This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Dark Age of Narnia

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

The Dark Age of Narnia

Postby SirVincentofNarnia » Mar 28, 2019 1:02 pm

When I look through Narnian history, I know about the Golden Age with the Pevensies, and the story of Prince Caspian, but the time in between that, this Dark Age has always puzzled me. I would like to know about any thoughts that people have on this, because in my opinion, this seems like a topic that gets little recognition or is passed over in favor of Prince Caspian or LWW. My thought is that by understanding this Dark Age, it will give a little insight into the story of Prince Caspian.
Let us go on and take the adventure that shall fall to us
-Queen Susan
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

People are quick to judge but slow to correct themselves
-Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
SirVincentofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: The Dark Age of Narnia

Postby Cleander » Mar 28, 2019 7:29 pm

After the Four Kings and Queens left Narnia, the country was wracked by civil wars and petty squabbles (most notably the 17- year long war between the Red and Black Dwarfs) until at last the Council of Centaurs elected Crovian, a noble descendant of Lord Peridan, to the throne. His line, the now-forgotten Crovic Dynasty, lasted until the Telmarines conquered Narnia and killed every member of the royal family... and the fact that I just made all this up demonstrates that this portion of Narnian history is left pretty much up to our imaginations! :D
So that's okay, if the Netflix producers wish to expand the Dark Age of Narnia.
Perhaps it could all start with someone finding a lost scroll or tablet from the Dark Age...
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby JFG II » Apr 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Cleander :ymapplause: :ymapplause: =)) =))

I think Lewis had a tendency to forget large chunks of history in Narnia in favor of telling a new story each time. LWW is very much a myth, even for Lewis, it seems. But at some point he must have gotten bored with Caspian’s time in PC, VDT & SC and wanted to revisit a more innocent time with HHB & MN. Then Lewis did LB, which puts a damper on much of what came before it. :-s :-s
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SirVincentofNarnia » May 20, 2019 4:40 pm

He did yes, which is why I think it could leave the Dark Age open for interpretation
Let us go on and take the adventure that shall fall to us
-Queen Susan
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

People are quick to judge but slow to correct themselves
-Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
SirVincentofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jun 12, 2019 6:56 pm

Lewis did outline a few things that happened in between LWW and PC in his timeline of Narnian history. :-B

35 years after the Pevensies vanished from Narnia and 1050 years since the creation of Narnia, King Cor of Archenland was succeeded by the son he had with Aravis, Ram the Great. This was also mentioned at the end of HHB. According to the timeline Queen Swanwhite of Narnia lived c.1502... though this is contradicted by LB where Jewel says that Swanwhite lived before the reign of the White Witch. WikiNarnia speculates that there were two Swanwhites. In 1998 the Telmarines conquer Narnia and Caspian I becomes king. Telmarine rule continues in Narnia until the events of PC in 2303.

It's strange how little attention was given to that era in the timeline given how large it is (in comparison there are a lot more details given to the time between the events of MN and LWW).
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie