This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Television Discussion Thread

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Television Discussion Thread

Postby Kalta79 » May 08, 2018 7:33 am

Janette Oke? I've read one of her books, was hard to get used to the first person narrative but it was a nice book. I have never understood why when people think a book is good enough to turn into a show/movie they have to change almost everything but the title and the character's names. Did I already complain about this? I've done it so many times...was talking at the church potluck two Sundays ago about how there seems to be a lack of originality in Hollywood lately. I've seen previews for WCTH, but I thought it was a TV movie...it's an actual series? But it turns out not that great?
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » May 09, 2018 4:39 pm

I've watched the new Netflix version of Lost in Space. Generally, I enjoyed it quite a bit. As some on social media have commented, it's a lot like LOST, and since I liked much of the storytelling style of that show I guess it makes sense I'd enjoy this as well. There are some problems with the show but they weren't so overwhelming that I would stop watching.

I vaguely remember watching the original series back in the day, though most of it I saw much more recently in syndication. I can't help wondering if the new version of Dr. Smith is more like what the original writers had mind for Jonathan Harris' character (before he became a buffoon).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby SnowAngel » May 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Valiant_Nymph wrote:SnowAngel, I'm thinking of watching The Six Million Dollar Man! Let me know what you think of it :)
It's a fun show. My sister and I have moved onto the third season, I think it might be my favorite season. I have seen the seasons 1-4 already, my sister is watching them for the first time. I like it so much I bought the whole series and The Bionic Woman for my dvd collection that is quickly outgrowing the space I have. :D

ramagut wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:WCTH fans, don't watch the last two episodes of season five! They killed Mountie Jack. :(( I read all of the spoilers and I am so not going to watch them and possibly future episodes as well since they (Hallmark, the producers, etc.) have completely changed the show, they handled Daniel Lissing (who plays Jack Thornton) leaving the show very poorly. Unfortunately the ratings didn't go down for the season finale and so I think Hallmark thinks the fans will be fine with changes in the show. *insert Mr. Knightley telling Emma "badly done indeed".*
SnowAngel

What??? I had not heard about that!!
They changed the show completely from the original Janette Oke books, which is my favorite series of hers.
So, was the actor planning on leaving the show before they killed him off?
The actor had a contact through the fifth season, but decided over a year before season 5 aired that he wanted to leave the show. And knowing that makes the end of season 5 that much worse. Hallmark had time to come up with a better end for Mountie Jack than what they did and to prepare the fans.

The show is extremely loosely inspired by the books, basically only Elizabeth Thatcher's name and occupation are the same as the books.

Yes, Kalta79, When Calls The Heart is a Hallmark show that just finished its fifth season and has been renewed for a sixth season.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 10, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks, SnowAngel! That is good to know. :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » May 21, 2018 11:20 am

Mom might like WTCH, will see if I can find it online for her. Does anyone here watch Midsomer Murders?
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Kaita79, I used to watch it a few years ago, but not recently. (Not because I didn't like it, but I just stopped watching when I didn't have access to a TV for awhile). I liked it at the time :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm

I currently trying to decide if I want to watch the new season of Chesapeake Shores every week or wait until the end of the season and watch it in just a couple of days. I don't trust the Hallmark Channel at all after what they did to WCTH.

I was watching Honey West (1965-1966) with my younger sister, but we only got halfway through before I had to return it to the library due to someone else having placed a hold on it. I placed a hold on it, so we should get to finish it within a couple weeks. We enjoyed the first half of the show.

Has anyone seen The Crown? My library has the first season and I was thinking about watching it.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

TV characters loved Narnia

Postby Mharmon » Sep 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Two characters, maybe both female were talking about their favorite book. Both loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. One asked the other who her favorite character was, and she said it was Edmund. They began discussing that character. Does this sound familiar? Maybe something like The Arrow or Flash? I cannot remember what TV show this was.
Mharmon
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 09, 2019 3:12 pm

We did watch Chesapeake Shores season three and I hope the show will be renewed for a fourth season this weekend. I actually wish Trace and Abby would go away, they're have both gotten very boring, but I would still like to see more of the rest of cast of characters.

I decided to record the upcoming season of When Calls The Heart, but Scarlet and I have agreed we will wait until the season's end before we watch it if we watch it.

I greatly prefer classic TV shows, so I have been wanting to see Zorro (1957-1959) for sometime now. Growing up we had a VHS with a couple of episodes of the show and I loved Guy Williams' Zorro. It's nearly impossible to buy the show, but with the recent additions to our library's interlibrary loan catalog I was able to the first season on DVD. We are about two-thirds of the way through it and having a lot of fun watching the charming Don Diego and his cunning alter ego Zorro. Second favorite character is definitely Bernardo.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Ryadian » Mar 07, 2019 7:49 pm

SnowAngel wrote:I greatly prefer classic TV shows, so I have been wanting to see Zorro (1957-1959) for sometime now. Growing up we had a VHS with a couple of episodes of the show and I loved Guy Williams' Zorro. It's nearly impossible to buy the show, but with the recent additions to our library's interlibrary loan catalog I was able to the first season on DVD. We are about two-thirds of the way through it and having a lot of fun watching the charming Don Diego and his cunning alter ego Zorro. Second favorite character is definitely Bernardo.

My brother has at least the first season on DVD, maybe two? My mom was getting them for him as Christmas presents for a while, but they started getting obscenely expensive. I haven't sat down and watched a whole lot of the episodes with him, but what ones I have seen were really good. I don't watch a lot of movies or shows from that time period, but I really like the sense of adventure that's neither too dramatic nor too silly. Bernardo is one of my favorite characters as well. :)

Honestly, the reason I haven't watched many of them is more just that I haven't gotten around to it than lack of interest. ;)) I might have to borrow his DVDs now - I'm not really watching any shows at the moment (all of my Netflix shows are between seasons and I'm not watching anything on air at the moment).
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby mm1991 » Apr 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Has anyone watched the new Planet Earth on Netflix yet? I am probably going to watch it this weekend. I love all those series, especially Blue Planet.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Got the second season of Zorro via interlibrary loan this week. We started it last night, will try to make this season last a little longer than the first one. We really blew through the first season.

Highly recommend watching the whole series, Rya. It's hard to beat the fun factor in the old shows. :)

I haven't yet watch any of the new season of When Calls The Heart, but I am really intrigued to see what the show will look like when it comes back on TV in May. The whole retooling things due to LL could make it very interesting.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby mm1991 » Apr 13, 2019 5:33 pm

I forgot about When Calls The Heart! I watch only what is available on Netflix. I think I saw the Christmas Special but honestly I can't remember. ;)) And I forgot Lori was on that show too. It's too bad because I really loved that character. Maybe they will recast her? Or perhaps her character will be mysteriously sent away on vacation or something....
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 15, 2019 3:22 pm

mm1991, I stopped watching after the eighth episode of season 5. The 2018 Christmas special is on the DVR, trying to decide if we should watch it or skip to the start of season 6 when we actually start watching it again. I can't imagine them (Hallmark) killing off another character, I would lean towards Abigail Stanton (Lori Loughlin) leaving Hope Valley on a mysterious vacation/trip for the rest of season 6 and a recast for season 7 (which was announced on Saturday 4/13). However with the way past episodes have been structured that might not work, it looks like a lot of season 6 is/was? heavy on the Abigail Stanton plots.

I really liked the character of Abigail Stanton in the early seasons of the show, but the longer the show has gone on the more her character has taken over. I would be happy to see the character leave and Rosemary and Lee have larger roles. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby mm1991 » Apr 16, 2019 10:22 am

@SnowAngel Oh wow, I didn't see that news, thank you for updating me! Now that you mention it, maybe the story was in a good spot anyways to phase out her character. I agree we need more Rosemary and Lee (although Rosemary can be annoying sometimes :p ).
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 17, 2019 8:06 pm

I was a little surprised Hallmark chose to announce the season 7 renewal before airing more episodes of season 6. There's a pretty good fan blog on tumblr and she said Hallmark cut a whole episode from season 6, it's going to be interesting if only for all the fan drama online.

Yes, Rosemary is a bit much at times, but she has so much more character than the other characters. ;)

I'm actually getting interested in the show again. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

PreviousNext