This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

Postby aileth » Apr 26, 2019 12:50 am

Mmmmm! Brussel sprouts! Contrary to so many kids' taste, I have always liked the strange creatures, even boiled to mush. Favourite way to cook them? Prepare as for boiling (remove outside leaves) cut in half, place round side down on a pan, and roast in a hot oven. A bit of salt and oil make it delectable (coconut oil is better than canola)

My oldest brother, who does any gardening that is done, has tried brussels in the past, with limited success. They did grow, though they remained small, almost too small to use, and were mildly afflicted with "friends." Not so bad as the broccoli, but enough to make it a pain to deal with them.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Grandmama » Apr 26, 2019 8:40 am

Aileth, I have had roasted Brussel sprouts and I can eat them that way, but still not a big fan. Maybe I'd like them better with Kalta's suggestion of bacon and cheese. ;)

The weather forecast for today looks promising, so the plan is to take advantage and get the rhubarb dug up, divided, and moved to it's brand new bed.

It's later now and the rhubarb has been divided and moved! I just hope that I didn't move too many weed roots to my new weed free bed--I removed all the ones that I saw, but the rhubarb should have been divided years ago and the roots were difficult to separate.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » Apr 30, 2019 7:05 am

Well I woke up this morning to a little bit of snow on the ground...wish I could say I can't believe that, but I've been told it's snowed on the Fourth of July here before(rarely though). Only thing I've got planted outside is peas and salad greens though, and they don't mind the cold. It's gonna get back into the 60s and 70s starting tomorrow though, so no biggie. But I don't think I'm gonna start any more seeds. Not only because I'm out of peat pots and out of room to put them anywhere now, but with the new ducks that I have to hurry up and get their new residence ready for, and just other stuff I'm doing, I'm trying not to overdo things.

Oh my broccoli raab sprouted a week after I started the seeds! More stuff should start sprouting soon.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » May 02, 2019 11:26 am

Today I'm heading 300 miles south to Pella, Iowa for their Tulip Festival. I know I will get jealous of how far ahead Spring is there compared with here. But that won't stop me from enjoying thousands of tulips blooming! (and also enjoying Dutch treats from street vendors--I'm getting hungry just thinking about it) ;)

This week here has been rainy, so I hope that when I get back we will have some sunny weather so that I can get carrots, beets and shallots planted out in the garden. Beans too, if the soil is warm enough. It will be at least 2 or 3 more weeks before all the little plants that are currently under lights will go out in the garden.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » May 02, 2019 1:58 pm

I started cantaloupe, spaghetti squash, and watermelon seeds today. One of the nasturtiums has sprouted, and I think one of the Shasta daisies has as well. Trying to find my corn seed packet to grow my own for the chickens/ducks.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » May 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Enjoy those tulips Grandmama! :D

Kalta (and anyone else to whom this applies), do you eat your nasturtiums? I think I remember seeing that they're edible, but I only grew them one year for decoration.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Kalta79 » May 02, 2019 8:24 pm

I didn't the first year I was successful with them, because I was just so excited they bloom, but I plan to this year. Friend uses them as a salad extra. They're supposed to be a little peppery.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » May 03, 2019 6:41 am

We finally bought a house, and the people before us liked to garden...and there is LOTS of awesome things coming up. Can not wait to see what it all is. At the college I work at I am off in the summer so I will be working at a green house, hoping to get a lot a more good stuff for the yard.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » May 07, 2019 6:57 am

We had a significant amount of penny-sized hail come through two nights ago, riding the winds of a collapsed tornado. All of the plants that were against the north side of my house were absolutely striped of their leaves, which included my raspberries and strawberries. :( I know the plants will recover, but the strawberries in particular were loaded with blooms and I suspect that took out the first round of fruit for the season.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Grandmama » May 07, 2019 1:52 pm

fantasia wrote:We had a significant amount of penny-sized hail come through two nights ago, riding the winds of a collapsed tornado. All of the plants that were against the north side of my house were absolutely striped of their leaves, which included my raspberries and strawberries. :( I know the plants will recover, but the strawberries in particular were loaded with blooms and I suspect that took out the first round of fruit for the season.

Sad! Hail is so damaging to the garden.

In answer to your earlier question, I have not yet tried eating the nasturtiums, but I may try them this year if they do well. Trying new things keeps life interesting. :)

Today is lovely, so carrots got planted in the garden and my tomato and pepper seedlings spent a little time outside in the shade. I think I will head back outside and do some digging since I have some perennials that need to be moved. I limit digging times or this old lady gets too stiff and sore!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby mm1991 » May 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Conga-rats on the house, fledge! Anything you hope will already be in your garden?
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Kalta79 » May 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Hail is devastating indeed...one June years ago we had a freak thunder/hail storm that cost some of the nearby farmers bad. Here some of the hail stones actually tore right through the leaves of our lilac plants. And the noise from that storm was awful, it sounded like a freight train running right past the house for a couple hours.

Supposed to get a series of thunderstorms next week. Hope there's no hail, just rain to keep fire danger down. My lettuces, cantaloupe, spaghetti squash, beefsteak tomatoes, and watermelons are sprouting.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » May 16, 2019 12:08 pm

We've had what I would call actual Spring weather for several days, so I've been out in the yard and garden, getting as much done as possible before the weather turns hot. Today it is 80 degrees F (which I do consider hot), so I've been working in the shade when possible.

A friend from church divided some of her daylilies for me--she has over a dozen varieties to choose from, which was fun. I put them in to a newly dug perennial border around our deck. Most of our yard is quite sandy, so it was quite a surprise to me to find clay 8" down when digging the new bed. I dug out about another 8" of the clay and relocated it to where the paths will be in the garden. Then I mixed plenty of compost and cow manure with the top soil to fill the hole back in. I hope the result is a good place for daylilies to grow. I foresee doing some rearranging in years to come as I learn which ones bloom when.

Our new raised beds are almost all complete and in place, which is good since it's nearly time to get them planted! Yesterday was the average last frost date for our area, so I'm eager to get things in the garden. Right now all my little plants are enjoying the sunshine on the deck.

The alpine strawberries that I started from seed are still very tiny. I hope they survive and grow, but if not, I'm only out $2.95 for the seed.
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » May 24, 2019 6:35 am

Well we've had lots of rain and colder temps over the past few days, hail on Tuesday evening(apparently there was snow for a few minutes right before the hail, neighbor told me, but I was 'hiding' and refusing to look out the window). Luckily I had kept my starts inside. And my cotton is finally sprouting! I really hope I can get them to grow properly this year, not only because I'm just about out of seeds, but I have that spinning wheel and it's much easier to grow a plant than it would be to raise sheep and shear them.

And it's funny, I planted 5 peat pots full of the rest of my nasturtium seeds middle of last month, but only one of those seeds sprouted, and our new pastor's wife had mentioned on facebook how much she likes them, so I figured I'd give her my single one Monday, had two sets of leaves already. Wednesday morning checking my starts, two other nasturtiums had sprouted.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » May 24, 2019 6:57 am

Kalta, I'm intrigued by your cotton! How much cotton do you grow? I'd think you'd have to grow a lot in order to make good use of it.
Do you have any kind of cotton gin that separates the seeds for you? A couple years ago, someone brought a tiny one to our state fair for demonstrations. Two of my kids got to throw some cotton seeds in and then came home with cotton fuzz.

This year my garden consists of one Cherokee Purple tomato and a Jupiter green pepper. My son picked out the latter. ;))

But I've managed to do a lot of gardening in the flower department. My front flower bed is done. The bulk of the big plants that my sister designed for my fairy garden are in and I think growing. One of my clematis is a bit unhappy, but I don't think it's dead, just set back. For Christmas my sister-in-law gave me a bunch of tiny hanging pots, which I filled with moss roses and alyssum and hung all over my dead decorative tree branch.
My sister gave me a flat of plants as a late birthday gift and I still have four plants to find a home for. Two of them I know where to put, but the other two I'm not sure about.... Everything is sooo wet and soggy right now, it's hard to work in the garden right now.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Kalta79 » May 25, 2019 8:50 am

I've never really had much luck til now, I think I'll only have 2 or 3 plants, and I'm going to do it all by hand if I actually get some bolls.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext