This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby fantasia » May 07, 2019 6:59 am

We're having a rainy/stormy week this week. Two nights ago we had penny-sized hail that came in riding the winds of a collapsed tornado. In fact there was so much hail that yesterday afternoon at about 1pm my neighbors still had a mountain of the stuff sitting in their yard. It was 70F/20C.

I think we're passed the severe stuff now, but flooding is a concern all over the eastern and southeastern part of the state.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Kalta79 » May 07, 2019 11:10 am

Weather's warming up again, and I really hope we don't have a fire season like last year or worse. Already been 3 or 4 fires about an hour away from here already, and it's not even officially fire season yet. And our specific area seems to be a magnet for any smoke from a fire within 500 miles. I like breathing...
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Puddleglum » May 11, 2019 8:00 pm

It certainly trying to behave like summer weather. Still a bit chilly in the morning with temps in the upper 30'sF. But warming up quite well. At least until the early evening when the a slight drizzle to dampen any more yard work. But, by then we were both tuckered out, so, eh!
Looks like we might see 70F by Monday with on, and off rain. I can stand at least some rain especially with the grass seed coming up so well.
I don't know if it's the Marsh-wiggle, or being in Minnesota, but with fishing opener this weekend I more-or-less expected a bit more of a wash out.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Nippy mornings here but still very dry & brightly sunlit. It has been snowing down in the Snowy Mountains, a bit later than it has done for this time of year. Winter is finally on the way.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » May 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Meanwhile winter can't decide about leaving here. Just the other day we reached 82F/28C, the first day in 241 that we reached 80F.

Now there is a cool rain outside and snow north of here, and our area is under a frost advisory for tonight. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » May 26, 2019 3:40 pm

We have had storm after storm after storm come through our area. I think the bulk of tornado alley has shared in this. But we've had so much rain we're on the cusp of setting a new record for the most rain in a month, ever. Just need about 2" of rain to do so and we have heavy rain predicted for tonight and all day Tuesday.

I love storms, but I don't love flooding and even I am ready for a break.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Kalta79 » May 26, 2019 9:38 pm

We've hit another round of storms here, was thundering earlier actually. Friday and the first half of Saturday was lovely, got as much yard work done as I could, overnight it poured probably half an inch(I usually empty our ducks' water dish at night because of mosquitoes, and there was still water in it this morning. Next door neighbor said end of next week it's going to be storming again. Hope it lets up soon, I have gardening to attend to!
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 29, 2019 1:05 am

fantasia wrote:We have had storm after storm after storm come through our area. I think the bulk of tornado alley has shared in this. But we've had so much rain we're on the cusp of setting a new record for the most rain in a month, ever. Just need about 2" of rain to do so and we have heavy rain predicted for tonight and all day Tuesday.

I love storms, but I don't love flooding and even I am ready for a break.

Quite so. I believe down here we are the flip side of your problems at the moment. We are heading into water restrictions despite a desalination plant which many ridiculed back in 2009, when we had our last drought, & is now proving its worth. Much as I sympathise, hearing of heaps of tornados in Nebraska & Ohio, to the north of you, I could wish some of that water might come down here.

Dorothea MacKellar wrote: I love a sunburned country, a land of sweeping plains.
Of ragged mountain ranges, Of droughts & flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jewelled sea.
Its beauty & its terror, the Wide Brown Land for me.

(Australia, Australia, the wide brown land for me)

This is part of a well quoted poem here which was set to music when I was a schoolgirl. Though it never came to anything, I sort of thought at the time this song in its entirety would have made a good national song, if not the National anthem. The whole poem says all too poignantly just what it is to live in Australia, & what sometimes others here forget.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » May 29, 2019 1:07 pm

Here in London I've been hoping for a summer as nice as last year, when the sun shone for several months, barely raining at all. This was the first time I can remember seeing browned off grass in the lawns in England!

With the last spring month about to end, there's still no real sign of a hot summer. We've had showers, cloudy weather, even quite cool in the mornings.

Watch this space! :-?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Your London weather sounds similar to ours, Auntie. Almost all days this month have been cooler than average with some rain and clouds, though it looks like the heat (and accompanying mosquitoes) will make an appearance later this week.

fantasia, I've been following some of the severe storm coverage in the central US. Some frightening stuff. At the moment we're too far north to be in the hot zone for severe weather, but that will likely change very soon.

wagga, I think it would take me a while to get used to the 'wide brown land' mentioned in that poem. Things here are in the vibrant green of spring, which is nice to see after months of snow.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 29, 2019 3:55 pm

Yes there is a strong El Nino effect across the Pacific, I believe, & Stargazer, yes you might well find Australia a little hard to take. :) Nice to visit, perhaps, but maybe not always so comfortable to live here? This may be a much sharper drought than the one a decade ago, unfortunately. I hope not, & that it doesn't get as bad as the horrifying drought that afflicted Cape Town, at the southern tip of Africa only a year or so ago. I still wonder why it took so long for water restrictions to come into effect given that there is a sharply increased population around here & that this drought started in spring of 2017.

This, by the way, is the full poem. And it is all about weather.

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kalta79 » May 29, 2019 7:30 pm

Thundering off and on here(Klamath county, in southern Oregon). Been having constant rain lately, with Friday and Saturday morning being the exception, supposed to storm tomorrow too, then heat up and cool down slightly and remain in the 70s for a few days.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Puddleglum » May 31, 2019 7:50 pm

Just returned from a vacation with the Mrs. earlier this week. More on that in a minute.
We have been receiving on, and off rain for the last few weeks. While it does green things up a bit we are hoping for a little less as the sump pump has been running almost constant once the frost broke over a month ago.
Back to happy returns. And I do mean returns as we almost did not. :-s
Did you know that Yellowstone National Park has a howitzer? It is located in what is called on the maps" Avalanche Pass". It is used to trigger small avalanches in order to avoid bigger ones. We apparently missed one of these by a day as we noticed a lot of broken trees, and other debris next to the road the next morning :-o
Note to all who may be interested in going there. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to leave in daylight. In higher elevations it snows almost every day. Driving switchbacks, at night, in a snowstorm, is a call for much prayer. Which my wife did the whole way as we crawled, and sometimes slid our way along.
Snow covered mountains are a wonder to behold. At a distance #:-s .
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jun 03, 2019 11:40 pm

Thanks, wagga, for the poem. It certainly does invoke a lot of imagery about what your country is like. (I would like to visit Australia someday, both for its scenery and astronomical sights).

Avalanche Pass, Puddleglum? That sounds a little ominous. I've only been to the western national parks in the spring or summer, though in northern ones like Olympic or Glacier that means there is still plenty of snow to be seen.

Meteorological summer began here June 1, and beginning tomorrow it's going to try living up to that, with high humidity and temperatures, and chances for severe storms.

The sky here has not been blue of late, but rather a pale, almost milky, white. Sunrises and sunsets have had spectacular shades of orange and red, and the stars are dimmer at night. This is due to forest fire smoke blowing down from northern Alberta, carried over 1000 miles (1600km) by the jet stream. It's even visible from space.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Jun 07, 2019 1:47 pm

And my brother is not far away from that northern Alberta forest fire (about 30 kms). He is watching on a fire tower near High Level, but he was not the one to call this fire in, for it happened on his day off, otherwise he might have had the opportunity.

But here, thousands of kms east, we have had so much rain over the past month. Spring has been very late. Poor farmers: many of them are only starting to plant now, as the fields have been moisture saturated.

This is our first stretch of dry weather since I can't remember when. And the first period when we have had temps in the mid 20s for a few days in a row. It was only a week ago or so when we were still dropping down to near freezing at night. ;))

I have planted our veggie and floral gardens over the past few weeks: with all the rain and now the sunshine, they are doing very well. We are on a bit of a higher point, so the rain has not flooded us out, as it has a few other places in Ontario. :(

We are even supposed to have a humidex reading on Sunday, blech. :P Starting to count the days until it begins to feel like Autumn. ;))
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 12, 2019 6:49 pm

Oh steady on, johobbit! :) :-o It isn't even the summer solstice yet, let alone the Autumn equinox. I'm glad, though, your garden is flourishing, & that you have had better luck than we have been having of late.

It is said we may get rain, but they said that last week, when though it did rain for a day or three, in a "skittery" sort of way, it still did not do much to alleviate our tumbling water resources. It has been chilly when it is cloudy.

Stargazer wrote:The sky here has not been blue of late, but rather a pale, almost milky, white. Sunrises and sunsets have had spectacular shades of orange and red, and the stars are dimmer at night. This is due to forest fire smoke blowing down from northern Alberta, carried over 1000 miles (1600km) by the jet stream. It's even visible from space.

Some of those spectacular orange & red sunrises & sunsets, I've been told, also happen when there has been volcanic activity recently. Two of them within days, Mount Agung in Bali three days ago, & currently Mount Sinabung on Sumatra, with a 7 km ash cloud, is still erupting as of today.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext