Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » May 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Norah paused in the entry on her way to the dining room, an awkward armful of boards sticking up toward the ceiling.

"You folks say your son is missing? Are we talking "he was right here a minute ago" or "I haven't seen him since Dinkling Falls"? 'Cause the first, he'll show up when I ring the dinner bell, like as not, and the second you might want to have a chat with the sheriff."
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Blackstar » Jun 10, 2019 1:36 am

"I haven't seen him since before we got here, so the latter." Eliza replied.
"Ya and we're getting a bit worried." Marcus added while scanning the group once more.



((OOC) I am again sorry about not posting. And to let you know I will not be back online until around the 16th. Good night and thanks for reading.)
User avatar
Blackstar
NarniaWeb Regular
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Feb 14, 2019

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Jun 10, 2019 12:16 pm

"Zale?" Cody heard the familiar name, and pushed past the crowd to get to the couple he'd heard say it. He realized the pair must be Zale's parents, and felt a great deal of relief. "Did you say you're looking for Zale? He's here... I mean, he's in town with us. Last I saw him, he was sitting under a tree."

Cody was struck by guilt for abandoning Zale like he did. He'd more or less assumed that someone had found him and brought him back into the group once they'd all started moving on. He really should've double-checked that. His eyes dropped to the floor as he added, "He... he looked like he wanted to be alone for a while. But I know he was looking for you. I mean, assuming you're his parents - he was looking for his parents."
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12085
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Blackstar » Jun 25, 2019 12:32 am

“Thank you. That really helps narrow down where he could be.” Eliza sweetly smiled at Cody for the information that he gave to her. Marcus also smiled knowing they were one step closer to finding their son.


* * *


Zale felt a bit awkward just standing outside so he finally decided to gather up the courage to go inside. Once he had made it inside he saw that there was a group of people talking to each other. While looking closer at the group he noticed Cody near the center. Zale wanted to get Cody’s attention because he was one of the only people he knew, but it seemed that he was occupied with whatever the group was talking about. Meanwhile, he spotted an unoccupied seat and sat down.
User avatar
Blackstar
NarniaWeb Regular
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Feb 14, 2019

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Norah gave the dinner bell a good, hard ring. No one--unless they were deaf as the grave--could miss the sound.

"Come 'n get it!" she hollered for good measure.

Her guests soon filled the benches. Norah and her helpers bustled between the kitchen and dining room, keeping the serving bowls full. Conversations sprouted around "please pass the salt" and "did you try this dish?"

It was later than the usual dinner hour, but they were unusual guests. That didn't affect any appetites that Norah noticed. With a smidge of luck she could pack everyone up to bed, content and well fed, and let tomorrow bring what it would. A good night's sleep would give perspective to the situation.
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby aileth » Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Molly smothered a big yawn. If she wasn't careful, she was going to fall asleep into her plate of food.

"Wonder what kind of sleeping arrangements they've got around here. Sure hope that 'hitting the hay' is only a figure of speech," she muttered to the boy beside her. "Are you Zale? My name's Molly. Actually, hay wouldn't be too bad, considering some of the things I've tried to sleep on," she continued, chuckling.

Other people seemed to be finishing up their meal, so Molly began collecting up the clean-scraped plates and stacking them into a pile.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
User avatar
aileth
Moderator
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 19, 2019 6:07 pm

As quickly as Molly scraped the plates, Grace whisked them away and into soapy water. Another dried, and Jephthah carefully stacked them. Clean up passed quickly, and soon everything was back where it belonged.

Grace stood in the doorway, watching as Nora bustled about, directing the last few folks to their appropriate rooms.

“It seems you have everyone quite sorted, so think I’ll head out and get these two to bed myself,” she said. “Goodnight, Nora, rest well.”
Avatar thanks to AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 8050
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: may vary
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Aug 13, 2019 10:12 am

Faye still didn't know what to make of all this, but she had to admit some relief that the townsfolk had stopped asking questions that they didn't really have satisfying answers for. Still, she was all too grateful when the meal was wrapped up and everyone went back to their separate rooms.

Throughout the meal, she'd been musing about what could've happened. Time travel? She didn't know of a time when Ditto Town was ever called "Original", but then again she wasn't an expert in history. And yet, it was too similar to the town's actual history. There was something weird going on here, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

When she was in the bedroom with the other women, she decided to get another question answered. She cautiously glanced out the door to make sure none of the townsfolk were about, before asking in a low voice, "Did anyone else think the Sheriff seemed familiar? Something about him...." She had an idea in the back of her mind, but it was too crazy an idea. Wasn't it? "If I didn't know better, I'd say it was Dr. Milner. But then why didn't he recognize any of us?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12085
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby aileth » Aug 16, 2019 9:24 am

"That's funny," Molly looked up from the pillow she was adjusting, "I had the same feeling. Only I didn't think of Dr. Milner. Now that you mention it, though...." She shook her head, not in disagreement, but in puzzlement. "It just doesn't make sense. This whole--situation--doesn't make sense. Was this--well, whatever this change is--an accident, or is there some kind of plot or scheme or scam going on? And why were the townspeople so touchy and suspicious? I'd really like to know," she added, tucking up her blankets, "but I'm almost afraid to ask."
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
User avatar
aileth
Moderator
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Bernadette had been allowed to help with dinner--she'd been The Best at Laying Out dumpling wrappers--but after that she'd wanted to see more of the strangers. So she'd gone upstairs to see what the rooms Norah had given them looked like.

