This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm

That cold front is the talk of the town here. It's 68F/20C here right now, the warmest so far this year, but the 4 major models agree we're going to get piles of snow later this week. ;))

(One hints at up to 40 inches/1016mm but that seems extreme. We've never received that in one storm, though the 1991 Halloween Blizzard comes close. But 12-18 inches (300-460mm) seems real likely).

We're hoping to get a campfire in this evening before the fun starts.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 09, 2019 6:57 pm

The Mrs., and I got home a little bit ago. I was looking longingly at the fire pit as we walked to the back door :( :(
The forecast looks dire.As stargazer stated, we are expected to receive a reminder that the weather is indeed a fickle creature. I have just taken the shovels out of the garage where I had just deposited them, safely I had so foolishly assumed< for the duration.
Wind gusts up to 25mph with wet sloppy snow blowing, and freezing to everything. Haul out the cold climate gear dear humans, and talking beasts. :-o
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Apr 10, 2019 8:02 pm

The weather this time of year amuses me.
NOAA wrote:Sunday A 30 percent chance of snow before 7am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 61F.

I hope all of you Northerners are doing ok with that blizzard! I've been watching the radar for most of the day.

Did you all see the pictures of the pollen haboob? Talk about an allergy sufferer's worst nightmare. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby mm1991 » Apr 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Yesterday was 73F. Today 34F. Why are we being tortured so?! :(
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Grandmama » Apr 11, 2019 1:49 pm

fantasia wrote:
I hope all of you Northerners are doing ok with that blizzard! I've been watching the radar for most of the day.

Not a tremendous amount of snow (thankfully!), but the roads are really messy! I drove to a doctor's appointment this morning and noticed that people seem to be staying home if they didn't have a reason to be out and those who were out were actually driving with respect for the road conditions. Maybe it has something to do with hundreds of accidents on the interstate yesterday, which actually closed the road.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Work was closed for me this day, so I was allowed to stay home, and be lazy. Well, not so much. When the Mrs. had to go to work I shoveled out the back drive. While I was at the sidewalks needed clearing too.
Nice, heavy, and with the constant waves on the radar, it was a shovel, rest, repeat, most of the day. At least I remembered to throw with the wind.
We did have some excitment when thunder rolled a few times. A dash cam actually caught a lightning strike near Alexandria Mn.
One curiousity was the sleet that fell. It was a dark orange, or brown color. The evening news stated that it was elsewhere in the state as well. As it turns out, the front that pulled moisture from the Gulf of Mexico also pulled a lot of airborne dirt with it for the thousand miles all the way from Texas :-o
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Apr 12, 2019 10:51 am

The local news also mentioned the odd snow color and its source.

The Twin Cities avoided most of the extreme weather, though the 8.9 inches (225mm) of snow is good enough for 10th place on the April snowstorm list. It's still snowing, so it may move up in the list.

We had everything yesterday: high winds, snow, rain, wind, drizzle, thundersnow, and thundersleet. It was pretty if you didn't have to drive anywhere.

It was a different story west and south of here. A town near Aberdeen, SD, reported 25 inches (635mm) of snow, with whiteout and blizzard conditions. Hundreds of power poles were blown down by ice and wind in southern Minnesota and one county declared a state of emergency since so many were without power in the (relatively) cold conditions. Accidents closed Interstates 94 and 35 for several hours but conditions are improving now.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Apr 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Tomorrow is the first chance this year for severe storms in my area. I hate to admit this, but I'm looking forward to it (there are no tornadoes forecast). I LOVE thunder and lightning :D :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Apr 17, 2019 4:51 pm

This is April in Ontario ... we had a beautiful spring snowfall only a short while ago, but tomorrow is going to hit 18C/64F, then fall by 10 degrees to more seasonal for Easter weekend. We had a lovely thunderstorm (our first one for 2019) a few nights ago, and more rain is expected tonight, along with some electrical action too, apparently. Rain tomorrow through Saturday, with Easter Sunday being sun/cloud, high of 13C/55F. My crocuses have just come in bloom, so pretty.

fantasia wrote:I LOVE thunder and lightning :D :D

DITTO-DITTO!!! :D

aileth wrote:We had a little bit of snow (3 inches?) here in Penrith area, jo, and knew that you would have liked it, even if no one else did.

Haha, yep. ;))

Actually, this morning when I went out (6:50), I had to scrape the ice off the car. Tough stuff!
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 20, 2019 6:55 pm

And yet Washington Post is talking about rapidly melting of ice in Alaska. :-o It is still rather warm for this time of year, & still too dry. We'll see by Thursday which is ANZAC day this week. Chilly enough for the traditional Dawn Service though.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kalta79 » Apr 20, 2019 6:59 pm

We've had 3 days of nice weather, actually suitable for wearing shorts, then another storm system moved in and it started raining overnight, off and on since then. Really wanting like a week of dry weather so we can get stuff done outside. Getting a few runner ducks in the next few days that needed to be re-homed and haven't been able to properly clean out their new quarters. Would like to get it done BEFORE they're here, but oh well.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Apr 21, 2019 7:06 am

Here in London, UK, we are having a very warm Easter. At 3 pm it's 23 degrees C, and the sky is blue, the wind is light.

Have to get myself some more clothing for this warmer weather!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 23, 2019 6:49 pm

I must report a fairly Good Easter weather wise. A tad on the cool side, and a little bit of a breeze. But, still fairly Good.
The temps look to be on a slow upswing with mid 60'sF today, and some ten degrees warmer tomorrow.
Chance of rain on Thursday morning, and a cool down ( knew that was coming didn't you? ) this weekend, along with some wet stuff falling from the sky.
For the most part we cannot complain as the multiple feet of snow is almost gone. Some of the bigger piles yet linger ( I actually saw one that was over three stories high in the Twin Cities a month ago. Still there, no doubt. )
The Mrs., and I enjoyed our first outside fire this evening after some yardwork, and even cooked some Brats. Hoping it will be the first of many.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Apr 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Easter was quite pleasant here, and we've enjoyed a couple backyard fires. That April snow is all gone, and things are greening up quickly. The trees are blooming and so are my allergies.

A chance of snow is in the forecast for the northern part of the state. ;))
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Apr 27, 2019 3:59 pm

For the first time this spring the forecast for the upcoming week is all storms. *throws confetti* :D ;)) Ready for some proper, tornado-free, hail-free, thunderstorms. I mean, they're just a requirement of springtime in Kansas. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Puddleglum » May 06, 2019 8:37 pm

After a few days of somewhat warmer weather we are once again told by those folks on the news that the dreadful white stuff might make a brief showing tomorrow night :-o
Personally, i am in denial =; [-( I just mowed my lawn for the first time this year. After that there must be some rule, set in stone, ever to be followed. "No snow shall fall after the mower has been used."
Alas. The cooler temps shall not relinquish it's grasp with 50'sF showing by Wednesday, along with showers on, and off most of the week.
Ah well. At least the grass seed is getting watered. 8-|
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext