Real life Narnia experiences

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Real life Narnia experiences

Postby johobbit » Aug 03, 2019 11:33 am

For the past few years since I have been swimming 3x/week, I thought about starting this topic—something you have experienced in real life that reminds you of something in Narnia.

Mine is this: At the end of each invigorating swim, I lay on my back and skull towards the shallow end. When I stop skulling, I keep on floating towards the edge, and have realized that as I am smoothly moving along, my body cannot feel the water around me. This vividly reminds me of Aslan blowing Jill and Eustace by his breath to Narnia. I can imagine this could be quite similar to what it was like, for it really feels like I am floating on nothing, yet moving swiftly along. For a few minutes, then, at the conclusion of each length swim, I close my eyes and imagine myself on Aslan's breath, being blown to Narnia. :)

Have you had anything in your life that puts you in strong mind of something in the Chronicles?

Sig by Narnian_Badger :)
johobbit

Re: Real life Narnia experiences

Postby Cleander » Aug 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Well, the last time we had a decent snowstorm, I went out and walked among snow covered trees... until I came to our streetlamp, which just happens to be a lamppost (albeit electric.) It was all very quiet and somehow mysterious, much like Lucy's first Narnian experience in LWW.

PS: Great thread idea! I'm guessing lots of folks on Narniaweb are gonna have stories for this!
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 03, 2019 11:35 pm

My real life Narnia experience was on the April 2015 trip we made to the ANZAC Centenary Commemoration at Gallipoli, near to Istanbul, which we also visited. In a trip to the Grand Bazaar we went down an aisle of that very busy bizarre bazaar where we found a shop window with heaps of silver jewellery, advertising Aslan's Jewellery. Behind us & opposite Aslan's Jewellery was a shop, one of many Turkish delight vendors, in that particular passage, advertising Turkish Delight, in various flavours from the traditional rose water to apricot, lemon, orange & pistachio flavours, as well as other goodies like Baklava or Tabbouleh. On that trip, some of our fellow travellers had also bought there a dress-up outfit for their young daughter, complete with those Turkish-style upturned slippers, that looked stunningly like the one Aravis wore in HHB from Lazaraleen's home to across the desert. It was the sort of outfit with a short bolero style jacket & harem trousers, worn by those girls who lived & worked in the old Topkapi Palace, itself reminiscent of the Tisroc's Palace, including a gate onto the Golden Horn below it. Then on our return to Istanbul, to catch a plane to Paris, the waiter at the small hotel we stayed at was also called Aslan. These days Turkey is no longer the Ottoman empire & is a Republic, headed currently by President Recep Tayyip Erduagan, but Istanbul's pre-WW1 heritage was eerily like how I imagined Calormen.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Aug 04, 2019 4:19 am

Totally, Cleander! When a certain type of snow falls—big, thick, fluffy flakes—my pet name for this is "Narnia snow". :x And my ongoing love for winter only helps. ;)) How cool (in more ways then one ;) ) you had that memorable experience with the streetlamp amidst the snow-covered trees. Whenever it snows, I always look around for a light (yes, albeit electric), because the amazing look of the snow coming down in that warm glow seems definitely LWW Narnian. :D

Wow, those are quite the Narnian experiences, wagga!
B-) :D

Sig by Narnian_Badger :)
johobbit