The trouble with being So Small (Benjamin assured her she would grow but Bernadette wasn't sure she believed him to be the authority on this) was that sometimes you were overlooked. Still, Bernadette Wasn't Eavesdropping. Certainly not. No how. Not her. She had been Inspecting the Beds. (It was important that they had been made properly in the morning. Bernadette had no idea Why, but adults fussed about this point.)

Bernadette peered over the foot of the bed and stared at the ladies with wide eyes. "You were in an Accident? Is that why you think we're suspicious?"
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Faye winced; stupid! Stupid of her not to check the room itself first. Then again, she hadn't been expecting an eavesdropping little girl. "Well, sort of... maybe... we're not really sure." Faye let out a long sigh, and glancing at Molly, she admitted, "But I suppose it's hard not to be suspicious when a bunch of people appear out of nowhere with no adequate explanation of where they came from. We'd probably feel the same in their position." Well... maybe not because that wasn't that unusual in Ditto Town, but the point still stood.

She turned back to Bernadette and gently explained, "Look... there's a lot we don't know about how we got here. But maybe you could help us figure it out. Do you know how long Dr. - the Sheriff has been here?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12085
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 19, 2019 12:08 pm

If there was one thing Bernadette loved, it was Being Helpful. She stood on tiptoe, crossing her arms on the footboard in imitation of Grace at the bar. She smiled her most Helpful Smile.

"We don't have a doctor," said Bernadette. "Just the Sheriff. He's been Sheriff as long as I can remember. Are your sheriffs doctors? Mrs. Norah always says we could use a good doctor."

It was a stretch to reach up to the top of the footboard, so Bernadette switched to sitting on a nearby trunk instead. "What's add-e-kate?"
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby aileth » Sep 10, 2019 4:49 pm

It was still dark when Moĺly woke up. At first she thought it was the middle of the night, but after lying awake for a few minutes, she became convinced that it was closer to early morning, and that it would soon begin to grow light.

More shut-eye, she thought, closing her eyes determinedly. But her eyelids had other plans. Soon she was staring at the blank above her, thinking over the events of the previous day. The musicians, the sheriff, the boarding-house people. Then that little girl--what was her name, Bernadette?--sweet little thing, she seemed. And very precocious! Molly wondered where she belonged in the scheme of things; she had meant to ask who her parents were, and had forgotten.

After a while, Molly began itching to get up. Could she dress and creep out without wakening the others? She loved to go for an early morning walk, especially when no one else was stirring.

Quietly, she slipped out of the room, boots in hand so as to make less of a clatter.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
User avatar
aileth
Moderator
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Anthony had been beyond charmed to discover that he was expected to brush his teeth in a little porcelain bowl, that the mattress was held up by a tightly knotted set of ropes, and that he needed to polish his boots.

He'd stared at his cravat in the cracked mirror, trying to memorize the knot so as to be presentable in the morning, and then rolled up in a quilt humming Brahm's lullaby. It was fully dark when Anthony sat bolt upright, realizing he was missing something very important.

His violin!

Where had he left it? Why had he left it? What was he thinking? How could he have been so scatter-brained? Who had the violin now? Were they taking care of it? What if they didn't latch the case and dropped it?

Heart thudding wildly, Anthony felt around under the bed for the case, certain he'd only dreamed he'd forgotten the violin at the tavern. But his long, sensitive, fingers didn't find anything--not even a dust bunny.

But how could he have dreamed he forgot it, if he was dreaming this whole Wild West experience? No, he must have neglected to grab the case when things turned weird. Therefore, he was still dreaming, which meant he probably should retrieve his violin. Anthony wouldn't normally have exited through a second story window, but it was a dream and the chances of having a valid reason to tie two sheets together and knot them around the bedpost were otherwise slim.

His shoulders and upper body were very much awake and aching from the effort of not falling two stories when his feet touched the ground. Anthony left the question of whether he would return to his bed the same way he'd left it for when he got back to the boarding house and set out for the tavern.

The sky had turned from black to a misty gray, and there was the early morning chill to the air, when Anthony reached the spot where the adventure had started.

And this time, the tavern door was locked.
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Sep 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Walk: By the Tavern

“Couldn’t sleep?” Harry asked, lolling against the railing. “Too bad. Hugh’s closed up for the night.”

He looked down the street, gazing into the nothingness of the morning mist.

“So how’d ya learn to play?”
Avatar thanks to AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 8050
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: may vary
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Sep 12, 2019 6:41 pm

"Adequate means 'good enough'." Faye explained. Deciding not to draw any more attention to themselves, she told her, "Look, we probably shouldn't hold you up any more, I think we all need to go to bed. And that includes you, I think. Thank you for all your help, Bernadette."

After that, the ladies all went to bed and fell asleep rather quickly, so Faye was left to her musings while she dreamt. As you might imagine, this didn't lead to a very restful night. There were too many questions swirling in her head, and she wouldn't be satisfied until she had some answers.

One time when she opened her eyes again, and found it was still dark (but lighter), she realized that there was noise going on in the room. She looked around, and saw that Molly was getting out of bed and creeping away. Faye dressed herself as best as she could - probably looking astoundingly horribly dressed to the natives - and scooped up her own boots to follow.

Luckily, Molly hadn't gone too far by the time Faye caught up with her. She ran up and, a little breathless, whisper-called, "Molly! Where are you off to?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12085
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest