This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Camping- it's in tents!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Camping- it's in tents!

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Ryadian. If I may put forth my humble suggestion.
If you are looking for a challenge, and are already in the Great State of Minnesota :ymapplause: please consider most anywhere along the North Shore.
Depending on what you are looking for there are a number of activities. Hiking, swimming, fishing, etc.
I would caution about driving in the early mornings as the deer are very active.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Apr 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Superior's North Shore includes many of my favorite local camping spots. Seeing the Northern Lights or the Milky Way over the lake is beyond compare.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Scheduals are set for the rendezvous season this year. My tomohawk throwing was warmed up this last weekend at a Christian Sportsmen's Retreat in Iowa, so no worries there.
I am looking forward to some of the days away from the electronic distractions, and constant hum of traffic.
I know I asked this before, but does anyone know a good way to use a digital camera for star shots?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Grandmama » May 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Puddleglum wrote:Ryadian. If I may put forth my humble suggestion.
If you are looking for a challenge, and are already in the Great State of Minnesota :ymapplause: please consider most anywhere along the North Shore.

And then, of course, there is the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. When we were younger and in better shape, we used to go quite often. It is one of my very favorite places for beauty and peace and quiet (we left the kids at Grandma's!) And, for star gazing and sometimes seeing Northern lights. . . now I want to go back; I just don't want to do the portaging and sleeping on the ground. . .
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » May 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Those Boundary Waters trips were pretty awesome, weren't they? Seeing the Northern Lights reflected on the lake with loons calling in the distance - it doesn't get much better than that.

The Boundary Waters have some of the most spectacular starry skies I've seen, at least until I experienced some of the higher-altitude mountain sites in the US West.

I may not be able to camp this summer (for the first time in decades) since I just had knee replacement surgery. But at least I hope for some day trips, and by October I hope I'm able to make my usual fall color trip along the Mississippi.

I know I asked this before, but does anyone know a good way to use a digital camera for star shots?

I've never tried doing this but I found a number of interesting possibly helpful sites online. This article looks like a good place to start.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » May 28, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks stargazer. I shall try to go through this in short order.
Sorry to hear about the knee. Been "under the knife" enough times to know what a pain it can be. Both literally, and how it puts a damper on activities. I will be praying for a swift, and full recovery.
Meanwhile. The Mrs., and I just returned from a trip to Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks. No tenting unfortunatly, but plenty of wildlife. Mountain goat on the very first day, followed by Many (many :-o :-o ) Bison, Grizzly bears ( always carry you bear spray :-s ). As well as several other critters. Including a rather insistent crow, who upon having his picture taken promptly hopped on the car hood, apparently expecting some payment for the pleasure of his company /:) .
Now that we are home the un-packing must finish before I begin the preparations for this season of encampments. Many a rendezvous has already commenced, and by the photos posted the season looks to be rather enjoyable one.
If you are interested in the "day trip" stargazer the invite is still extended, and i will gladly save some roasted squirrel should you happen to be in the neighborhood. ;)
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby De_De » Jun 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Wow Puddleglum, that seems like quite an experience! I've camped many times, but never have seen much wildlife other than squirrels and hedgehogs.
In about a month we're heading out with a couple of friends to one of our national parks called Taganai. I'm supper excited, as this will be the first camping trip with my husband :ymhug: and this will be my second trip to that park, and it is absolutley beautiful! Can't wait to start packing!
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 30, 2019 7:42 pm

Returned today early from an encampment near Isle Mn. Early only because we were "rained out" as they say.
We knew it was to be a steamy weekend, with high temps in the 90's F, and high humidity. One scare of heat stress followed by a lecture by the EMT attending to drink less soda, and more water. Thankfully the person was non-the-worse for his experience #:-s
With the humidity we had the usual flying blood suckers X( Bu then, what is camping with out some challenges, right?
More on that in a moment.
One thing I look forward to is the stars. especially when camp is far from city lights. I usually get a grand view some as it is my custom is to check the outhouse door well after dark ;) ;) With Jupiter up, and close, and the Milky Way in it's full glory, I was sore tempted to just lay down, and take it all in B-)
But the grass was extremely soggy with dew.
Speaking of soggy. While Marsh-Wiggles are normally quite fond of water we are not much for enjoying the type that falls during straight line winds, and close enough to make you jump lightning strikes #:-s
The first wave hit us about 5am. Taking out a few tent awnings, and at least one tent. The second wave hit about 11am, and added several more inches to the already saturated ground resulting in several of us, who were holding our still intact awnings in place, to experience local flooding.
In our tents X(
Did I mention lightening strikes?
Close by?
Needless to say, we were a little busy helping out more campers with canvas troubles.
Thankfully no injuries were reported. And other than much vexation with the weather, and saturated canvas, bedding, and other assorted gear needing drying after the ( for some, long ) drive home most left with fond memories of meeting with friends, songs shared, and a ( moderate ) amount of sharing in home made wine, we parted ways.
This being the first encampment for me this year, I am determined not to let the weather put a damper on the rest of the season.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Grandmama » Jul 09, 2019 9:31 am

We will be camping the end of this month, so it's time to plan a camping menu. I'm interested in other people's favorite camping foods. Even though I really like cooking outdoors, this trip I hope to keep the cooking fairly simple since we will be at a campground that is new to me and I want to have time to hike the trails. What are some good ideas?
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Jul 29, 2019 4:13 pm

This past weekend was the camping trip Grandmama mentioned above. I didn't join the group due to medical reasons, but I did join them for the day on Saturday (the park is less than an hour from here even with road construction).

There was heavy rain Friday night and more on Sunday, but Saturday was fairly pleasant for Minnesota in July. Some went swimming, hiking along the river, or played games. There was fire, of course.

That evening I attended an astronomy program sponsored by the University of Minnesota, which included an indoor introduction and then an outdoor observing session with several telescopes (one was remotely controlled from its owner's phone, which was really fun). The mosquitoes were horrendous but many of the close to 100 attendees remained behind to look at Jupiter, Saturn, and some other objects. We also saw a number of meteors, some of which were quite bright.

Everyone was back by Sunday afternoon, which is good because a tornado (later ruled to be an EF-1) went through a small town near the park, crossing the same highway I'd driven just hours before. There was property damage but no injuries have been reported.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Sorry I did not check earlier Grandmama. I had posted a suggestion. Or thought I had. For some reason it did not actually post.
modern technology. Go figure. X(
Any-a-how. If you are still going out this season I would suggest foil meals. Always easy, and clean up is simple.
Great for over a camp fire. Just let a good bed of coals develop as you prep the food.
Lay out a double layer of foil. About 12" by 12". Lay on it you veggies, be it taters, carrots, corn, etc. Then meats. Chicken, or ground beef are popular, but anything that strikes you should do.
season to taste.
Then bring the sides together, and roll them into a seam. Then roll one end up tightly. Then tilt up, and add a little water in the open end. Just enough to moisten, but not enough to "drown" the innerds. Some people like to add butter, but I find it tends to increase the chances of burning.
Roll up the end tightly.
Make sure your fire is just coals, and very little open flame.
Lay the meals on the coals, and turn over after about 15 minutes. Let cook another 10 to 15 minutes, and remove. Place on something that won't melt, and carefully on-roll the top seam, making a nice bowl.
then all you need to do is resist the temptation of eating all the good food too fast so you don't burn yourself.
Hope this post works.
Sounds like fun stargazer. ( except for the mosquitos of course ). a grand view of the heavens is always a plus when out camping. I hpe to catch some great vistas before the season is over.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous