This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Kalta79 » Jun 13, 2019 11:49 am

Mt. Sinabung? That sounds familiar, maybe when I was investigating/researching volcanic eruptions that caused serious weather issues, like the year without a summer. Or one of the documentaries about Mt. Saint Helens, who knows?

Anyway, weather has been hot here, though last night we had a spectacular thunderstorm. The beginning of it made it seem like it was going to be a duffer, there was like an hour or two delay between the onset and when things got serious. Constant thunder/lightning that terrified our dog, and pouring rain for at least a couple hours. Was right around my bedtime too when it hit, and was so hard to get to sleep, mainly because Scruffy kept wanting to be around me, and would either be on my bed with me or trying to find a place near/under it and it was kinda hot still in my room, so he was panting right next to me constantly from his exertions.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Jun 13, 2019 12:39 pm

Rain is a normal part of life in Britain, but we've had a drier year so far. A wet week has surprised us! But really we know what summers are usually like. This poem was written a long time ago by an unknown author. It applies to Scotland and England,and probably everywhere else in the country too!

RAIN

It rained and it rained and rained and rained,
The average fall was well maintained.
And when the tracks were simply bogs,
It started raining cats and dogs.

After a drought of half an hour
We had a most refreshing shower,
And then the most curious thing of all,
A gentle rain began to fall.

Next day was also fairly dry
Except for the deluge from the sky,
Which wetted the party to the skin.
And after that the rain set in.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » Jun 13, 2019 4:45 pm

I chuckled at that poem, coracle. Some here might say it applies to our overly-wet weather this spring.

Some of those spectacular orange & red sunrises & sunsets, I've been told, also happen when there has been volcanic activity recently.

Very true! I especially remember the June 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo, which apparently ejected the most matter into the atmosphere since Krakatoa in 1883, giving vivid sunset colors. It also cooled the atmosphere around the world (here, the summer of 1992 was cooler than average, with no days reaching 90F/32C, which is unusual despite our reputation for cold weather).

Speaking of cool weather, areas in northern Minnesota reported temperatures around 25F/-4C yesterday, and we're almost to the solstice. ;))

Today was a perfect June day - crystal clear blue skies, no humidity (the dewpoint was only 2C), and a temperature around 70F/21C. Wonderful!

Lastly, I found this report about noctilucent clouds being sighted far outside their usual range (which is the high latitudes). These electric-blue clouds are extremely high in the atmosphere and usually visible only closer to the poles, but of late they've been sighted much farther south, including one sighting from downtown Minneapolis (latitude 45N). I'd like to see these - something I never anticipated seeing without traveling some distance.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Kalta79 wrote:Mt. Sinabung? That sounds familiar, maybe when I was investigating/researching volcanic eruptions that caused serious weather issues, like the year without a summer. Or one of the documentaries about Mt. Saint Helens, who knows?

I might have put this Indonesian volcano, if not Sumatra, on the A-Z of Geography thread. There is the famed "Ring of Fire" around the Pacific Ocean, stretching from above the Kamchatka Peninsula, right across to Alaska, where there was a huge earthquake in 1960 in Anchorage, then down the coastlines of both North America & South America, to Valdivia in Chile or further south. Then across the Pacific to another major fault in the Earth's crust near New Zealand, then upwards where it meets other faults going through Indonesia & up past the Philippines to Japan & beyond. The North American Year without a Summer was in 1816 or thereabouts, & was caused by the eruption of Mt Tambora, again in Indonesia. Believe it or not, this volcanic eruption thus brought my mother's ancestors to Australia, to the fledgeling city of Hobart in Tasmania.

We've had a little rain, so far, but it didn't last. Thank you for the poem, Coracle :) . Twenty two years ago we went to UK. I left without my nice warm winter jacket, was told by my Scottish immigrant husband it was Midsummer in UK so I wouldn't need it. Which is why I found UK's summer that year horribly freezingly cold, no doubt. 8-|
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Cleander » Jun 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Well, the sun keeps coming out and then leaving, and the rain comes in violent spurts that last for about an hour and then peter out. I actually kind of enjoy overcast days, especially on days I go to our nearby swamp (which looks SO COOL on a misty day), but I kind of wish the weather would pick a mood for the day and stick with it. :-\

Who else is missing winter? I've been wanting snow really bad for some reason the last few weeks... and summer hasn't even technically started. I'll probably want it to be summer as soon as the weather turns cold. 8-|
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 19, 2019 7:07 pm

After a drought of half an hour
We had a most refreshing shower,
And then the most curious thing of all,
A gentle rain began to fall.

If only it was even this much for a day or two !!! :ympray: It is winter, here, & freezingly cold for a change. Yes it is passingly overcast, with the very odd drop of rain but you could run around the block between each odd drop. Even a threepenny stamp would stay dry if we still had them. Hardly worth taking in the washing over. The winter solstice will be tomorrow or the next day. Depending on what tomorrow or the next day means to the rest of you in the balmy northern Hemisphere.

Did you know that Antarctica is the driest continent on Earth? All that snow like a humungously large round iced cake, with rocky bits peeping out along the Trans Antarctic mountain range & the inverted ice cream cones of volcanos like Mount Melbourne, & of course Mt Erebus, far closer to the South Pole. Yet it never gets any rain. My husband & I once went there on a Qantas plane, on New Year's Eve, 2006, returning by 6AM the next morning. We were served ice cream near midnight that night. All that snow outside, & that is what everyone wanted to eat.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 19, 2019 7:32 pm

I too enjoyed the poem Coracle. With all the off-and-on precipitation we have been enduring my grass seed has been doing quite well compared to past years. I might just have enough to mow behind the house after near a decade.
The sump pump has finally stopped it's near constant flow since it started in April. As a result some patches of the front lawn have started the seasonal browning. Time to make use of the rain barrels installed this past spring :ymsmug:
the Mrs. did notice something peculiar when she arrived home this afternoon. A yellowish-orange mold, or fungus was growing up in the grass where an old stump had been :-s After a diligent search of the electronic sort I discovered that it was rather harmless #:-s though it might re-occur. I also discovered it was edible. I think I'll pass [-(
More of the wet stuff to fall the next few days. My luck it will continue into next weekend when I have an encampment.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Jun 27, 2019 5:00 am

;)) Great poem, coracle!

This week is the first true week of summer here in terms of the heat and humidity ramping up. Considering we had a cool, wet, late spring, this is quite the shock. :P

With all the rain and periodic sunshine, the gardens are bursting. Although, sad to say, some of the farmers are only getting around to planting their fields now, at least a few weeks later than usual.

There is a chance of thunderstorms over the next few days, with the final two days in our Canada Day long weekend dropping to lower humidity, yay! Good weather for campfires (and fireworks, for those who indulge).
:)
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Jun 30, 2019 12:03 am

After a generally cool spring, the first heat wave of the summer has arrived (at least by northern standards).

Heat index values were close to 95F/35C today and could exceed 105F/41C tomorrow (Sunday). When the dew point closes in on 80F it's humid by any standard.

I was just out to stargaze at 0145 local DST and it is still stifling out there - welcome back to 'air you can wear.'

Big storms tomorrow night may take the edge off the heat and humidity but there is a flood risk. (Training thunderstorms southeast of here the past few days have flooded large areas, closed highways, and even washed away livestock; some areas received about 8 inches/200mm of rain in about 6 hours).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Flooding is what was experienced this morning stargazer. at least in the small scale at the encampment I was attending ( more on that in the appropriate thread ) After the second wave of rain, and wind in a five hour period I, and several others in the field we were in found ourselves standing in several inches of water with lightening strikes coming close enough to cause worry :-s
The ground was saturated from the first deluge, and in any place flat it had nowhere to go. A nearby man made pond rose a few inches I am sure.
The straight line wind took it's toll as well with several tent awnings going down, as well as three tents that I know of.
I know someone in Fargo North Dakota who sent the Mrs., and I a video of what must have been 50+mph wind blowing with heavy rain.
Has any one been watching for the animals traveling two, by two?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Jul 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Well, it's summer. The rain and floods FINALLY left. It's hot. But compared to almost all of the previous years I've lived here, this is a very mild hot. We had a playdate this morning with our homeschool co-op and it was GORGEOUS outside. Almost unheard of for July.

When I look at the extended forecast on accuweather (which may or may not be terribly accurate ;) ) there is not a single 100F+ day on there. Hottest I see is 98F, but most are in the low to mid 90Fs. Not complaining, just very, very surprised.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Kalta79 » Jul 12, 2019 9:18 am

Our nice weather is over, heat is here, in the 80s and heading towards the 90s, but we're coping. Mainly by staying inside for most of the day, I don't do well in the heat anymore. I haven't checked weather forecast lately, not really sure I want to, either! B-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Jul 14, 2019 2:12 pm

The heat is on!

Statistically we're entering our hottest time of year, and after a relatively cool and wet year it's living up to that billing.

It's currently 91F/33C with a heat index of 97F/36C, with several more hours of heating to go. Tomorrow will be even hotter.

Not hot by some standards, but unpleasant for us polar bears!
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Jul 18, 2019 4:21 am

stargazer wrote:The heat is on!

Here too, it sure is! #:-s Tomorrow may be the hottest day of the summer, with an air temperature of 34C/93F, and the heat index sitting swelteringly at 45C/113F. Oh, joy! ;)) Today, I just read, is 91% humidity. :P

We had a long, lovely rainfall all yesterday morning, which was needed, and with this unstable weather now, thunderstorms are likely to develop later each day. We are to get relief from this oppressive weather on Sunday. B-) Thankfully, this is not one of those 10 day, 2 week heat waves that often accompany this hottest of our months. In fact, next week is supposed to be quite comfortable. Quite amazing for us here in July. Sunday through Monday should bring a fair bit more rain, yay!
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Lovely to hear you are sufficiently warm in the middle of summer. :D. Though 45 degrees C does sound a bit too hot for Canada.

Meanwhile, in a continent far away, crossed by the Tropic of Capricorn, in states like Queensland, Northern Territory & Western Australia, up along the Great Dividing Range, as far north as Toowoomba or Kingaroy in Queensland, & even further north, there are temperatures of -10C, -9C, -7C & colder. Your nicely typical North American weather, I presume. Wow! 2C down here, which is a degree colder than yesterday at 7.00 am. Snow in the Snowy mountains actually, which is something to be happy about, the only place where skiing is possible here. But not a trace of a shower, snow or anything else, unfortunately anywhere. Drought is a horrible thing. At least it is too cold for what water storage we have left to evaporate uselessly.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jul 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Sorry to hear about your drought, wagga, but those temperatures sound lovely.

The heat index here today is one of the highest temperatures I've ever experienced, at least here in Minnesota. The high July 19 was 35°C (95°F). With a near-record dew point of 27°C (80°F), the heat index was 46°C (115°F). Whew!

At least the heat will break here soon, unlike areas to the south that may have more days like this.
stargazer

PreviousNext