This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Animals

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Animals

Postby kidSpain » May 16, 2019 3:01 am

Hello
I would like to find pictures about the different animals of narnia. There are some mythological animals,such as, Centaur or Dwarf. I need also a bit of the story of these animals. I mean if there is something about how they were created or about what they have done in Narnia's story.
kidSpain
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: Animals

Postby Col Klink » May 16, 2019 6:40 am

If you mean how they were created in Narnia, you can read The Magician's Nephew. If you mean how they were created in "real life," centaurs are from Greek mythology. Dwarf used to be a slur for little people but I believe there is a race of creatures called dwarfs in Norse mythology which is more similar to how they are portrayed in Narnia.

If you want pictures of the Narnian versions of these kinds of creatures, most copies of the books are illustrated. If you want pictures of other versions, I would suggest google. Or if you live near a library, ask a librarian.

Out of curiosity, have you read the books? Because I feel like answers to most of the questions you ask could be found just by reading them. They aren't hard books to read.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby kidSpain » May 16, 2019 11:17 pm

I read them and I´m reading hem. What i mean about animals, it is that when you watch a tv serie there is a biogarphy of the person(build of the person). There are things that sometimes doesn´t appear on the TV serie but it is important to know about their past.

I finished reading the magician's nephew this week. I read the creation but i would like to know if there is something specific about centaurs or other animals. Other books that explain to me different things about this group of animals or other groups.
kidSpain
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby coracle » May 17, 2019 3:05 am

Col Klink wrote: Dwarf used to be a slur for little people but I believe there is a race of creatures called dwarfs in Norse mythology which is more similar to how they are portrayed in Narnia.

As a member of a couple of organisations that support people with dwarfism, I can assure you that the word 'dwarf' is still okay, although 'person with dwarfism' is probably the best. The word that is generally considered offensive now is [midget] so if you hear it please tell the user that it's not okay. :)

In fairy tales and modern fantasy, dwarfs are a separate race, like goblins or elves. In Tolkien and his imitators, the plural is [dwarves], but it is not correct elsewhere.
The mythologies of Europe include various small peoples, some with magic power and others with evil intent.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie