This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ideal Filming Locations for Netflix

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Ideal Filming Locations for Netflix

Postby Cleander » Aug 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi guys, I was just recently wondering about what the best locations to film the next Narnia series might be. I know New Zealand was kind of a favorite for fantasy films, but I wonder if more filming could be done elsewhere, and what specific spots would best embody Narnia.
Right now all I can think is that I'd want the Silver Chair filmed in the highlands of Scotland, and that Dragon Island should be filmed in a fjord, as the book describes (so perhaps Norway?) I know Gymfan once mentioned seeing waterfalls in Croatia that seemed like they were straight out of The Last Battle (I'm also part Croatian, so that would be interesting to see! :D ) Overall, filming in Europe more would also open the possibility for filming in real castles, so that might help as well.
C.S. Lewis also drew a lot of inspiration from his native Irish landscape, so really "faithful" filmmakers might want to check that out.
So what do you think? Do you have a specific spot in mind for a specific scene? A country? A certain type of scenery that you're not sure of the whereabouts of? 8-}
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Ideal Filming Locations for Netflix

Postby narnia fan 7 » Aug 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Somewhere other than New Zealand.

It's a beautiful country, but I think it would be a good idea to film somewhere else in order to help give the Netflix productions a different visual feel from the Walden movies. Which I'm fine with.
Plus the Amazon LOTR show is going to be primarily shot in New Zealand, so there might not be enough room for Narnia anyway.

I don't really have any particular country I'd want them to film in. Scotland and Ireland do sound interesting though.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Monty Jose » Aug 21, 2019 8:57 am

I like the idea of Scotland and Ireland. I also think some parts of Asia would have beautiful scenery, especially China with their mountains.

I would like to see Archenland, Narnia, and Ettinsmoor have their own feel.
https://www.instagram.com/_montyjose_art/
Monty Jose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Reepicheep775 » Aug 21, 2019 4:01 pm

How about Canada? Perhaps I'm biased, but it really is beautiful here and there is a lot of variety in landscapes. And there's so much room! We are the second largest country, but we have one of the lowest population densities on earth. Not to mention, it would be perfect for filming a country locked in a Hundred Year Winter. ;)

I think Ireland would be a good choice too. I know that Lewis was creatively inspired by his childhood home and I think the Irish landscape is the closest to what I imagine Narnia looking like.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Cleander » Aug 22, 2019 9:23 am

Reepicheep775 wrote:How about Canada? Perhaps I'm biased, but it really is beautiful here and there is a lot of variety in landscapes. And there's so much room! We are the second largest country, but we have one of the lowest population densities on earth. Not to mention, it would be perfect for filming a country locked in a Hundred Year Winter. ;)

Oh yes, Canada could be awesome, especially the Yukon! I went up that way once (near Toronto, not the Yukon) and I saw what you mean about the amount of room!)There's also more beavers there... :D
I guess North America just isn't an immediate choice for fantasy films for whatever reason. Though now that I think of it, there is a twin-peaked mountain out in Colorado called Cathedral Spires, that might make a good stand-in for Mount Pire:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=cathedra ... 6490987429
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby decarus » Aug 22, 2019 1:49 pm

I think Canada is a good idea too. I wouldn't want the show to have the issues that British shows can have and I think of like the woods scenes in Once Upon a Time. I think there is a lot of great places that they could have for that show. They might do each show in different places because the settings are quite different, but for LWW I like the idea of Canada or for Narnia in MN for that matter.

It might be harder to find England locations up there though. I am not really sure. Like Digory's house or the run of old looking brownstones from MN.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Aug 22, 2019 2:10 pm

One of the values of filming English looking places in other countries is finding more old fashioned streets, or scenery without modern tech features all over it (electrical wires and poles, telephone poles, roading etc).
NZ has a good store of these, and so do a number of countries.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Cleander » Oct 09, 2019 2:24 pm

I was recently reminded of the potential that the Country of Georgia (the one south of Russia, not the American state) has for being a good shooting location for Narnia. It's mostly mountainous terrain along the southern half of it, with plenty of green, forested valleys, cool looking boulders and rock formations, and pretty snowy winters. AND it's near the Black Sea, which could serve as a good place to film Cair Paravel scenes!
Thoughts anyone?
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Reepicheep775 » Oct 10, 2019 10:08 am

Cleander wrote:I was recently reminded of the potential that the Country of Georgia (the one south of Russia, not the American state) has for being a good shooting location for Narnia. It's mostly mountainous terrain along the southern half of it, with plenty of green, forested valleys, cool looking boulders and rock formations, and pretty snowy winters. AND it's near the Black Sea, which could serve as a good place to film Cair Paravel scenes!
Thoughts anyone?

Georgia actually looks really close to how I picture Archenland. It looks like the perfect place to film the second half of HHB!

Also, of my two original choices for Narnia itself, I think I am now leaning more towards Ireland. New Zealand Narnia was beautiful, and Canada Narnia would be too, but I think this new series should make Narnia feel smaller and cozier. Less sweeping shots and massive landscapes.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Cleander » Oct 10, 2019 10:21 am

Reepicheep775 wrote:Georgia actually looks really close to how I picture Archenland. It looks like the perfect place to film the second half of HHB!

Also, of my two original choices for Narnia itself, I think I am now leaning more towards Ireland. New Zealand Narnia was beautiful, and Canada Narnia would be too, but I think this new series should make Narnia feel smaller and cozier. Less sweeping shots and massive landscapes.

Huh, come to think of it, there are places in Georgia that resemble the pass between Narnia and Archenland, so there may be something in that!
Ireland could be good, only I'm not sure how many mountains they have there. Narnia is in a broad valley, so they'd have to find one in Ireland. Though I must say Ireland's many castles make it a tempting choice!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby NarnianHobbit » Oct 10, 2019 6:58 pm

I'd absolutely agree that The Silver Chair really ought to be filmed in the Scottish Highlands!
For that matter, a blustery boat ride near Kintyre was as near as I'll ever come to a "Dawntreader experience," and I think that area (as well as any of the Orkney islands) would make amazing settings for VotDT.
NarnianHobbit
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby JFG II » Oct 11, 2019 9:45 am

Ideal Filming Locations for Netflix:

3. Diverse locations in Europe. (New Zealand is wonderful but it’s being used ALL the time now for movies.)

2. Find cool locations in the Americas too. Canada could double for the far north if the right location is found. Narnia is a West coast country on the maps. Puddleglum lives in a marshy area and filming could go for a marshy American area (D.C. it’s marshy believe me haha). Also, I’ve always imagined the Calormen country side as having a Southern feel to it. Not a desert country but dryer, warmer like Texas or even Mexico. (No, Calormen does NOT represent Hispanic countries... Please, No one come to that shallow conclusion.) Speaking of dryer climates...

1. ANYWHERE OUTSIDE CALIFORNIA: No offense meant, but I don’t want Narnia sets filmed in L.A., BURBANK, etc, because L.A. is Hollywood domain, and I don’t want Narnia to feel Hollywood-ized this time. BURBANK etc. is fine for VFX but not for filming Narnia.

That’s my shfeel.
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Cleander » Oct 11, 2019 12:51 pm

I like that more people are beginning to suggest American/Western Hemisphere locations. I feel like those do get ignored when it comes to fantasy movies (possibly because they're all going for that medieval European look) but there are a lot of "magical" places in America as well. The Rockies in the wintertime would make an awesome Northern mountains location!
I've only been through the D.C. area once, so I'm not sure what the marshes look like over there; however, I suspect that what Lewis meant when talking about the Marshes was less like the American swamp, with trees growing out of the water, and more like the British Fens. So basically the same kind of scenery as in the BBC Silver Chair movie.
I'm not sure about Calormen being in the Southwest of the US or even Mexico, simply because there are way too many canyons and plateaus out there which don't quite fit the books' descriptions. Calormen is also a moderately vegetated country, dryer in the north of it before you reach Archenland, but with greener, more forested hill country to the south around where Shasta lives with Arsheesh. Turkey or North Africa are the best choices in my opinion.
And YES! KEEP NARNIA OUT OF CALIFORNIA!! :ymapplause:
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby NarnianHobbit » Oct 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Yeah, I think my mental Calormen has always had a lot of Morocco in it, or maybe a bit of Jordan. Going a different direction entirely, though, I think parts of Mongolia could work beautifully! The Flaming Cliffs area for the desert scenes, for example. Northern Mongolia would be beautiful for some of the travel scenes in the Silver Chair.

By all means, stay far from LA and Burbank! Northern CA, though, has all sorts of possibilities, with otherworldly forests and rolling hills...
I'd put Wyoming in the mix, as well.
NarnianHobbit
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby jewel » Oct 15, 2019 8:44 am

Do United Kingdom! It's the homeland of Jack! Especially Northern England or Scotland would be nice locations for filming.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SilverSea » Oct 15, 2019 9:42 pm

I bet the Dawn Treader episodes will be filmed on some studio water tank like how the 2010 movie was supposed to be done.

I'd prefer if the series was filmed on location instead of a studio. Studio sets tend to look extremely soundstage-y in the final product. Granted that kind of aesthetic worked for the Series of Unfortunate Events TV series since it had a stylized fakeness to it, but Narnia has to look real.
SilverSea
NarniaWeb Nut

Next