This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Digory and the Bell

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Digory and the Bell

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 06, 2019 4:55 pm

I wouldn't say no music at all. Just very, very soft, to convey tension, as such music often does in movies. I should imagine such music should convey enough creepiness & deadness to convey the menace of the place. Incorporating very soft noises, like the echo of the children's footsteps, maybe the fall of a dislodged stone, that sort of thing. The menace in such music should increase until Digory actually does strike the bell. The noise of the bell, at first merely distinct, should increase in volume, until it is like a clap of overhead thunder, which masks Jadis's movements but not what she first says.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Col Klink » Apr 06, 2019 7:09 pm

It might be a good idea to use the same musical theme for when Digory is tempted to ring the bell as when Uncle Andrew offers Polly a ring. But maybe that would be unsubtle.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Apr 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Col Klink, I have never, ever noticed that before until you said something just now, but you're absolutely right! Polly is tempted by the ring (sort of, she's more tricked, but even so... ) and Digory is tempted by the bell. So in a way, Polly isn't completely innocent either. I hope they play that up in the movie series.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 08, 2019 12:21 am

Reading the book, did anyone notice that Polly, herself, noticed a sound, something like vaccuuming a couple of rooms away, when she first saw the rings? And that the noise seemed at its strongest when she & Digory found the tray of rings in Uncle Andrew's room?

Col Klink wrote:It might be a good idea to use the same musical theme for when Digory is tempted to ring the bell as when Uncle Andrew offers Polly a ring. But maybe that would be unsubtle.

Possibly you are right. But I think even a thematic musical score, such as your observation is suggesting, can be varied to conform to different situations. A bell tone might be up to an octave higher, for instance, depending on its calibration. Have you ever seen a Carillon? That is to say, a collection of bells, in a tower of some sort, that can be used for hammering out musical scores using those bells?

Famous bells include the Liberty Bell, & Big Ben, the tower of which is currently undergoing renovation.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Previous