This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby Kalta79 » Jul 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Yeah it's like World of Warcraft, but um...not. They're totally separate online fantasy RPG games/fandoms. Kinda like how some people try to lump Star Wars and Star Trek together. I was naughty and started to download WoW trial today on wifi at cafe and library, but I um...didn't know it would be 60gigs, have to wait on that til I free up more space on my laptop.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jul 12, 2019 4:34 pm

It's funny, I never got into World of Warcraft, even though I enjoy fantasy. I guess it didn't look medieval enough. Whereas playing Skyrim is like basically living out the epic of Beowulf. B-)
Found out something interesting about Skyrim recently. Christopher Plummer actually voiced some of the characters :-o :-o , as did Jim Cummings (better known as the voice of Winnie the Pooh ;) ). I'm gonna listen more carefully when the NPC's talk, knowing that!
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jul 14, 2019 8:36 am

I like fantasy games(and books) myself too, sci-fi frequently gets too technical and doesn't focus on the characters enough for me. I do like it when there are familiar voices in games I play. I remember reading Beowulf story in school but I don't remember much about it, the Xena Norse trilogy episodes I remember better...

Should have more time for gaming this coming week. Maybe.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jul 15, 2019 2:23 pm

I read Beowulf, or the bulk thereof, a loooooooooooooong time ago in school (okay, so maybe it was really like seven years ago). It's like Skyrim in that it has... dragons. And a hero who goes on mighty quests to slay them (though without any "shouting" involved.)
The words to the main theme song of Skyrim are also inspired by portions of Beowulf, or so I've heard. I'm guessing that means the English version, not the dragon-tongue lyrics. :D
I've actually never heard of the Xena Norse trilogy before. Is that a more recent writing, perchance?
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Jul 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Cleander wrote:Everquest? Never heard of it. Assuming it's also an RPG?

Well, you just gave away your age. ;))
Everquest was the original huge MMORPG. I never played it. I might have if I had been a few years older.
For about four years I was HUGELY into WoW. I loved that game. I still miss it. But I would safely say it was an addiction for me and once I finally stopped playing it I swore I would never go back. Not to that, not to any other game with that level of involvement.
As for Skyrim, the world was TOO open for me. I found it overwhelming and boring. I know some people who absolutely adore it though.

Just to add, I am looking forward to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. My husband and I played the second one, really enjoyed it, and now that we have kids, I hope to make it a family video game (probably when they're a bit older though ;) ).
It's a good thing I played the second MUA before the movies were in full swing or else I'd be too Marveled out to even consider this one. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Cleander » Jul 15, 2019 3:20 pm

fantasia wrote:
Cleander wrote:Everquest? Never heard of it. Assuming it's also an RPG?

Well, you just gave away your age. ;))

Lol! I guess a youngster like me wouldn't be quite as familiar with such ancient works. =))

As for Skyrim, the world was TOO open for me. I found it overwhelming and boring. I know some people who absolutely adore it though.

I'm not one of those people...yet, so I guess I'm still able to understand why you'd find it boring, especially if you don't know what your goals are. I guess what attracts me is that you aren't necessarily constrained by preset goals... so you can make up your OWN goals, and do whatever crazy thing you want. Which to me is fun.
I don't mind if people don't like Skyrim. I ignored it for 8 years, after all, and there are still elements of the game that I don't like, which is fine, because I can avoid them.
Just don't start hating on Age of Empires. Then we're gonna have problems. ;)
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jul 15, 2019 7:08 pm

The Norse trilogy was an episode arc in the sixth season of Xena, the tv show.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby shastastwin » Jul 15, 2019 7:51 pm

fantasia wrote:Just to add, I am looking forward to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. My husband and I played the second one, really enjoyed it, and now that we have kids, I hope to make it a family video game (probably when they're a bit older though ;) ).
It's a good thing I played the second MUA before the movies were in full swing or else I'd be too Marveled out to even consider this one. ;)

I played both of the earlier installments in this series on the Wii and loved them. I'm excited there's going to be a third one, but sad I likely won't get to it for a long while. (We are currently and for the foreseeable future a Switch-less household.)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Arwenel » Jul 23, 2019 12:38 am

I really enjoyed Skyrim, but it's been awhile since i've played it.

Has anyone here played or even just heard of Fallen London? It's a browser RPG game that i've been playing for months now. One of my characters just started a particular storyline, Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name, which ends with your character's account becoming unplayable. :-o I don't know how many people choose to pursue it nonetheless, but i've heard so much about it i made a character specifically to play it. I'm interested to see how it's going to go.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby artsky » Aug 09, 2019 2:31 am

Arwenel wrote:I really enjoyed Skyrim, but it's been awhile since i've played it.

Has anyone here played or even just heard of Fallen London? It's a browser RPG game that i've been playing for months now. One of my characters just started a particular storyline, Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name, which ends with your character's account becoming unplayable. :-o I don't know how many people choose to pursue it nonetheless, but i've heard so much about it i made a character specifically to play it. I'm interested to see how it's going to go.

Skyrim is so addictive, especially with mods.
I don't play any browser games since 2014, I prefer single-player games mostly.
artsky
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Geekicheep » Aug 09, 2019 10:32 am

It's interesting to hear the kinds of games you guys are into; I play video games, but they're all 20-30 years old. When I think fantasy games, I think Zelda or Final Fantasy or Astynax. Sci-fi is Metroid, Gallaga, Space Invaders etc. Once games went 3D, I figured it would be easier and more fun to just learn to build my own (and it was). :D

Now over on the Narnia Merchandise thread, we were talking about a Narnia-themed version of the board game Risk, and I thought it might be cool to try and create one. So let me ask you this: what platforms (consoles, mobile, PC etc.) do you guys like to play on? Games have come a long way since the classics (lol) so it would to get your thoughts on the subject.
Yes, I'm a mouse... I mean, a geek!
Geekicheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SirVincentofNarnia » Aug 09, 2019 6:42 pm

I play on PC and the games I play are the Assassins Creed franchise and Paradox grand strategies, I am really into historical games
Let us go on and take the adventure that shall fall to us
-Queen Susan
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

People are quick to judge but slow to correct themselves
-Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
SirVincentofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SirVincentofNarnia » Aug 09, 2019 6:50 pm

There is a Paradox grand strategy, a medieval kingdom manager of sorts called Crusader Kings 2 and there is a mod called Narnian Kings, with 2 or 3 people who are working on it and giving ideas for it and I have had the honor of being apart of that team! The mod has a ton of characters we all know and enjoy but still has a lot of work to be done.
Let us go on and take the adventure that shall fall to us
-Queen Susan
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

People are quick to judge but slow to correct themselves
-Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
SirVincentofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Kalta79 » Aug 12, 2019 10:02 am

I got a smartphone for my birthday and have been playing silly games I downloaded on it.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Aug 12, 2019 10:10 am

I don't get much time to play video games anymore. Just too busy with kids. The only one I play with any regularity is Mousehunt (used to only be via FB, but that's not required anymore), and then occasionally something like Mario Kart or Smash Brothers with my kids.

Speaking of 80s/90s games, I fired up Shining Force the other day to show my daughter. I think she liked it, but hasn't asked to see it again. ;))

My husband and I just got Marvel Superhero Alliance 3 for the Switch a few weeks ago. We played up through the Sandman (just barely past the opening of the game) and have been too busy to continue since! LOL
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Cleander » Aug 12, 2019 2:57 pm

I play on PC. Mostly I do historical strategy games (like Civilization and Age of Empires) and first-person single player games (like Skyrim and a few of the Cabela's Big Game Hunter games.) I guess if it involves epic battles or cool scenery, I'm in. Which would make me a likely consumer for a Narnia Risk game. ;)
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext