are quite pricey, but we certainly get our money's worth out of them hahaha!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Grandmama » Jun 10, 2019 10:01 am

It's summertime and my thoughts that aren't concerned with gardening or camping are turning to State Fair entries! I have a wall quilt that I plan to enter. I'd like to enter 2 things, but the garden is still taking up a lot of my time, so I may have to be content with just one.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » Aug 10, 2019 9:15 am

This morning I brought my "Creative Activities" entry to the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. It feels strange to be able to drive onto the fairgrounds and to see the grounds without the throngs of people.

It was fun talking to other contributors while standing in line. I did notice that most the people were my age or older. It would be great to see more young people entering their work. Personally, it took me a long time to be convinced that my work was worth entering--an attitude that I think was false. I should have had more confidence in my work.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Aug 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Just registered my kiddos for pretty much everything in the art departement...and LEGOs. ;)) Oh, and Evan wanted to make brownies.
I doubt we'll be this ambitious, but it's free to register now, and I figure I may as well leave all the options open. ;)

The hubs is going to register tonight. I'll probably take a pass this year and focus on helping my kids. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Aug 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Sounds like a fun -and busy - time, fantasia.

Good luck on your entry, Grandmama. If I'm able to make it over to Creative Activities I'll look for it (my knee will likely hinder the usual trek around the fairgrounds).

Hard to believe it's almost fair time already. Where has the year gone?

And as often seems to happen, there's one big last burst of heat around fair time, with temps expected to be close to 90F/32C next week (rather warm, by local standards, for this late in the summer).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Grandma. If I may ask, what did you enter? I have a sibling who also entered something this year. He had already entered it into the county fair. I must admit entering that building is one of the highlights of the day. I compleatly forgot about LEGOs fantasia. Now I have an excuse to look for them.
The Mrs., and I plan on attending this year, and we missed out on entering some photos of our trip to Yellowstone, and Glacier, ( such is the forgetfulness ). We have been doing some canning, and I think next year we might try some jam.
A yes, the heat. Just a reminder to us all stargazer to remain hydrated #:-s
While all the sugary drinks are tempting, they do nothing for us in the long run.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Grandmama » Aug 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Yes, you may ask. :)

I entered a quilted wall hanging called "Christmas Star". It is black, red, green and gold with a pieced star in the center and some appliqued poinsettias around the outside.

What day do you plan to attend? I will probably be there Monday, the 26th since my grandkids will be at our house on opening day and I avoid weekends like the plague. However, you can view the results online so I won't have to wait 5 days to find out if it placed.
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 17, 2019 6:27 pm

We hope to be there this weekend. But you know how "best laid plans" go. Might have a tornado, or traffic jam. We haven't had an earthquake lately.
But. We do plan on attending no matter what calamity may befall us. And I shall make a effort to look for your entry. Best of luck!
I just mentioned it to the Mrs., while sitting here, and she asked me to cpy the discription for her. She has lately caught "the quilting bug" as she calls it after making one for the offspring last year. So it is set in stone. We shall be looking. ;)
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Grandmama » Aug 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Today was my day at "the Great Minnesota Get Together" AKA, the State Fair. I went early to avoid the crowds and managed to not have to stand in any long lines! Had some yummy fair food (a waffle folded around marinated pork, pineapple, salsa and onions) and some so-so fair food (blueberry key lime pie in a graham cracker crust). I spent most of my time admiring gorgeous quilts, wood working, stained glass, embroidery, etc in the Creative Activities building.

It started raining in the afternoon, but by then I was ready to go home, so it was a good day all around.

After spending close to 2 hours admiring all the handiwork, once I got home, I started working on an entry for next year! ;;)
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Aug 29, 2019 12:04 am

You picked a great day to go, Grandmama! The weather was nice for most of your visit, and it was one of the few days this year that have not set new attendance records.

The weather is unusually pleasant for this run of the fair, for the most part, and while some years it hits 90F/32C, this year it may not even make it to 80F/27C.

I'm not sure which day I'll be attending but they all look nice weather-wise, which probably means this upcoming weekend will be really crowded.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Sep 02, 2019 5:09 pm

I attended the "Great Minnesota Get-Together" yesterday with over 245,000 of my closest friends. ;)) And that figure was with some rain showers that might have kept some people away. We've talked among ourselves that they should look into extending the fair to spread out the crowds, but imagine that might be a problem with vendors having a tight schedule of various fairs to attend.

I made fewer stops than usual since my knees put up a serious fight, but it was still a fun time.

One minor fun thing that happened, unrelated to time at the fair: the park-and-ride buses are popular since they allow you to avoid the packed parking lots. While waiting for our bus to finish loading, the bus radio was playing "Bohemian Rhapsody." About half a dozen people in the bus sang along, harmonies and everything. I was impressed at how good the impromptu "bus ride karaoke" sounded.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Sep 15, 2019 6:37 pm

Wrapped up our busy State Fair week this week.
My son got a blue ribbon for his brownies, which was very exciting for them (I think there were three entries, so there's that. ;)) )
Did loads of rides on Tuesday (bracelet day!) while my parents ran my youngest through all of the animal barns.
Ate all the junk food of course....
So yeah! We had a great time. :D

Though my husband and I were saying that in the years to come we need to make our time there more efficient because we'd try to go to one thing one child wanted, followed by another thing the second child wanted, and they'd be at the opposite ends of the fairgrounds. :)) We'll have to remember that for next year. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Cleander » Sep 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Went to a county fair last Thursday- the first time I'd been to one in 13 years! :-o
Overall it was pretty good, though the fairs we get around here tend to be of the "let's make an amusement park and stick a few animals in the back" variety. This one was no exception, but I'm a total kid, so I'm not gonna complain about getting ice cream and riding the Ferris Wheel! :D
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Grandmama » Sep 16, 2019 7:40 pm

fantasia wrote:Wrapped up our busy State Fair week this week.
My son got a blue ribbon for his brownies, which was very exciting for them (I think there were three entries, so there's that. ;)) )

Congrats to your son!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous