Homeschooling

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: Homeschooling

Postby fantasia » Apr 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Question: Have any of you homeschool alums ever done either Story of the World OR Mystery of History OR (Bonus) both of them? Just curious as to what you thought of the curriculum.

A couple weeks back I got to meet my current homeschool hero/fav speaker, Andrew Pudewa, who is the head of Institute for Excellence in Writing. (fledge1, look up his videos on YouTube and take notes. ;) ) I talked him through where my oldest two kids were at and he recommended a few things which I went ahead and ordered. Once I get them I'll decide whether I want to incorporate them this year or save them for next year. A good friend of mine has the same stuff I do and she alternates semesters where she uses Logic of English for phonics and IEW for spelling/writing. I might look at that too as we totally burned through LoE last year.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 27, 2019 4:03 pm

We didn't, for our history curriculum we had Abeka, Drive Thru History, and the American Heritage series plus library books. Those sound slightly familiar, so might have had friends that used them.

Congrats on finishing the year, fantasia!

SnowAngel
"The person who understands the lovingkindness of God
is always ready to persistently seek, ask, and knock on the door
that opens up to a world they have done nothing to deserve."
~Michael Card
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby mm1991 » Apr 30, 2019 9:43 pm

We did not use either, but from a quick glance, I really like that The Story of the World seems to be specifically created to be enjoyed together as a family, rather than that being an after-thought. I haven't seriously looked into either though!
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Previous