Books: 2nd Edition

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: Books: 2nd Edition

Postby Arwenel » Apr 11, 2019 10:28 pm

I read the remainder of Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle sometime over the weekend -- i borrowed the e-books one right after the other, and weekends blur together anyway. It's not the worst way to read a series, but it does mean everything is kind of blended together now.

I really enjoyed it. It's a very character-driven story, and i loved the characters. It's been hard to start reading anything else, though i don't have anything else from the library that i'm super-excited about reading.

The Josephine Tey book turned out to be A Shilling for Candles, which so far is much less predictable than the first book i read by her, but not much gripping. I don't expect to hate it, but i don't plan on reading more of her books, either.

I also skim-read Fairest -- skim-read because of the intense secondhand embarrassment i had, mostly in scenes between Evret and Levana. I think it could have gone on a little longer, shown how she went from where she was once Evret died to where she is at the start of Cinder, but i have a better understanding of her now. I put Winter on hold, so almost done with the series.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby johobbit » Apr 12, 2019 11:30 am

I just now saw this on Andrew Peterson's Rabbit Room Chinwag FB page, and had to share it here. I grew up on many books that became lifelong favourites, Cleary's many fun and beloved tales being some of them. She turns 103 today, wow!
Then, in turn, we read and re-read her books to our own kids, who also hold very fond memories of the adventures of her memorable characters. B-)

Honouring Beverly Clearly's 103rd birthday!

Sig by Narnian_Badger :)
johobbit

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 13, 2019 1:02 pm

johobbit wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:Oh, my dad had Martin Luther by Eric Metaxas in a box in the garage, the siblings found it and put it on one of the family room bookcases.

Read it, read it! :D So good, with much detail, immersed in Metaxas' always interesting, sometimes quirky (wittily so), and very memorable way of writing. Have you read his Bonhoeffer or Amazing Grace (William Wilberforce) bios, SnowAngel? They are also of excellence. As well, we very much gleaned from and enjoyed his 7 Men and 7 Women books (mini bios). He is one of our favourite modern-day authors/biographers.
Ah, no, the size of the biographies has kept me from attempting to read them in the past.

Would you believe my dad also had Amazing Grace in another box of books? He brings his (IHMO) boring books into the house and leaves the possibly interesting ones in boxes. 8-| And my library does have 7 Women, so I have add it to my list to get next time I go the library.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a long nonfiction audiobook that I could listen to for a few weeks that would also be a book I would probably not be able to read through due to the length, so I picked William Tecumah Sherman. What...it's just 28 hours. After nearly three weeks I am just over a third of the way through it, and while it is interesting I am really ready for the story to get the Civil War years.

Last night I finished Elementary My Dear Watkins by Mindy Starns Clark, not the most satisfying ending to a series. But I am happy I was able to finish the series. This only "grownup" book I finished this month, all the rest of the books I have read in April where my brothers' juvenile military books they wanted to share with me. :) I might have helped them pick out the books at the library...and allowed them to get extra books via my library card. ;)

Next up Border Son by Samuel Parker, probably not going to get much sleep or work done once I start this one.

SnowAngel
"The person who understands the lovingkindness of God
is always ready to persistently seek, ask, and knock on the door
that opens up to a world they have done nothing to deserve."
~Michael Card

SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Previous