This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Ouch! That storm sounds bad. So far it has been overly warm this autumn, with temperatures still about 36C or higher, & a decided lack of storms as one would expect at this time of year as the weather breaks. But it has been drizzling & prickling with rain today, barely enough to keep the ground wet. It was about 20C at 6.30 AM on
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 14, 2019 5:20 pm

What with the deep freeze a couple months ago, and heavy snowfall the last month I have been telling folks here-about how spoiled we have been the last few years.
Spoiled, but not defeated X(
We have faced the times to try the noble hearts of beasts, and the Sons of Adam ( and the Daughters of Eve ;) )
When the temps fall enough to make bones ache we don our layers, and scoff (through scarves ) at it all as we stamp the cold from webbed feet and trudge out upon our appointed rounds. Let the wind howl. Lean into it good fellow, make it work for you as the next shovel of snow is thrown.
I climb the wig-wam in defiance X( Shoveling one water soaked load after another from the roof. Below the Mrs. guiding the snowblower, propels the offending slush far from our dwelling.
Extend the gutter drains! Nay breaking frost, I shall not allow water to enter my domain along the foundations =;
Inspect the sump for good working order to expel any offending fluid that dares breach the defenses, and in good measure check the local hardware store adds for sales on pumps should the present one fail in it's duty.
Then, standing vigilant /:) guard (-| as I (-| prepare for the next (-| days work i-) i-) i-)
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Mar 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Welcome to spring (or autumn, Down Under)!

On this first full day of spring, we enjoyed the balmy temperature of 50F/10C, the warmest it has been in nearly 5 months (November 1 was the last date this warm).

Lots of snow remains but is quickly melting, so flooding will be a concern along our rivers and streams.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Kalta79 » Mar 23, 2019 8:57 am

The weather turned warm enough to melt over half the snow, but now it's snowing again right now. Some of the flakes look to be half dollar size...
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am

Ahhh, spring :ymhug: %%- @};- :x The weather this weekend was just gorgeous, upper 60Fs (around 20C). We were outdoors a lot! Walked to church yesterday too. ;)) Trying to take full advantage of these few short days before we make the jump to extremely hot weather, which, for me, is only slightly more enjoyable than extremely cold weather. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Welcome to spring (or autumn, Down Under)!

Ahh autumn! %%- :ymcowboy: @};- The heat has died down a bit, though it was still rather too warm last week, right up to the Equinox. The day is beautiful, just right to sneak off to play golf instead of mowing the lawn. We have had a bit of rain, & tomorrow I'm out for a boat ride along Broken Bay, in the North of Sydney. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Mar 31, 2019 9:47 am

A boat ride sounds like fun, wagga! It's been a while since I've enjoyed one.

Most of our snow is gone now. It really melted fast, but rain and above-average temperatures will do that. Most of the major rivers around here are flooding, though in the city that mostly means just closed streets to keep gawkers from driving into flooded areas.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Apr 03, 2019 1:09 pm

I should have paid more attention to the news yesterday. I was driving through the city and realized that the color was all wrong. It was overcast, but everything was a white/grey blue haze. As there was almost no wind (rare in Kansas) the farmers and ranchers took advantage of it to do the annual controlled grassland burning. The problem was the tiny amount of moving air there was, carried all the smoke into the city. :P

Today the wind is back. No more smoke, definitely no fires! We may have some storms move in later this afternoon, we shall see.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Apr 04, 2019 8:18 am

March definitely came in as a lion and exited as a lion this year. ;)) Storms at both ends. Last weekend's storm was quite the snowfall, coating everything with a thick layer of white. We received just over 4"—so not a huge amount, but, boy, was it gorgeous, truly a winter wonderland! And because it stayed below freezing for a few days, all that beauty did not melt right away. It is mostly gone now—4 days later—except for the large banks and mounds that will take a whole lot longer to disappear, as well as areas of protected snow.

It's been great walking weather in the early morning hours. I start out between 6 and 6:15, when it is still dark, and then head into the dawn. The temp has been around -5C/23F to -8C/17F which is quite perfect (for me): invigorating, crisp, not sweat-inducing. :P

This coming weekend we are jumping up to double digits (in Celsius), then lowering somewhat for next week. Spring rain will be interspersed with sun throughout the coming 7 or 8 days. A few weeks ago, the farm vehicles began showing up along these country roads again—always fun to watch.

I think we may have seen the last of any significant snowfall, but we could have snow up to mid-May, which is why we are 'forbidden' to plant anything in the ground until near the end of May ... just in case. Frost is not uncommon in early-mid May.
johobbit

Postby aileth » Apr 04, 2019 12:35 pm

We had a little bit of snow (3 inches?) here in Penrith area, jo, and knew that you would have liked it, even if no one else did. Our host's plum blossoms are out, and hopefully they will not be harmed; probably not, as snow is better than frost. Also scotched our plans for a mountain hike--maybe next week, if it clears off a bit.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 04, 2019 6:17 pm

the snow is mostly gone as stargazer said. Still hiding away in shadowed places,( just to tease us until the very last no doubt).
The sump pump has been running fairly steady every five minutes or so since last weekend. at least the pond in the front drive is gone.
Temps are climbing sloowwllyyy. We expect to reach 60F tomorrow through next Monday. Rain is expected as well this weekend. We are hoping that it's not an all day affair as the Mrs., and I are looking to catch some fish. ( Note to self. Buy licences ) /:)
The tulips are starting to poke out of the ground, and the locals are starting to tap the Maples for their sweet sap. If I have the chance, and time I might have a go at it this spring. But I have yet to make a tap, and plug. So little time, so much to do.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 06, 2019 5:05 pm

aileth wrote:We had a little bit of snow (3 inches?) here in Penrith area, jo, and knew that you would have liked it, even if no one else did. Our host's plum blossoms are out, and hopefully they will not be harmed; probably not, as snow is better than frost. Also scotched our plans for a mountain hike--maybe next week, if it clears off a bit.

Penrith? Ah yes, you are in England, in the Lakes District then. Do enjoy! We went there in 1997. Don't forget to have a look at Katherine Parr's family castle which is quite near the station. :D Down south, in the other Penrith in the world, where it never snows, we did have a soggy end to March & start to April, but it is fine now, & temperatures are quite pleasant.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby mm1991 » Apr 06, 2019 7:05 pm

I *believe* it's the first day so far this year that the temperature broke 60F where I live!
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stargazer » Apr 07, 2019 4:55 pm

The weather here has been wet with seasonal temperatures (highs around 50F/10C). Tomorrow we might rocket into the 70s (low 20s C) if the sun comes out - perfect for all the visitors here for the NCAA Final Four tournament (or perhaps for the season's first campfire).

Things will green up very quickly, and then it's off to the races with tree pollen allergies.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Still waiting on my fire pit to dry out a little more before using it stargazer. Not too long I hope.
The next few days will be good for little hiking with temps in the upper 50'sF.
there was some sprinkling today, and the weather people say possible rain again tonight. It would be nice to see some of the grey stuff get washed away, but with not enough to increase the saturation we already have. Trying to make the time to do some Maple tapping before the sap stops, but it seems time is not on my side this spring.
It also appears we shall have a downturn in temps again by the weekend with highs only in the 40F + range. Still early, so they could still change their mind. That does happen, right?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Apr 08, 2019 6:45 am

Yesterday was beautiful!!!!!! Sunny, light breeze, 72F. We did some gardening behind the house which wasn't much of a high priority project, we just needed an excuse to be outside. ;))
Today is supposed to be borderline hot. Highs in the mid-80Fs. We have two or three days of this and then a pretty major cold front is coming through and the highs will be back in the 50Fs. There's even talk of snow on Saturday. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext